Author Topic: I had a 'relapse' moment today.  (Read 10052 times)

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
I had a 'relapse' moment today.
« on: December 12, 2012, 11:49:28 PM »
For those that do not know, I work in the Mall of America in Minnesota. It's a very large mall, and each section has a different architectural and aesthetic style to try to 'break up' the monotony of the place. The South section is done up in lots of white, with inset lights, including the ceilings. It's very pretty.

I caught myself thinking, today, that I'd like to try to build that ceiling in the base editor. Specifically, the thought was "I wonder if I can recreate that ceiling in the base editor?" A split second later I caught myself and winced internally. The answer, of course, is no. No, I cannot recreate that ceiling in the base editor, because my base is gone. My City is gone. My home is gone.

We've reached another 'hurry up and wait' stage of our multi-tiered war against NCSoft, the destroyers of our beloved home. Make no mistake, this war is about getting our City back. Nothing more, nothing less. Our victory parameters are not the destruction of NCSoft, or the unemployment of its employees, or perpetuating misery and suffering. We have a single victory parameter: The return of our City, in the hands of a responsible party. The moment that happens, we withdraw. Period.

It's been quoted on this forum that we shouldn't expect movement from Disney--one way or the other--until after the New Year. That makes this a waiting game, something that is very hard for us to do. The loss of our City is still raw, still burns like a fresh wound. Many of us shed tears regularly, myself included. Some, shed tears daily. It's easy, during this moment of sadness and grief, to give in to despair and hopelessness. Then I see something that galvanizes me.

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Those words come from our very own Victoria Victrix, who we have also come to know as the much lauded and acclaimed fantasy author Mercedes Lackey. These words strike straight into the heart and soul of our movement. I am uncertain if, as she typed them, she realized the import they carried. This does not change the fact that, for me at least, they are a fundamental truth. Through exploring a City of Heroes, we ourselves became heroic. City of Heroes promoted teamwork, companionship, and compassion. By playing that game, by "living" in that world, we took some of that into ourselves. City did not make us heroes, but it compelled us to make ourselves into heroes.

"We are heroes. This is what we do." - TonyV

Our rallying cry has sprang forth from this. Amidst cries of "AP33!" and "Save our City!", these words continue to ring out and pierce the dark corners of the internet. They resonate with each of us, because each of us has, in turn, taken in something heroic from our time spent in Paragon City. Even the villains among us, having stood beside us for such threats as the Rikti, Mot, and the Praetorians, recognize that sometimes--just sometimes--even the self-serving must stand for the many. At the very least, they recognize that they must stand for their own world. After all, that's where all their stuff is!

Many people who played our game, who walked our City streets, have found true love, happiness, and powerful friendships through City of Heroes. I found the most important person in my life through this game's community, and so have many of my friends. For those of us who had the opportunity to be brought together, I am grateful. Many, however, will not be given that chance now. Who knows how many will never meet someone they were meant to be with? For those who have lost this opportunity to NCSoft's own short-sightedness, my heart weeps.

I stand resolute. I will not falter. We will not fail. Stand with me. Raise your head. Dry your tears. We have mourned and buried our dead. It's time to get our metaphorical guns and stick to them. Spread the word. Raise awareness. Shout at the heavens. Don't limit yourself to your own friends and family, don't limit your sharing of knowledge to just other gamers and geeks. Reach out to your communities. Talk to random people you meet. Spread the word. Fight the fall of our City.

Don't sit on your laurels waiting to hear back from Disney on TF Hail Mary. Keep sending letters. Get others to send letters. Letters, and letters, and letters. Wrote one already? Write more. Let them know that you're interested enough to keep on top of it, and keep shouting at the heavens. I want NCSoft to hear our roars of defiance all the way in South Korea. I want the Mouse to hear our combined voices and realize that there is a market here. There is a strong, willful, loyal community waiting to give them money if they invest in restoring our City to its former glory.

Give not an inch. Delay not a second. Don't just stand your ground, advance. It's time to start fighting back, not give up.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Lucretia MacEvil

Re: I had a 'relapse' moment today.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 12:36:05 AM »
I still come up with new character concepts sometimes.  Having to remind myself that I can't actually make them is incredibly painful.

