Author Topic: What will you do different?  (Read 14390 times)

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
What will you do different?
« on: July 08, 2014, 05:40:27 PM »
I know that we will all do the things we love to do, but what about something that you missed or always wanted to try?

I would love to finish the rest of the incarnate arcs. I last i did was Keyes. I didn't feel I brought enough to the team and no one really seemed to want to clue me in.

But mainly, I'd like to try roleplaying a character on whatever the RPG servers ends up being.

What About You?
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Relitner

• Boss
  • ree-LITE-ner
Re: What will you do different?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 05:42:45 PM »
I know that we will all do the things we love to do, but what about something that you missed or always wanted to try?

I would love to finish the rest of the incarnate arcs. I last i did was Keyes. I didn't feel I brought enough to the team and no one really seemed to want to clue me in.

But mainly, I'd like to try roleplaying a character on whatever the RPG servers ends up being.

What About You?

Spend more time on teams. I solo'd way too much and had much more fun when teaming.
in nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti amen

Fridgy Daiere

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 06:33:22 PM »
LOL, I'd like to solo more; I spent way too much time being dragged around by Happ.  He liked to speed through things and I didn't get to read through all of the stories.

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 06:38:27 PM »
I soloed a lot, too, mostly because I work at home and I'd grab a little time to play through a mish or something.  Definitely going to try and team more in the evenings.
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 06:44:12 PM »
I might actually dabble in Inventions. Most of my characters ran on SOs or generics I built with my main (who had the memorize badges so crafting generics was moderately cheap). Hell, my main (emp/archery/power defender) still wore all her pre-Hami-revamp HOs up to the day of shutdown - I'm not sure I ever respec'd her out of pool-power Stamina (lol!). She only had a couple procs, and I had replaced her SOs with generic 50s.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Dinah Might

• Minion
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 06:56:20 PM »
I'm going to try to do something else besides tanking or smashing.

Dinah Might

• Minion
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 07:07:01 PM »
I'll also RULE the AE system.  I plan to do lots of stories.

hejtmane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 07:15:48 PM »
Not re-level my ill-rad controller and just focus on my scrappers I am going to rebuild and may make different versions of them if we have to start over.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 07:38:41 PM »
I'd probably reroll most of my melee alts to use something other than Super Reflexes. When I first learned how Defense worked compare to Damage Resistance, I thought I'd found some sort of magic formula, and rerolled all my melees into SR. Later I learned that SR had a great big hole in its protection called "enemies who can debuff your defense." And since SR really only has defense, and nothing else to back it up, that's just setting yourself up to be really weak against certain enemies.

So yeah. Given a clean slate or a chance to reroll, I'd use a lot less SR. Maybe give Willpower a try instead. That seems pretty solid from what I've been seeing of it in Mids.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 07:45:16 PM »
Your SR information is out of date! SR's defense debuff hole was filled with defense debuff resistance. IIRC, SR has the highest amount of DDR in any set (something like 90%?), to the point that they can basically shrug off defense debuffs.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 07:49:34 PM »
DDR or DDR?

hejtmane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 07:50:29 PM »
I'd probably reroll most of my melee alts to use something other than Super Reflexes. When I first learned how Defense worked compare to Damage Resistance, I thought I'd found some sort of magic formula, and rerolled all my melees into SR. Later I learned that SR had a great big hole in its protection called "enemies who can debuff your defense." And since SR really only has defense, and nothing else to back it up, that's just setting yourself up to be really weak against certain enemies.

So yeah. Given a clean slate or a chance to reroll, I'd use a lot less SR. Maybe give Willpower a try instead. That seems pretty solid from what I've been seeing of it in Mids.

Super reflexes had the highest debuff resistance of all the defense based builds and was the easiest to softcap and go over the number for extra protection ; Willpower is a hole regen debuff  I mean we can go on a dissertation for hours over all the holes on builds. I had 2 lvl 50 /sr Scrappers dm/sr and Katana/sr I also had fire/sd; db/ea all capped defense. In truth layering as much def, regen; resistance and health is always the way to go.

What you find with WP,EA, Inv, Bio armor and shield as a scrapper that will make you hate SR,DA, Fire,Reg,Elec is no taunt aura once you get a maxed out scrapper with a taunt aura you will hate all the sub groups with out the taunt aura makes a scraper want to shed a single tear in frustration.

