Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7329055 times)

CreVo

• Minion
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #1360 on: May 25, 2014, 10:29:31 PM »
I think that's a bit of a harsh assessment, Crevo...I don't think anyone's trying to crush anything. A lot of choices were made when it seemed that matters were set in stone and out of anyone's control...recent developments have changed the outlook considerably.

It's not really harsh. CoT piggy backed the movement and took attention away from getting actual CoH back. It's just nice to see someone still trying to get the real game back. I'm sorry if you have confidence in the other game, but that's just my opinion on the matter.

tl;dr I'm happy someones doing something to save CoH.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #1361 on: May 25, 2014, 10:43:50 PM »
It's not really harsh. CoT piggy backed the movement and took attention away from getting actual CoH back. It's just nice to see someone still trying to get the real game back. I'm sorry if you have confidence in the other game, but that's just my opinion on the matter.

tl;dr I'm happy someones doing something to save CoH.

I don't think you have a full grasp of the order of events, or the initial intent behind the original Plan Z. It didn't move beyond the idea/planning phase until after (in the case of CoT, well after) the actual server shutdown.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

CreVo

• Minion
« Reply #1362 on: May 25, 2014, 10:54:01 PM »
No i fully understand. That doesn't change anything i said or believe of the project. You can hope and dream all you want, I'd rather have CoH.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1363 on: May 26, 2014, 12:04:59 AM »
CoT (and H&V) literally have never "crushed" any efforts (that is ludicrous to even imply), nor diverted anyone's attention from anything (people are capable of multi-tasking, including hoping for one game to come back, *AND* helping build a new game - this is NOT a BINARY STATE). People can do both of these, and more in fact.

Continuing to insinuate otherwise will result in moderation, as you are not speaking truths.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

CreVo

• Minion
« Reply #1364 on: May 26, 2014, 01:14:20 AM »
Threatening moderation because you dislike someones opinion Isn't scary. Since you've decided to try and make more out of it than it is, I'll simply -explain- my opinion to you as to why I think the way i do about how City of Titans was propelled by the City of Heroes community wanting its game back, and helped take the eye off of NCsoft and on to new horizons. [Why does this have to be a bad thing btw?]

http://massively.joystiq.com/tag/city-of-heroes/

Perfect example for you is this simple link. "City of Heroes" On sites like Massively, MMORPG, and other outstanding sources for the MMO communities will produce more links for City of Titans than they will actual City of Heroes. You may be thinking "Gee, well that makes sense because City of Titans whole marketing campaign is that It's directly tied to City of Heroes and is looking to build a new home for its player" Well that's exactly right, It did swoop in when the cards were down and go "Hey, we're gonna build a new home for players of the City of Heroes game, despite some of our team having never even played the game". Your immediate jump to me thinking they're bad people and should be blacklisted from trying to do something is absurd, and threatening me for speaking an opinion you dislike is even worse.

Now let me explain to you why i believe this game is forced. A lot of their game used the thunder of City of Heroes to bring in life blood, but is it -really- a "City of" game? Or is it just another hero game? I don't know, and neither do you. Why is that? It's not even remotely concept yet and there isn't enough information to even make any kind of assumption that It'll even remotely resemble City of Heroes in any form or fashion. Putting "City of" in front of the game feels forced to me to appease an audience. Is my opinion possibly a little rushed and skeptical? Yes. Ive had tons of MMOs promise me all kinds of wonderful things and never ever deliver. All except City of Heroes. I have through trials by fire earned the right to be skeptical about upcoming MMOs. Until there is more information and actual  game visuals, and systems released I will not really trust the "City of" in front of it, nor will i believe that is anything more than them trying to bring back something they miss dearly. Why does that have to make me a bad person who should be banned? Answer: It doesn't.

I'm sorry you got blinded with rage over someone not buying in to hype just because they put "city of" in front of the title, but nothing i said was untruthful or unjust. It was my opinion which i stated VERY clearly, and even offered my apologies to the individual if i offended something they like. Nothing will ever replace City of Heroes, and i will never apologize for having that opinion. Ban me if you want, but just remember you're the one who jumped to conclusions and turned a simple opinion of skepticism into a hate speech and damnation of a product that isn't even revealed.

