Author Topic: If we could bring COH back what would you change?  (Read 36349 times)

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
Re: If we could bring COH back what would you change?
« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2013, 06:28:42 AM »
You mean what we have now?

/rimshot

Rimshot   (HAD to do it!)
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Peregrine Falcon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2013, 03:20:04 PM »
I didn't really want to make a new thread for this, so I'll ask the question here.

If a company did buy the City of Heroes IP and engine, would you want the original relaunched immediately? (perhaps with a virtual server so all characters are on the same server) Or would you prefer that they create a new City of Heroes 2?

CoH2 would have the same features CoH had, but better graphics, better balanced powersets, and better mission design (choices, no being sent to 15 different zones in the same story arc). But the catch is that, since it's a new MMO, you'd have to wait 2 or 3 years until it launches.

So which would you prefer?
Paragon City refugee - "We're heroes, it's what we do."

damienray

• Lieutenant
« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2013, 03:24:03 PM »
I would want it relaunched immediately. Characters as they were, just let me in and let me play. <waves wallet>

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #83 on: April 11, 2013, 06:22:53 PM »
I would want it relaunched immediately. Characters as they were, just let me in and let me play. <waves wallet>

+3

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2013, 12:06:20 AM »
+10000
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Dollhouse

• Boss
  • "What will happen? Will I dream?"
« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2013, 02:57:03 PM »
If a company did buy the City of Heroes IP and engine, would you want the original relaunched immediately? (perhaps with a virtual server so all characters are on the same server) Or would you prefer that they create a new City of Heroes 2?

The original, please. I have to admit that the game's genre (comicbook superheroes) never appealed to me all that much. I got dragged into the game by some good friends of mine (who are fans of the genre), and stayed for over 8 years because...well, I think we all know how appealing the game and its community were.

Another superhero game, even a CoH 2, would only be minimally attractive to me. I'm already playing more technologically advanced games (in genres more interesting to me). I want my CoH community and characters back, thanks! 

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #86 on: April 16, 2013, 06:15:30 AM »

If it was me doing it, I'd put the original game up as it was aside from finishing Issue 24, and immediately start work on CoH 2. But that's me.

SeaLily

• Lieutenant
  • green hair
« Reply #87 on: April 16, 2013, 07:07:43 AM »
Something that would be kind of fun is if/when the game's brought back, they could do it issue-by-issue on a monthly basis.  Start with issue 1, next month issue 2, then the next month issue 3, etc etc.  The game's whole lifespan condensed down for people to experience all over again as it's 'rebirth'.  Sure, that's about a 2 year process, but that gives them plenty of time to create a bunch of new content... or to just work on CoH2.  Though I'm sure such a thing is probably not feasable- I doubt Cryptic/Paragon/NCsoft kept every single major update's code on-hand this far down the line and this long past shutdown.

Still, I see other games doing this sort of thing and say "that could be fun to experience again!".
green hair

Golden Ace

• Boss
  • Moon Zone Damn it!
« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2013, 02:08:26 PM »
Something that would be kind of fun is if/when the game's brought back, they could do it issue-by-issue on a monthly basis.  Start with issue 1, next month issue 2, then the next month issue 3, etc etc.  The game's whole lifespan condensed down for people to experience all over again as it's 'rebirth'.  Sure, that's about a 2 year process, but that gives them plenty of time to create a bunch of new content... or to just work on CoH2.  Though I'm sure such a thing is probably not feasable- I doubt Cryptic/Paragon/NCsoft kept every single major update's code on-hand this far down the line and this long past shutdown.

Still, I see other games doing this sort of thing and say "that could be fun to experience again!".

some yes, some no.

I hated the re-toggle the tank pvp game.  one of the reasons I stopped going into pvp zones for years

GamingGlen

• Boss
« Reply #89 on: April 16, 2013, 03:43:50 PM »
Relaunch immediately.

Oh hell no.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #90 on: April 16, 2013, 06:13:40 PM »

That might be cool. I can't help thinking though, there'd be a lot of people unimpressed with having to wait 23 months before they could play their water blaster again.

How about this instead. While they're developing new content, or upgrading the engine, or making the sequel, they run "Echo Servers". Each one is set to a key point in the development timeline, just before or just after a major change, and folks could play indefinitely at that point. There would be no advancement of course; perhaps crucial bugfixes, but no major changes or new features would be added to those servers. What you see is what you get. And there would be no server transfers or global mail between Echoes either, since some Echoes would be missing critical features that certain characters would need just to exist. For example, you're not going to run a Beam Rifle / Time Corruptor in the Issue 1 state of the game.

Looking Glass: Issue 1. No Villains, no Epic ATs, no respecs, no badges, no capes or auras. No ED. No PvP.

Destiny Manifest: Issue 7. Villains, Kheldians, SG Bases, ED, PvP.

Midnight Hour: Issue 12. Inventions, auction house, new Hami, radio & bank missions, Rikti invasions, Ouroboros, Cimerora, Soldiers of Arachnos.

Dark Mirror: Issue 17. Day jobs, second build, reward merits, level pacting, Mission Architect, power customization, ultra mode. Change to PvP.