Just an fyi on the debuff

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 07:50:37 PM »
Your SR information is out of date! SR's defense debuff hole was filled with defense debuff resistance. IIRC, SR has the highest amount of DDR in any set (something like 90%?), to the point that they can basically shrug off defense debuffs.

Correct, it muight even have been 95%, cimerorans were taking like .5% each off me, which given that I had about 60% was not worrying.

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 07:52:07 PM »
DDR or DDR?

Neither, the old east Germany, Deutsche Demokratische Republik

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2014, 08:03:53 PM »
Huh, well I'll be. The last time I looked into it, I remember hearing talk of "cascading defense failure" and thought, "well bugger." Maybe that was only when dealing with incarnate stuff? I never did get into that much, so maybe that's where the confusion came from.

Well hey, that's great then! I'd still branch out and try other stuff I think, but I guess I wouldn't kick SR to the curb right away. Thanks for the info guys! :D

hejtmane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2014, 08:05:17 PM »
Correct, it muight even have been 95%, cimerorans were taking like .5% each off me, which given that I had about 60% was not worrying.

That is correct /sr was 95% which is why on my shield in itf's my shield charge would save me because are DR was much lower and after the HO nerf/slash 10 year after the fact fix we took another hit. Brutes and tanks had it nice with the taunt auras the scrapper forum was begging for the taunt auras in our builds that brutes and tankers got in /sr and /da  ;D

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2014, 08:29:25 PM »
Cut down on alts. I had SO many after 8 years and only really bothered to play 3 or 4 the last few years.

This way I can concentrate on getting 4 50's instead of having 24 level 20's or so.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2014, 08:32:49 PM »
Cut down on alts. I had SO many after 8 years and only really bothered to play 3 or 4 the last few years.

This way I can concentrate on getting 4 50's instead of having 24 level 20's or so.

I was thinking along the same lines but more like level them consistently. Because once I really started playing them I always enjoyed it. I just needed to stop getting so distracted.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

BadWolf

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2014, 09:34:54 PM »
Slot my Tankers, Defenders, Corruptors and Controllers for damage. I always would slot up their defensive powers (armors, buffs, heals, holds) and leave their attacks minimally-slotted. This worked great for teaming, but every time I tried to solo it was an ordeal. Next time, I'm making better use of multi-builds and respecs and turning them into hitters.

SeaLily

• Lieutenant
  • green hair
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2014, 09:44:06 PM »
Having hero/villain archetypes open from day 1 on both factions would make me rethink a lot of class and powerset choices.  My Energy/Devices Blaster would become a Water/Traps Corruptor for sure, and I've got a Bots/Traps Mastermind that is probably going to be a Beam Rifle/Elec Blaster instead.

I'd probably also try to focus on fewer, more fully leveled and geared out characters.  (but I doubt that would last for long)
green hair

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2014, 10:56:57 PM »
Slot my Tankers, Defenders, Corruptors and Controllers for damage. I always would slot up their defensive powers (armors, buffs, heals, holds) and leave their attacks minimally-slotted. This worked great for teaming, but every time I tried to solo it was an ordeal. Next time, I'm making better use of multi-builds and respecs and turning them into hitters.

I had the opposite problem. I also built for solo and maybe I could have been a better team player. True, I usually could look after myself but I might have been more help with different slotting,
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

Von Krieger

• Evil Emperor of German Chocolate
  • Boss
  • Silly Dragon
    • VK's FurAffinity Page
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2014, 11:49:11 PM »
With the I24 changes to Blasters, I might finally be able to shake my melee addiction. Let's see my 50's were SS/Fire, Dark/Dark, Energy/Will, Claws/Elec Brutes, Shield/SS tank, Spines/Regen and Katana/Willpower scrappers. I had two non-meleers, a Plant/Psi dominator and a Spider Soldier that was basically a Blaster-Brute-Mastermind.

I kept trying Corruptors and Masterminds, but kept failing to hold interest with them. But then again with an SS/Fire Brute as my main, literally everything else seemed to go sssssssoooooo ssssssssloooooowlyyyyyyyy.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2014, 11:57:42 PM »
I loved blasters! Even before i24. You have to play pretty carefully and develop good situation awareness. I slotted for positional defense when I could and soft-capped with inspires. I found them very solo-able all the way to 50. I was doing ok with some controllers and just so so with others.