I may not be the most elegant with what I'm trying to say, but i do apologize for it sounding more than it was. I hope the above helped you in understanding. For the record too, I support City of Titans in their efforts. I just would -much- rather have City of Heroes because of how much it means to me, and everyone else i got to know over those many many years.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 01:28:43 AM by CreVo »

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1365 on: May 26, 2014, 01:30:09 AM »
Trying to claim that I'm mad or something because of something you said is adorable. It's also completely wrong, and putting words/emotions on me that you need to realize aren't there.

You'll get more results from CoT on Massively's CoH tag because they're literally ordered by date. And almost everything recently has been about CoT, not CoH, because any efforts for CoH have to, by necessity, be quiet and behind the scenes - which is not something any news sites report on.

You'll get more search engine (google/etc) results from CoT because google weights results by age as well as how well linked something is as well as all kinds of other factors. But the main things are the age and the inter-linked status - the CoT posts get linked to each other A LOT because they're all new stuff.

The CoT devs have never claimed to be a "City of" game. They've always said CoT would be a spiritual successor, an updated, modernized, adapted new game, not a clone. It has several nods to CoH (EDIT: including the title) but that's because that's where they're (almost) all from.

I will moderate you if you continue, because this thread is not the place for it. (PS: I said "moderate". That means remove or edit your posts. I did not say "ban". Refrain from claiming something I didn't say.)
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

CreVo

• Minion
« Reply #1366 on: May 26, 2014, 01:38:42 AM »
Them being tagged anything by date Isn't the point. The point was when i search "City of Heroes" and get "City of Titans" So does everyone else. -Literally- pulling the eyes away from the "Heroes" and putting them on "Titans" is exactly what I was saying was happening. You "put words" into my mouth and assumed i was making a bigger claim than i was. So maybe we both shouldn't assume things before flooding a thread [Which you started, you could have just PM'd me with something instead of trying to be public about it and then ask not to be]. I'm glad we cleared that up. Oh and one more thing, and this is the last thing you are -free- to PM me anytime if you want to discuss further

"The CoT devs have never claimed to be a "City of" game."

"City of" Titans.

I'm just saying.

(again though, I don't hate/dislike/am not trying to down City of Titans or its Developers or the people who invested or are excited for it. This was -my- opinion on how I personally feel about it. Maybe Its not whats actually happening in the eyes of investors into the purchase of City of Heroes, or any other companies but Its how -I- feel)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 01:49:55 AM by CreVo »

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1367 on: May 26, 2014, 01:57:14 AM »
 :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #1368 on: May 26, 2014, 02:16:52 AM »
Wow man, just because some ex-CoH players banded together to do the unthinkable and build our own MMO, that has not at all taken away from any save CoH movements. We can manage more than one iron in the fire as we very much are right now. Currently there are two known reverse engineering efforts, three attempts at new CoH inspired games and this New Effort to officially get the game back. You're being insulting to the makers of CoT and H&V by implying they are detrimental to our community.

CreVo

• Minion
« Reply #1369 on: May 26, 2014, 02:22:25 AM »
I never said anything about H&V, nor did i ever say anything other than City of Titans took a lot of City of Heroes media attention away. As it was pointed out in a PM though with a different admin, City of Titans getting more media would help with City of Heroes because at least they have something to report on. Which is a fair point. I honestly don't get why words are being put in my mouth about this. It's almost as though I haven't said ten hundred times I don't hate CoT or something.

[this is ontopic though]

This latest thing with Iron wolf is the first real gleam of hope in a long time. Secretive private servers that are a secret for a good reason aren't really hope of a CoH return, only an emulation. Which would be cool too, but this hope is much better because Its a real return.

JetFlash

• Boss
« Reply #1370 on: May 26, 2014, 02:30:35 AM »
Folks, thank you for your interest but please don't give me credit for the work other people are doing.

I know so far I am the face of the effort but I am not the one doing the work and it makes me uncomfortable to take the kudos when others deserve them. I helped but its not my money on the line for this. At some point soon maybe the folks involved will step forward. I am happy to take the blame for starting this if it goes wrong but not more than my share of the credit.

I am just like you a fanboy, who will squeee like crazy if the game comes back in any form!

I think most of us understand that, but you *are* the face of the renewed effort.  Since I don't know anyone else that is directly involved, then it is you who gets the thanks.  Pass it on, if you would. :)

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #1371 on: May 26, 2014, 02:33:09 AM »
...nor did i ever say anything other than City of Titans took a lot of City of Heroes media attention away. ... I honestly don't get why words are being put in my mouth about this.