Incarnate: Issue 20.5. Praetoria, tip missions, alignment merits, alignment changing, merged markets, one Inf to rule them all, gleemail, merged transits, universal hospital care, third build, inherent fitness, Leagues, incarnate merits, Null the Gull. Alpha through Destiny Incarnate abilities.

Freedom: Issue 24. New tutorial, new Atlas, Galaxy explodes. First Ward, Night Ward, Praetoria explodes. Extreme Makeover: Dark Astoria edition. In a hurry? Take the TUNNEL. Travel at 4, Ouro at 14, epic pools at 35. Shiny New Penny, Death of a Statesman. Power Pool customization, Invention bonus de-weakening, Trainers multiclassing as Tailors. Paragon Points, Super Packs, capes at level one. One haunted house and two blockbuster movies. Stalker Plus, Blaster Plus Plus, Hybrid Incarnate ability. A zillion badass powersets. The Skulls get over their fear of cooties and let girls join the club.

It would take either installing multiple versions of the client, or integrating a capacity into the launcher to "swap out" the file groups unique to each version. But I think it could prove itself worthwhile overall. Every single player who ever left the game over a certain major feature could come back to the game they used to play. And then there's those who want to run in the past as well as the present, for comparison or nostalgia or even just for kicks.

I doubt anyone would ever do it, mind you, since they'd basically have to run customer support for six different games. But hey, as long as we're dreaming right? 8)

Golden Ace

• Boss
  • Moon Zone Damn it!
« Reply #91 on: April 16, 2013, 10:12:44 PM »
put issue 3 or 4 instead of 1 and you have a deal. :D

SeaLily

• Lieutenant
  • green hair
« Reply #92 on: April 16, 2013, 10:19:45 PM »
Yeah, running some sort of 'retro server' at a specific issue or 'retro progression server' that slides through them over time, alongside a modern one running the newest issue, would be the way to go- I wasn't saying they should make that the only option.
green hair

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #93 on: April 17, 2013, 01:20:02 AM »
Yeah, running some sort of 'retro server' at a specific issue or 'retro progression server' that slides through them over time, alongside a modern one running the newest issue, would be the way to go- I wasn't saying they should make that the only option.

Ohhh okay. Well in that case your idea would probably be more likely, since there'd only be one other version to maintain and support. But either way'd it'd be seriously cool.

I only went with issue 1 cause I figured there should be a pre-ED option, and I wanted to spread 'em out a bit. 3 or 4 would be perfect too :D

Absolute

• Lieutenant
« Reply #94 on: April 17, 2013, 03:25:01 AM »
Midnight Hour: Issue 12. Inventions, auction house, new Hami, radio & bank missions, Rikti invasions, Ouroboros, Cimerora, Soldiers of Arachnos.

WANT

Loved Issue 12.

I'd prefer the Issue 24 PvE to be honest, but a frozen Issue 12 PvP would be my preference.

Reiraku

• Boss
« Reply #95 on: April 17, 2013, 04:14:53 AM »
WANT

Loved Issue 12.

I'd prefer the Issue 24 PvE to be honest, but a frozen Issue 12 PvP would be my preference.

This. So much this. I'd pay someone in Nazi gold just to have this.

glimmershade

• Underling
« Reply #96 on: April 17, 2013, 03:14:14 PM »
CoH2 would have the same features CoH had, but better graphics, better balanced powersets, and better mission design (choices, no being sent to 15 different zones in the same story arc). But the catch is that, since it's a new MMO, you'd have to wait 2 or 3 years until it launches.

So which would you prefer?

Your insinuation that everything CoH 2 would have would be better and overall a better game. I don't see where there's any guarantee that would be the case. Shinier graphics, maybe. Balanced powersets and mission design? Again no guarantee that what was come up with would be better than what we have. On the whole, I'll take option 1.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #97 on: April 19, 2013, 03:41:53 AM »
If CoX came back, I'd like to see a further expansion of the AT specific story arcs.

silvers1

• Boss
« Reply #98 on: April 19, 2013, 11:39:02 AM »
- Better graphics engine.
- Better servers.
- NO power proliferation.  I liked having powersets unique to specific ATs - I felt that power proliferation was
way overdone.
- More zones/content.
- Revamped Mission Architect ( too many changes to list here )
- Revamped Base Editor
- Consolidation to just one currency.
- IO set bonuses that make sense.  ( i.e. defense bonuses with defense sets,  combat bonuses with combat sets, etc. )
- Removal of the store - all content purchasable in boxes instead of micro-transactioning to death.
- Incarnate content available to everyone.
- Enhanced character creater -  ability to create morphed body parts  ( i.e. Wreck-it Ralph with the oversized hands, fat characters, etc. )
Asymetrical costumes.
--- Hercules - Freedom Server ---

SirKittles

• Underling
« Reply #99 on: April 21, 2013, 08:46:12 PM »
If CoX came back, I'd like to see a further expansion of the AT specific story arcs.

Wait...there were AT specific story arcs? How did I miss such a thing?
"What do you think, everyone?"