I need to give corrupters another try. I had one in the mid 30's who was fun and maybe my main problem was that I didn't particularly enjoy red side so much. I'll add that to the list of things to do different.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2014, 12:45:34 AM »
Swap the dual pistols for AR on my bubble def.  Otherwise, keep connecting my foot to hellion, skull, council (nazi), plant critter, clocks, etc. tail.

No Surrender!

Blackstar5

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2014, 02:24:38 AM »
Spend more time on teams. I solo'd way too much and had much more fun when teaming.
IKR!!? I was mostly solo and small teams.

Fanta

• New Efforts # 2,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2014, 02:28:31 AM »
I loved blasters! Even before i24. You have to play pretty carefully and develop good situation awareness. I slotted for positional defense when I could and soft-capped with inspires. I found them very solo-able all the way to 50. I was doing ok with some controllers and just so so with others.

I need to give corrupters another try. I had one in the mid 30's who was fun and maybe my main problem was that I didn't particularly enjoy red side so much. I'll add that to the list of things to do different.

May I recommend Fire/Cold for a corr. It's Ab/Fab! RoF + Sleet! Plan for a perma hasten build.
I am an ass, but don't we all love a good ass!

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2014, 04:09:33 AM »
May I recommend Fire/Cold for a corr. It's Ab/Fab! RoF + Sleet! Plan for a perma hasten build.

I had a fire/ice blaster who was very much fun to play. I always plan for perma hasten, I just don't always get it! :) But yeah, I'll try it. I have a bunch already in mind though so it may be a while.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
  • Keeper of the Sacred Number
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2014, 04:39:22 AM »
I think I'd try to spread my time out a bit more and play a larger variety of characters.  Yes, I managed to get ALMOST one of each AT to 50, but some I enjoyed more than others... and I think I'd like to get better with melee.  I spent the majority of my time on a Troller, which was great, but I neglected melee pretty hard, focusing on control/support primarily.

Oh, and I'll definitely have to re-imagine my MM Skull-Force.  He was Thugs/FF, but I think I'd make him Thugs/Dark or something instead.  Maybe I'll have him be an ex-Hellion instead of an ex-Skull and go Demons/Thermal or something.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2014, 04:59:04 AM »
this might not be what I would do different for my characters but socially. I would make time for team ups, on my trollers and blasters, and masterminds. I wont join or make a super group (long story), I will treasure my online friends more.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

BadWolf

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2014, 05:30:41 PM »
I had the opposite problem. I also built for solo and maybe I could have been a better team player. True, I usually could look after myself but I might have been more help with different slotting,

Yeah, it all comes down to playstyle. I loved to solo--I teamed on occasion, but I loved to just log in and jump into missions, and looking for a team slowed that down. So I gravitated to solo-friendly archetypes, and got very frustrated when I logged in a Defender or a Tanker and couldn't get that same viability I got from Brutes and Scrappers and Masterminds. But towards the end, I realized I was slotting them for teaming and then soloing with them, which was just a mistake no matter how you slice it. :)

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2014, 02:44:23 AM »
I had a fire/ice blaster who was very much fun to play. I always plan for perma hasten, I just don't always get it! :) But yeah, I'll try it. I have a bunch already in mind though so it may be a while.

I had as 50 fire / ice blaster - was pretty good soloing since you could drop ice patch and hit them with a slow and then do your fire AOE's and kill mobs very fast.

Peacemaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2014, 03:46:56 AM »
I played mostly hero side.  Ran one character through praetoria.  My highest level villain was level 30 and a second at 25,  so I think if the game returns I will be spending more time villain side.  Would also love the chance to get my peacebringer to 50.

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2014, 03:48:21 AM »
I think I want to play the Loyalist thread completely through in Praetoria.  I wimped out at the last question with True Blue Steel.
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance

Relitner

• Boss
  • ree-LITE-ner
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2014, 12:21:15 PM »

I played mostly blasters. Had a bunch at 50. Only ever got one tank (fire/fire) to 50. That and a Warshade. The other ten or so were all blasters (which was a feat in itself before they eased the leveling curve).
in nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti amen

Charged Mastermind

• Lieutenant
  • I was 10 when I made this name i know it is dumb
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2014, 02:19:00 AM »
I was like 13 when the game closed so I was more focused on farming my guys to 50 and then doing all of the trials and stuff on characters that I didn't want to main, and those that I did main I focused on getting recipes.

