Author Topic: New efforts! -- metadiscussion  (Read 82833 times)

Razy

• Minion
Re: New efforts! -- metadiscussion
« Reply #160 on: September 01, 2014, 02:13:16 AM »
 I am greatful to whomever is doing an effort to bring back the game. I don't need to know who is behind it. If the game is back, yay, thank you so much. It won't make me quit the current mmo i am playing, but it will be nice to have another game to play.
 If coh is not back, oh well, bummer, thanks for the effort. Even so, there are others games on development which makes me happy.

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #161 on: September 01, 2014, 02:14:04 AM »
(though MMO's are, themselves, also such boxes with their own reward schemas).

Only if they're designed that way ;)
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #162 on: September 01, 2014, 02:45:43 AM »
I hope it is an actual studio with some experience handling the return of CoH and not MWM. I know that's heresy to say on these forums, but MWM or the H&V group are the last two groups I would want handling the resurrection of CoH.

Really? because at least MWM would probably be a little more merciful when it came to yanking the rug out from under us. AGAIN.

I would prefer for CoX and MWM to remain separate. But I ain't gonna fuss no matter what happens.... I trust MWM more than I do most gaming entities, that is for sure. They're inexperienced.... BUT AT LEAST THEY HAVE HEARTS TEN TIMES THE SIZE of certain gaming entities I could mention.

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
« Reply #163 on: September 01, 2014, 03:11:12 AM »
You are missing everything that happened. The new folks aren't attempting to enter business with NCSoft - they may not have a choice to get the game. Ok, I will put it on you - NCSoft says you can't have the game if we can't have a profit share for 2 years. Then what?

I want the game.  After reading all of the other thread for months, I've softened to NCSoft.  As long as ending the game isn't in their hands, I'd be okay.  I'm fine with the game in maintenance mode.  I would play it forever, so I hope stays that way.  I took my time but still didn't explore everything.  Even if it were a desktop game (I know it can't be), I would play it solo.

I'm fine with developing CoX2, and I laid out as much as I possibly could for the COT kickstarter (I DON'T think MWM is THeM).

Throughout the last two years I've tried almost every game out there and haven't found one I liked enough to continue with.  Having the old COH in maintenance, the new COH, COT and other games coming out...I'd be fine subscribing to all.
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance

Ice Trix

• Boss
« Reply #164 on: September 01, 2014, 03:19:20 AM »
To add my 2 cents to the MWM theory:

There's nothing to stop them from getting the IP, bringing CoH online, and rebranding CoT to CoH2. With the incentives, all those CoH players would flock to CoT/CoH2.

The question on hand is if the expected playerbase would be worth the costs.
And throw away all their work on their lore? Tshirts, artwork, etc. And face complications about their kickstarter terms and rewards.

Ice Trix

• Boss
« Reply #165 on: September 01, 2014, 03:22:34 AM »
Is it wrong I'd prefer to wait for the score or similar projects to succeed over another group buying Coh. I'd love to have the security of knowing it cant be taken away again.

Lava-Lad

• Minion
« Reply #166 on: September 01, 2014, 04:11:16 AM »
Sometimes I think that it would help everyone here if we all pretended that we were on a big TF/SF with everyone involved, and any posts we didnt 100% agree with was someone suggesting a very very bad build or some suicidal action, like, say, a solo hamidon raid on their kheld because if you can solo ITF you can solo hami.

We're all good people - even if we played bad people - and we all just want our game back. Let's give everyone else a little slack, relax, and remember we're all here for the same reasons.

Maybe the whys of the game back are different - RP, certain ATs, certain content, etc, but we're all only here, Robert included over on facebook, Tony keeping the Network alive, Ironwolf starting this effort and keeping us appraised, etc, because we want our game back. We're allies. Friends.

It makes me sad when we don't treat eachother like we would have in game. We're the CoH community. Let's be heroes to eachother, we can always do alignment mishes to change that later :3

+1

/em golf clap

Lava-Lad

• Minion
« Reply #167 on: September 01, 2014, 04:21:26 AM »
Wouldn't it be funny if it was someone(s) totally out of left field?  But as they say in the medical world, when you hear hoofbeats, think of horses, not zebras....

