Author Topic: What will you do different?  (Read 14465 times)

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
Re: What will you do different?
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2014, 05:50:46 AM »
I know that we will all do the things we love to do, but what about something that you missed or always wanted to try?

I would love to finish the rest of the incarnate arcs. I last i did was Keyes. I didn't feel I brought enough to the team and no one really seemed to want to clue me in.

But mainly, I'd like to try roleplaying a character on whatever the RPG servers ends up being.

What About You?

Would play all missions, even going in to AE to complete missions I'd out levelled, do all the Task Forces, general try and do as much as possible, oh and badges enjoyed that part of the game.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2014, 05:23:11 PM »
I want it all!

Missions, badges, trials, raids, pvp, AE, roleplaying, events, streetsweeping...

I wanted, just once, to see what would happen if every mob in a zone were wiped at the same time...WHO WILL JOIN ME?!
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2014, 03:57:50 PM »
I thought of a new answer after watching this youtube video.  Narrator has some naive notions about ATs and especially in regards to defenders around 9:15 mark. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6glFUB_2n4

I always gravitated toward supposedly gimp ATs and builds.  Educating more people about how awesome teams of defenders and dominators are would be a mission for me.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2014, 06:57:58 PM »
I thought of a new answer after watching this youtube video.  Narrator has some naive notions about ATs and especially in regards to defenders around 9:15 mark. 

I always gravitated toward supposedly gimp ATs and builds.  Educating more people about how awesome teams of defenders and dominators are would be a mission for me.

I am so on the fence about defenders. I sorta want to try them but I'm not sure I have the patience to put up with everyone telling me either how to play them or that I am doing it wrong. They get so much of this.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2014, 07:53:01 PM »
I am so on the fence about defenders. I sorta want to try them but I'm not sure I have the patience to put up with everyone telling me either how to play them or that I am doing it wrong. They get so much of this.

I was amused how the narrator thought that while a team of brutes or blasters would just rip through everything with pure dps a team of defenders would end up in the hospital.  Uh... yeah.  Stereotypical melee player thinking.  Apparently never seen force mulitplying at work.

I also like how he was saying the tank wasn't that good because he didn't taunt.  However, he doesn't point out the tank was like lvl 8 and they're running with a team of x7.

And my fav was how empathy was a 'class' of healer.  He was heaping praise on emp like it was the best powerset for defenders ever.

Meanwhile, the video was presented as a tutorial gameplay for new players.  I was /e facepalm a lot watching it.

Charged Mastermind

• Lieutenant
  • I was 10 when I made this name i know it is dumb
« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2014, 08:22:55 PM »
Playing SWTOR and DCUO made me realize that City of Heroes had a lot of fun "beginning to end" storylines and missions instead of powerlevelling to 50 and doing Incarnate stuff (all of that, and I am not 14 anymore so I actually want to play the game). So while I will still probably powerlevel I will make three alts (one Hero, one Villain, one Praetorian and then make him a Hero/Villain) to actually progress through the game and learn more.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2014, 09:39:51 PM »
A. Playing the game first then power leveling new alts is what I was trying to suggest in another thread and topic someplace.
B. I loved doing all defender TF's and all controller TF's.  And even VEAT night.

CoH broke "must have 3 AT's model mold".  For the better I would say.

Your post reminded me of that.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2014, 10:31:45 PM »

I spent most of my time soloing because of afk reasons, and street sweeping because... well I just liked it. So when I tried making an empathy defender, I wasn't too impressed with it the first time around. But later when Water Blast came out (and I'd learned a lot more) I rerolled her... and holy moley the difference was amazing.

I got her to 19 in one sitting. And this was solo street sweeping, mind you... no PLing, no double XP, not even mission completion bonuses. Maybe a charge or two of that temp power that granted patrol XP. Last I left her she was in the mid-20s... and man could she kick some butt. I remember once, with a few insps, taking on a +5 Warrior boss and his posse. She won too... an Emp. The knockdown and slow from her Water powers was enough to make the difference.

That's the kind of strength that debuffs and controls offered. I never played defenders or other support types much, but every time I heard someone underestimating them, I'd smile and think to myself, "Pay attention to a good one and you might just learn something, kiddo."

Come to think of it, that's something I'd like to do differently next time around... play support more. And street sweep my emp defender all the way to 50, too. Just cause I can.