If we do get it back I really want to actually play the game instead of farming my way to 50. Yeah there will be some characters I want to farm to 50 but some characters I would actually like to see some of the lore because I got my FF/Ice (he sucked) Defender up to level 24 or so before AE came out, and I pretty much forgot about actually going through the game and doing actual contact missions.

Also I want to branch out. I mainly focused on DPS and tanking and never really support or crowd control. When CoH shut down I went to SWTOR because some friends were on that and I loved playing Healer Bounty Hunter, so I realized I wanted to do more than killing dudes,

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2014, 06:32:20 AM »
I was like 13 when the game closed so I was more focused on farming my guys to 50 and then doing all of the trials and stuff on characters that I didn't want to main, and those that I did main I focused on getting recipes.

If we do get it back I really want to actually play the game instead of farming my way to 50. Yeah there will be some characters I want to farm to 50 but some characters I would actually like to see some of the lore because I got my FF/Ice (he sucked) Defender up to level 24 or so before AE came out, and I pretty much forgot about actually going through the game and doing actual contact missions.

Also I want to branch out. I mainly focused on DPS and tanking and never really support or crowd control. When CoH shut down I went to SWTOR because some friends were on that and I loved playing Healer Bounty Hunter, so I realized I wanted to do more than killing dudes,

Start with the Hashaby arc and then do Shooting Stars at least once. Very good stuff.

Let me then recommend to you the Faultline and Crotoa Arcs. Simply Awesome. Striga is very good as well and there is an awesome ring you get that is very useful, It's really several arcs that thematically linked rather than continuity heavy. Through a Mirror darkly as a follow up to Faultline and Rikti War Zone story arc is a nice topper.

I would recommend the Hallows arc but it's a little tricky. because they eased the leveling curve and since it is low level it is very easy to outlevel it before you get to the last contact who unlocks the Cavern of Transcendence. Also that last mission with the trolls is a bugger!
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

Nightmarer

• Boss
  • We all float down here
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2014, 07:42:37 AM »

What About You?

This time I defiitely won't be playing the game naked and covered in strwaberry jam!! Time to move to new things and see what all the fuzz on that orange marmalade is about :p

GamingGlen

• Boss
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2014, 08:00:54 AM »
I won't be changing a single thing about the way I play.  Why mess with perfection?   :roll:

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2014, 10:44:56 PM »
I would try to form a group to bring down low flying Rikti Spaceships.

The final game posts during the shut down ,people posted such successes,
I never knew that was possible, nor did I think of trying that...everyone would go to Vanguard.
we should have stayed outside and fought from a different angle.

....especially with Incarnate Power, that would be interesting to try.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2014, 12:11:40 AM »

I never knew that was possible, nor did I think of trying that...everyone would go to Vanguard.

Oh i would love to try that assuming I can get someone who is of use!
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

artbunker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2014, 11:52:15 PM »
Run the All story missions from Oroborous on hero and villian side with my friends at least once  so we will know a lot of the arcs a lot better

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2014, 05:15:51 AM »
Form a league to take down the Seed of Hamidon.  Always wanted to do that.  Thing was wicked cool looking.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2014, 06:07:06 AM »
I am going to ferret out all the story arcs I was too busy for.

And I'm spending WAY more time redside.
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2014, 06:57:47 AM »
I am going to ferret out all the story arcs I was too busy for.

And I'm spending WAY more time redside.

On my list as well!
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

Apex Viper

• Minion
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2014, 07:56:55 AM »
First and foremost I plan to wet myself right after logging in and I'm standing in Paragon City...out of excitement..not cause I have a bladder problem.

As far as what I will do differently...

1. I won't limit myself to only being a hero. Sometimes the best heroes have a dark past.
2. I will make and level one hero/villain from each AT with primary/secondary powers that I have never played.
3. I won't fall victim to SG leaders who have no business being a leader. Nor will I build their bases for free.
4. I won't get into the rut of farming all the time. There's too much to see and do to limit myself. Maybe I should do a weekly schedule and stick to it.
5. Play the crap out of the game to make up for lost time...or at least until I get carpal tunnel and my hands cramp up.   
In the end, we all are heroes, even the Villains; fighting to save a city that we all love.

DocHornet

• Lieutenant
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2014, 08:18:48 AM »
Not take COH for granted ever again!

Richpur

• Underling
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2014, 12:40:43 PM »

Skyway City on Defiant, back in 2008. I'm up for doing it again.  ;D
Note To Self : Toggles.