Wouldn't it be the funniest if MWM and Cryptic (and even SCoRE) were all banding together to do this?   :P

I ABSOLUTELY think SCoRE are involved on some level!  Me oyen alli en Argentina? Reconosemos su trabajo!  Palante, ni un paso patras!

Wyrm

• Stop Dragon My Heart Around
  • Boss
« Reply #168 on: September 01, 2014, 04:35:41 AM »
You are missing everything that happened. The new folks aren't attempting to enter business with NCSoft - they may not have a choice to get the game. Ok, I will put it on you - NCSoft says you can't have the game if we can't have a profit share for 2 years. Then what?
Sir, you have truly confused me.  I can't see how someone who is negotiating with NCSoft would not be attempting to enter into business with NCSoft.  [Edit: Did you think I meant some sort of on-going partnership or co-development deal?  That wasn't what I meant, I promise.  I'm really not trying to be dense here.  I seem to have struck a nerve, which was about the furthest thing from my intent.]

I don't see a problem with NCSoft dictating terms for a property that they own.  I'm not clear what in my post makes you think anything needs to be put on me.  Like Risha, I'm no longer in the "anti-NCSoft" camp.  I was purely thinking about things from a PR perspective.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 04:41:43 AM by Wyrm »

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #169 on: September 01, 2014, 05:25:05 AM »
It is now Monday, here in Texas, as it is 12:24am CST.

WHAR ANNOUNCEMENT?!?

:D

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #170 on: September 01, 2014, 05:26:56 AM »
Pretty much the only place it isn't monday yet in the US is here on the west coast, buuut I'm going to imagine they meant some time on monday and just relax waiting for it to happen between noon and five tomorrow.
Woo! - Argent Girl

candidate

• Underling
« Reply #171 on: September 01, 2014, 05:50:18 AM »
Ditto !

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #172 on: September 01, 2014, 06:17:43 AM »
Pretty much the only place it isn't monday yet in the US is here on the west coast, buuut I'm going to imagine they meant some time on monday and just relax waiting for it to happen between noon and five tomorrow.

The way I have it figured, if the South Korean workday is 8:00A to 5:00P local time, as it is here (more or less), that would correspond to approximately 7:00P to 4:00A, U.S. Central Daylight Time. Their Monday starts during our Sunday evening, and ends before most of us get up Monday morning.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #173 on: September 01, 2014, 11:20:05 AM »
Okay. Interesting. To me that smacks of some sort of mental disability/illness since even most trolls aren't that persistent and occasionally break character when trying to post as semi-literate ranters. i have to say you've done a damn fine job since i wasn't even aware of his existence until earlier today.
I've had the dubious pleasure of encountering some of his posts from early on up to now. He's not illiterate, as much as employing a very crude, unfocused, stream-of-consciousness approach to communication. That and the overall personality (obsessive focus on single subject and paranoia among other things) indicate he may be autistic, and not a good case of it either.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Shadowe

• Boss
  • Just don't tell Manticore...
« Reply #174 on: September 01, 2014, 11:52:04 AM »
I've had the dubious pleasure of encountering some of his posts from early on up to now. He's not illiterate, as much as employing a very crude, unfocused, stream-of-consciousness approach to communication. That and the overall personality (obsessive focus on single subject and paranoia among other things) indicate he may be autistic, and not a good case of it either.

A week or so ago I (foolishly) responded to one of this individual's rant posts. It was (quite rightly) deleted, as I expected.

My read on him is that he is ignorant and rude, though passionate, with very little self-control. Oh, and supremely selfish. Personally, without a clear-cut medical diagnosis, I doubt he's actually autistic, but has severe anger-management issues - he has an axe to grind, and no intention of stopping, and a personal beef with Tony which makes the Titan Network a perfect place for his (futile) "revenge" for whatever imagined slight he's received.