Tacitala

• Boss
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2014, 02:03:28 PM »

My better half and I sometimes have characters that just naturally fall in to being complementary pairs.  One of those was a pair of defenders: my emp/archery and his kinetics/radiation.  When we got rolling, we could steamroll through enemies like we were scrappers.  When the game comes back we'll have to see how a double dominator team goes.  Goodness knows our dominator/controller duo could lay down the damage.
"And I, of course, am innocent of all but malice."
- Princess Fiona of Amber

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2014, 05:20:38 PM »
Playing SWTOR and DCUO made me realize that City of Heroes had a lot of fun "beginning to end" storylines and missions instead of powerlevelling to 50 and doing Incarnate stuff (all of that, and I am not 14 anymore so I actually want to play the game). So while I will still probably powerlevel I will make three alts (one Hero, one Villain, one Praetorian and then make him a Hero/Villain) to actually progress through the game and learn more.
for me to learn this, I had to play champions, star trek online, dcu, and (even though I am still playing) secret world.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Shifter

• Boss
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2014, 01:20:47 AM »
If CoH comes back with no character data, I would really have to take a long hard look at my secondary power set. I suspect I'd be in MIDS for weeks contemplating it, LOL.
Stone Tank
Freedom Server

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2014, 09:43:19 AM »
Do more teaming.

Sajaana

• Boss
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2014, 08:07:43 PM »
The shadow shard...I never spent much time there.  I always wanted to complete the task forces there...they are long and difficult, but I want the challenge.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2014, 10:42:38 PM »
The shadow shard...I never spent much time there.  I always wanted to complete the task forces there...they are long and difficult, but I want the challenge.

It was one of the most amazing zones visually, so much potential but they never really went back to develop it further.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2014, 11:25:24 PM »
I didn't master the geysers, although I did use them occassionally for the laughs.

Jetpacks were my friend for toons that did not fly.  :P
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Clave Dark 5

• Elite Boss
« Reply #75 on: August 04, 2014, 11:33:09 AM »
Heresy though it is, I'd probably alt less.  Might even run more hero-side than villain-side content, unless some magic wand is waved to deal with the population problem I was seeing by game's end. 

I think I'd also plan out a build from the beginning and run that character all the way up; I only ever did about three builds, usually I just chose whatever I wanted to go with at the time.  If we do ever get it back, I do have my main's build saved...

I'm still not sold on playing a 50 to make runs thru task force content over and over again as quick as we possibly can.
"What you say is rather profound, and probably erroneous." - Joseph Conrad

Blackstar5

• Lieutenant
« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2014, 10:41:26 PM »
What will I do differently? I won't take this wonderful game for granted like I did before. And I'll team more.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #77 on: August 06, 2014, 03:51:24 AM »

In honor of this video I will solo every TF in the game with a defender... with my Nature Affinity/Dual Pistols which I never got to finish.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Cementi

• Underling
« Reply #78 on: August 06, 2014, 04:05:54 AM »
I am going to recreate my first level 50 hero and my first level 50 villain. However their names, apperance and backstories are all I plan to keep.

The hero was a SS Invuln tank, however due to my constant frustration with the massive differences between brute and tank performance I will likely not be making him a tank again.

The villain was a Thugs Poison, the Thugs part is locked in though I am torn as to what to do with the secondary.

I am going to resist my altitis and focus on those two characters through story arcs and task forces avoiding the newspaper and farming I did to level them and simply sit back and enjoy the game. I will be in no hurry to get to 50.

amrobinson

• Lord Spittle
  • Lieutenant
  • Thermal Bloom
« Reply #79 on: August 06, 2014, 06:36:55 AM »
First, I want to go over to Pocket D on Virtue and look into the role-playing there.

Second, I am going to find an active SG to join. Of course, I was in a few with friends, even started one, and I was spending a lot of time in an SG in the final month of the game...but I played erratic hours and too many groups seemed to expect constant hours of participation.

Third, I will try to find some people to join in arena play. Did very little of that.

Fourth, more AE play. I did a major multipart scenario (just to experience it), and joined other people when they wanted another person to do a run there, but I never spent much time investigating the various scenarios.

Finally, spend some real time running a brute. Just about the only AT I never really played.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 05:37:36 AM by amrobinson »
"I'm sorry, did you want to be set on fire as well?" - Dark Malice, 50+ Fire/Dark Corruptor
- Freedom, Champion servers