DBadger

• Lieutenant
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2014, 04:48:16 PM »
Hopefully I will decide on a 'main' and stick with it for badging etc. I had loads of badges spread around my 30+ L50s that were generally a pain to get multiple versions of.

I'll avoid blasters. Couldn't get on with them despite my first character (Lethal Weapon AR/Energy) being one. She spent her 40s in perma debt (in the good old days before they reduced debt) Got every death/debt badge on the day they were introduced.

Try to get more into the villain side (my first villain Bodybag Fire/Rad Corruptor) was the only character I actually hit 50 on the villain side with, my Crab and Widow both got xferred blueside and my Brute never left AE in Rikti Warzone (used him for farming/pling my second account).

Embrace TFs more. I tend to enjoy my own company more than others so soloed 95% of the time but there were very few bad eggs in the CoH community and some of the TFs gave some of the most memorable moments.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2014, 05:38:14 PM »
Not take COH for granted ever again!
1000 times this for me as well.

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2014, 06:24:31 PM »
Form a league to take down the Seed of Hamidon.  Always wanted to do that.  Thing was wicked cool looking.

Fun fights both! Wish CoH had more aerial ne'er-do-wells.

As for me, I hope to do more Incarnate stuff, epic archetypes, and level a controller or dominator.

Charged Mastermind

• Lieutenant
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2014, 06:56:30 PM »
Assuming we get character data back, I would love to run the two raids (Rikti Mothership and Hamidon) then finish up the trials I missed out on.

If we don't get character data back, I will actually try and play the storyline and earn the level 50 instead of power leveling there

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2014, 10:34:01 PM »

I'll avoid blasters. Couldn't get on with them despite my first character (Lethal Weapon AR/Energy) being one. She spent her 40s in perma debt (in the good old days before they reduced debt) Got every death/debt badge on the day they were introduced.

Just goes to show how different styles of play and players work in the game. I loved blasters and soloed them all the time. To me, they were perfect way to learn the game. You had to get really good at fighting mobs in a smart way. That's were I learned pulling and crowd management. I learn how to use that hold you almost always got in your secondary early on. It's where I learned about enhancement set bonuses as well. Blasters were always good to me.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2014, 12:32:25 AM »
I intend to explore a number of aspects of the game I never worked through -- there was quite a bit I never got to simply because of lack of inclination.  I only did a couple of task forces since I generally wasn't able or willing to commit a substantial block of time -- I never worked through the full clockwork set of missions to the Clockwork King simply because I found Clockwork annoying and silly.  I want to explore a lot more of the richness of the game.
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2014, 12:38:42 AM »
I intend to explore a number of aspects of the game I never worked through -- there was quite a bit I never got to simply because of lack of inclination.  I only did a couple of task forces since I generally wasn't able or willing to commit a substantial block of time -- I never worked through the full clockwork set of missions to the Clockwork King simply because I found Clockwork annoying and silly.  I want to explore a lot more of the richness of the game.
Have you face the psy clockwork king? I cannot remember which mission that was apart of. :( he wasn't a bad fight though :)

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2014, 12:47:39 AM »
I am going to play more servers.
I practically lived on Protector.
With such a small server, there were 4 people who remember me.
Granted that's not the goal of the game, to be remembered.
But it would be nice to be recognized.
Anybody ever team with...
Super Fire Dragon?

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2014, 10:09:56 PM »
I think the main thing I'll do differently is not be such a soloist. I think it's a good idea to be able to handle yourself, but I think the teaming probably gets things done more efficiently when it comes to badges and such.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2014, 03:53:16 AM »

Save a spot fer me!
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2014, 04:15:44 AM »
I loved concept toons.

Oh this guy can fly, why?
Wings or rocket boots.

This lady*cough cough, has zombie pets, why?
She's a murderess hooker turned necromancer.

Stuff had to make sense.

I would do that un-differently.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2014, 05:08:58 AM »
I don't think I had any toons who weren't concept toons. I'm not sure i could play any different if a wanted to.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

microc

• Boss
« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2014, 05:42:10 AM »
made this one in icon. hope t make him when the game goes live.
http://cheezburger.com/8263236352
rad/rad tank.

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2014, 05:50:46 AM »

What About You?

Would play all missions, even going in to AE to complete missions I'd out levelled, do all the Task Forces, general try and do as much as possible, oh and badges enjoyed that part of the game.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2014, 05:23:11 PM »
I want it all!