Stay Strong! 

Jordan_Lee

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 12:55:31 AM »
lol when CoH comes back you should hire yourself out as a supergroup base interior designer. I couldn't do much of anything with my base.

:( I still have the game in my start menu, I want to play soooo bad. I miss my characters and my badges.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 02:42:39 AM »
Thank you, Grimmie.  There is a reason why this season, back in the Old Times, was not joyous, but fearful.  What if the sun continues to dim?  What if it goes out and leaves us forever in the darkness?

We have to band together against the growing darkness and fight for the return of the sun.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 02:46:09 AM »

Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 02:51:22 AM »
Got a new wallpaper.  Thanks much.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 03:05:16 AM »

Oh man, do you have that in ginormous size? Say... 1920x1080 ? :p
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 03:16:15 AM »
Thank you for this post, Drake. It's exactly what I needed to read tonight.

You have my sword.

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 03:21:51 AM »
I still come up with new character concepts sometimes.  Having to remind myself that I can't actually make them is incredibly painful.

Stay Strong!

with the icon program that codewalker worked up you semi-can create characters and stories for them

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 03:48:36 AM »
Oh man, do you have that in ginormous size? Say... 1920x1080 ? :p

Yes please!

Lovin' that one, healix :D

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 04:14:06 AM »
Try this...

Larger
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 04:21:52 AM »
Well said, Drake, and well done, Healix.

We have taken the initiative and moved with urgency. It's less than two weeks since the lights went out in Paragon City. We've accomplished a lot in that time. A heroic effort, in fact!

But we must also have patience. That doesn't come easy for us. Whatever the case, I'm confident our adversary is at least aware that he made a dreadful blunder, one that will haunt his company for however long they uphold that callous phrase, "shut down permanently."

Whatever happens, I'm here to the end, too, with the puny skills I have to offer. Whether that end will be the surrender of Paragon by NCSoft, or the "low road," as I have dubbed it, only the years will tell.

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 04:25:27 AM »
I've caught myself doing that sort of thing before Drake, but not from City of Heroes--from DOOM.  I used to make levels all the time for DOOM--danged good ones, too, and I still find myself thinking of stuff in terms of linedefs, sectors, and vertices.  :)

I can certainly sympathize.  I've gone multiple weeks without getting to touch City much before thanks to work--longer than this.  It's the fact that double-clicking that icon on my desktop won't do anything now that hurts.

Vasarto

• Boss
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 04:27:26 AM »
I wanted to make a Whinnie the pooh character and make him into a Tank of some kind.
I made one with Hero Editor but I think I should had shrunk the guy down a bit.

HERE HE IS!
Spoiler for Hidden:

I think I should had miniaturized him.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 04:42:03 AM »
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Vasarto

• Boss
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 05:01:53 AM »
I made this up for a little Holiday Cheer!

Invuln + Super STR

Spoiler for Hidden:

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 05:10:49 AM »
Thank you for this post, Drake. It's exactly what I needed to read tonight.

You have my sword.

And my schteel!

Damn it! (Turns Army of Darkness off.)
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 05:14:42 AM »
You don't turn off Army of Darkness until it's over. Those are the rules.

Ziggy1890

• Underling
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 05:35:13 AM »
Man I miss camp snoopy..

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 05:51:01 AM »
(Irrrelevant dithering warning.)

And my uh... hmmm.... :: Looks around. :: My trained attack kitten!

I still call up the MIDS designer. I enjoyed making builds. While I still think the IO system needed balancing and tinkering, it was very neat to be able to tailor your character into something unique.

I made up "Colette" as a team scrapper in defiance of the solo scrapper model. In all her variants (stalk, brute) she had the leadership togs and healing to bring to the team. I was really salivating over that magic pool too. She played with the team in mind as well, stomping sappers on sight, and woe to anything that dared attack a squishie on her watch.

Ascendant used my Invul build, designed to maximize psi resist and hit points. He said the build was "golden." Very proud. Interestingly, Smersh took a different direction and maxed his def.

When the came starts up again, whistle me up. I'll make 'ya a build.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 06:20:36 AM by Colette »