Let me see if I can help

"...opposed to trying to crush it by forcing another "city of" game on people. Nothing will ever replace CoH, ever."

The phrase "trying to crush it by forcing another 'city of'" was poorly conceived and rather insulting and really could not be interpreted as other than a slam on COT. 
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1372 on: May 26, 2014, 02:37:46 AM »

From this point I will begin removing posts responding to CreVo or anyone else in regards to that particular tangent. Take it to PMs as suggested by CreVo. Back to topic.

(EDIT: I'll allow Nyx's since s/he posted at the same time :p )

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #1373 on: May 26, 2014, 02:38:02 AM »
(again though, I don't hate/dislike/am not trying to down City of Titans or its Developers or the people who invested or are excited for it. This was -my- opinion on how I personally feel about it. Maybe Its not whats actually happening in the eyes of investors into the purchase of City of Heroes, or any other companies but Its how -I- feel)
It may be how you feel, but it does not reflect my own observations or opinions. You are, however, coming across as petty, provincial, misinformed, and churlish, and it's not exactly inspiring any sympathy on my end. Slagging other efforts  is NOT helping or defending City of Heroes.

Personally i have maintained a close interest in finding a way to play a game like CoH again, whether through relaunching of the original (by a new team or through *ahem* other methods), as well as backing and following efforts to make new games inspired by what made CoH unique compared to other MMOs. i can do all of those things at once and more.

i suspect i have a somewhat more nuanced and informed understanding of what has happened, is happening, and is likely to happen regarding City of Heroes, but regardless i am asking you to give a little more thought and credence to what others have already posted here, please.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #1374 on: May 26, 2014, 02:40:09 AM »

From this point I will begin removing posts responding to CreVo or anyone else in regards to that particular tangent.
Ah, right then. Well, how about those new snipe mechanics that were on the beta server at shutdown? i was thinking they'd probably do for blast sets what the new Stalker mechanics had done for the utility of Assassin's Strike. My Elec/EA blueside Stalker had become one of my favorite characters after the changes.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Nebularis

• Underling
« Reply #1375 on: May 26, 2014, 02:41:14 AM »
I know you feel like you don't deserve the kudos, Ironwolf, and once the true movers and shakers are able to make their identities known, we can laud them for their efforts appropriately, but I will say this- if the game does get back up and running, I for one wouldn't be too disappointed to find an NPC named Ironwolf in game as a helper or go-between contact for our heroes. :D
I concur on all points.  So I too would like to thank you Ironwolf.  And I, for one, have not forgotten the hardworking people behind the scenes and very much look forward to appreciating other involved parties (and possibly on both sides of the table).

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1376 on: May 26, 2014, 02:44:24 AM »
Ah, right then. Well, how about those new snipe mechanics that were on the beta server at shutdown? i was thinking they'd probably do for blast sets what the new Stalker mechanics had done for the utility of Assassin's Strike. My Elec/EA blueside Stalker had become one of my favorite characters after the changes.

I was hoping to incorporate a few here and there, see if I could use them for a more single-target oriented build.  Thing was they did more damage then just about any other single target blast, and my time manipulators had extremely high to hit ratings.  I think you needed around 97% tohit or so in order to get an instant-snipe.  It was something I was really looking forward to.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Microcosm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1377 on: May 26, 2014, 03:47:13 AM »

I concur. The new powers team, especially Arbiter Hawk, had done a fantastic job of fixing and updating things towards the end, and even listened to player input *gasp*. I would really like to see those guys involved again if we get this back.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1378 on: May 26, 2014, 04:41:10 AM »

as a student of SnipeFu.. this was set to make me very very very very happy.. that and no crash nukes ????? My Blasters were already good.. they were going to get ridiculous..

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1379 on: May 26, 2014, 04:59:47 AM »
Folks, thank you for your interest but please don't give me credit for the work other people are doing.

I know so far I am the face of the effort but I am not the one doing the work and it makes me uncomfortable to take the kudos when others deserve them. I helped but its not my money on the line for this. At some point soon maybe the folks involved will step forward. I am happy to take the blame for starting this if it goes wrong but not more than my share of the credit.

I am just like you a fanboy, who will squeee like crazy if the game comes back in any form!

I'm glad someone out there is still fighting!

*returns to stalker mode*