Missions, badges, trials, raids, pvp, AE, roleplaying, events, streetsweeping...

I wanted, just once, to see what would happen if every mob in a zone were wiped at the same time...WHO WILL JOIN ME?!

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2014, 03:57:50 PM »
I thought of a new answer after watching this youtube video.  Narrator has some naive notions about ATs and especially in regards to defenders around 9:15 mark. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6glFUB_2n4

I always gravitated toward supposedly gimp ATs and builds.  Educating more people about how awesome teams of defenders and dominators are would be a mission for me.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2014, 06:57:58 PM »
I thought of a new answer after watching this youtube video.  Narrator has some naive notions about ATs and especially in regards to defenders around 9:15 mark. 

I always gravitated toward supposedly gimp ATs and builds.  Educating more people about how awesome teams of defenders and dominators are would be a mission for me.

I am so on the fence about defenders. I sorta want to try them but I'm not sure I have the patience to put up with everyone telling me either how to play them or that I am doing it wrong. They get so much of this.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2014, 07:53:01 PM »
I am so on the fence about defenders. I sorta want to try them but I'm not sure I have the patience to put up with everyone telling me either how to play them or that I am doing it wrong. They get so much of this.

I was amused how the narrator thought that while a team of brutes or blasters would just rip through everything with pure dps a team of defenders would end up in the hospital.  Uh... yeah.  Stereotypical melee player thinking.  Apparently never seen force mulitplying at work.

I also like how he was saying the tank wasn't that good because he didn't taunt.  However, he doesn't point out the tank was like lvl 8 and they're running with a team of x7.

And my fav was how empathy was a 'class' of healer.  He was heaping praise on emp like it was the best powerset for defenders ever.

Meanwhile, the video was presented as a tutorial gameplay for new players.  I was /e facepalm a lot watching it.

Charged Mastermind

• Lieutenant
« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2014, 08:22:55 PM »
Playing SWTOR and DCUO made me realize that City of Heroes had a lot of fun "beginning to end" storylines and missions instead of powerlevelling to 50 and doing Incarnate stuff (all of that, and I am not 14 anymore so I actually want to play the game). So while I will still probably powerlevel I will make three alts (one Hero, one Villain, one Praetorian and then make him a Hero/Villain) to actually progress through the game and learn more.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2014, 09:39:51 PM »
A. Playing the game first then power leveling new alts is what I was trying to suggest in another thread and topic someplace.
B. I loved doing all defender TF's and all controller TF's.  And even VEAT night.

CoH broke "must have 3 AT's model mold".  For the better I would say.

Your post reminded me of that.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2014, 10:31:45 PM »

I spent most of my time soloing because of afk reasons, and street sweeping because... well I just liked it. So when I tried making an empathy defender, I wasn't too impressed with it the first time around. But later when Water Blast came out (and I'd learned a lot more) I rerolled her... and holy moley the difference was amazing.

I got her to 19 in one sitting. And this was solo street sweeping, mind you... no PLing, no double XP, not even mission completion bonuses. Maybe a charge or two of that temp power that granted patrol XP. Last I left her she was in the mid-20s... and man could she kick some butt. I remember once, with a few insps, taking on a +5 Warrior boss and his posse. She won too... an Emp. The knockdown and slow from her Water powers was enough to make the difference.

That's the kind of strength that debuffs and controls offered. I never played defenders or other support types much, but every time I heard someone underestimating them, I'd smile and think to myself, "Pay attention to a good one and you might just learn something, kiddo."

Come to think of it, that's something I'd like to do differently next time around... play support more. And street sweep my emp defender all the way to 50, too. Just cause I can.

Tacitala

• Boss
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2014, 02:03:28 PM »

My better half and I sometimes have characters that just naturally fall in to being complementary pairs.  One of those was a pair of defenders: my emp/archery and his kinetics/radiation.  When we got rolling, we could steamroll through enemies like we were scrappers.  When the game comes back we'll have to see how a double dominator team goes.  Goodness knows our dominator/controller duo could lay down the damage.
"And I, of course, am innocent of all but malice."
- Princess Fiona of Amber

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2014, 05:20:38 PM »
Playing SWTOR and DCUO made me realize that City of Heroes had a lot of fun "beginning to end" storylines and missions instead of powerlevelling to 50 and doing Incarnate stuff (all of that, and I am not 14 anymore so I actually want to play the game). So while I will still probably powerlevel I will make three alts (one Hero, one Villain, one Praetorian and then make him a Hero/Villain) to actually progress through the game and learn more.
for me to learn this, I had to play champions, star trek online, dcu, and (even though I am still playing) secret world.