Ignore, flag for moderation, and move on. His behaviour is not at all representative of our community, and I, for one, do not welcome him any more than I would the scum who used to beat up one of my ex-girlfriends.
The wisdom of Shadowe: Ghostraptor: The Shadowe is wise ...; FFM: Shadowe is no longer wise. ; Techbot_Alpha: Also, what Shadowe said. It seems he is still somewhat wise ; Bull Throttle: Shadowe was unwise in this instance...; Rock_Powerfist: in this instance Shadowe is wise.; Techbot_Alpha: Shadowe is very wise *nods*; Zortel: *Quotable line about Shadowe being wise goes here.* FFM: I think you're mostly wise in this instance, apart from one part.

Relitner

• Boss
  • ree-LITE-ner
« Reply #175 on: September 01, 2014, 01:14:39 PM »
On the MWM theory. Where would they get the money? From the kick starter? Would that even fly with the backers? They don't even pay the people that are making the game (from what I've read) you really think they'd have 500k+++ (I have no clue what it would cost) to buy the ip? I don't feel like that's very realistic. I think cryptic or some other company is a more plausible.

My guess at this point is a game (or other software) company who has yet to foray into online gaming on a massive scale, and has the cash reserves that caused NCSoft to blink. Like a Mojang or something along those lines.
in nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti amen

Philly Girl

• Underling
« Reply #176 on: September 01, 2014, 01:22:31 PM »
Thanks Tony for being the level headed one who is looking after the community rather than looking for some feeling of popularity and power for being in the know. Even if some of the community doesn't understand.  You have proven many times that you genuinely care.

Sihada

• Minion
« Reply #177 on: September 01, 2014, 01:49:24 PM »
Poor example. LEGO's brand loyalty was most likely what kept it just above water long enough to get turned around. In fact, it's been well-documented that the reasons LEGO was going under was because they tried too hard to make money. Instead of taking care of their CORE fanbase (i.e. loyal customers), they had started trying to become some kind of "lifestyle" brand with clothes, watches, videogames, etc. They were delving into business structures they didn't even understand. The reason they were turned around was because they put someone else in charge that "got" the taking care of your loyal customer philosophy.

You misunderstand.  I was not talking about the global LEGO brand; I was specifically talking about the Lego Universe MMO.  Which failed because it did not make money.

If COH is resurrected, and it does not make money, it will fail again.  That's the bottom line.

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #178 on: September 01, 2014, 02:21:35 PM »
You misunderstand.  I was not talking about the global LEGO brand; I was specifically talking about the Lego Universe MMO.  Which failed because it did not make money.

If COH is resurrected, and it does not make money, it will fail again.  That's the bottom line.
Lego Universe had a bad revenue model from day 1. Its F2P setup was broken beyond measure.

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #179 on: September 01, 2014, 02:41:55 PM »

At least you said "probably"...as there is no proof how they would handle canceling CoH since...they have never ran or sunset a game.

I have no way to trust MWM...they have no track record. It's easy to say "Bad bad gaming company" when they have ran and shut down numerous titles...but at least they have ran titles. I wished them well in their kickstarter, but did not donate...for the same reason...I will trust them when they have an actual product. Will/Would I sub to CoT...sure...once it's an actual thing and not a few story boards and what have you... It's all fine and dandy to be optimistic and cheerleader-like, but when it comes to CoH...I want an actual team who have ran an MMO before. I want a team who is in one central location that are working 8-10-12 hour days and not doing it as a hobby. I think what they are doing for CoT is great...and look forward to it, but when it comes to CoH...I want professionals who make the return of CoH their job....

Really? because at least MWM would probably be a little more merciful when it came to yanking the rug out from under us. AGAIN.

I would prefer for CoX and MWM to remain separate. But I ain't gonna fuss no matter what happens.... I trust MWM more than I do most gaming entities, that is for sure. They're inexperienced.... BUT AT LEAST THEY HAVE HEARTS TEN TIMES THE SIZE of certain gaming entities I could mention.