Shifter

• Boss
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2014, 01:20:47 AM »
If CoH comes back with no character data, I would really have to take a long hard look at my secondary power set. I suspect I'd be in MIDS for weeks contemplating it, LOL.
Stone Tank
Freedom Server

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2014, 09:43:19 AM »
Do more teaming.

Sajaana

• Boss
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2014, 08:07:43 PM »
The shadow shard...I never spent much time there.  I always wanted to complete the task forces there...they are long and difficult, but I want the challenge.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2014, 10:42:38 PM »
The shadow shard...I never spent much time there.  I always wanted to complete the task forces there...they are long and difficult, but I want the challenge.

It was one of the most amazing zones visually, so much potential but they never really went back to develop it further.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2014, 11:25:24 PM »
I didn't master the geysers, although I did use them occassionally for the laughs.

Jetpacks were my friend for toons that did not fly.  :P

Clave Dark 5

• Elite Boss
« Reply #75 on: August 04, 2014, 11:33:09 AM »
Heresy though it is, I'd probably alt less.  Might even run more hero-side than villain-side content, unless some magic wand is waved to deal with the population problem I was seeing by game's end. 

I think I'd also plan out a build from the beginning and run that character all the way up; I only ever did about three builds, usually I just chose whatever I wanted to go with at the time.  If we do ever get it back, I do have my main's build saved...

I'm still not sold on playing a 50 to make runs thru task force content over and over again as quick as we possibly can.
"What you say is rather profound, and probably erroneous." - Joseph Conrad

Blackstar5

• Lieutenant
« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2014, 10:41:26 PM »
What will I do differently? I won't take this wonderful game for granted like I did before. And I'll team more.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #77 on: August 06, 2014, 03:51:24 AM »

In honor of this video I will solo every TF in the game with a defender... with my Nature Affinity/Dual Pistols which I never got to finish.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Cementi

• Underling
« Reply #78 on: August 06, 2014, 04:05:54 AM »
I am going to recreate my first level 50 hero and my first level 50 villain. However their names, apperance and backstories are all I plan to keep.

The hero was a SS Invuln tank, however due to my constant frustration with the massive differences between brute and tank performance I will likely not be making him a tank again.

The villain was a Thugs Poison, the Thugs part is locked in though I am torn as to what to do with the secondary.

I am going to resist my altitis and focus on those two characters through story arcs and task forces avoiding the newspaper and farming I did to level them and simply sit back and enjoy the game. I will be in no hurry to get to 50.

amrobinson

• Lord Spittle
  • Lieutenant
  • Thermal Bloom
« Reply #79 on: August 06, 2014, 06:36:55 AM »
First, I want to go over to Pocket D on Virtue and look into the role-playing there.

Second, I am going to find an active SG to join. Of course, I was in a few with friends, even started one, and I was spending a lot of time in an SG in the final month of the game...but I played erratic hours and too many groups seemed to expect constant hours of participation.

Third, I will try to find some people to join in arena play. Did very little of that.

Fourth, more AE play. I did a major multipart scenario (just to experience it), and joined other people when they wanted another person to do a run there, but I never spent much time investigating the various scenarios.

Finally, spend some real time running a brute. Just about the only AT I never really played.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 05:37:36 AM by amrobinson »
"I'm sorry, did you want to be set on fire as well?" - Dark Malice, 50+ Fire/Dark Corruptor
- Freedom, Champion servers

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #80 on: August 09, 2014, 06:39:49 PM »
Yezz...Hopefully, people won't take SG's for granted, maybe participate with other members more.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #81 on: August 10, 2014, 03:13:53 AM »
I think I'll make more hot female toons.
I thought it felt gay making girl toons, but watching my male toon's back seemed more gay.
So, I made wolves and dragons.
But that got old.
So eye candy for me from now on, but with wolves and dragons and male toons too.
I just won't worry so much about the homophobia.
After all, it's just pixels.

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #82 on: August 10, 2014, 06:49:32 PM »
I thought it felt gay making girl toons, but watching my male toon's back seemed more gay.
But that got old.
So eye candy for me from now on, but with wolves and dragons and male toons too.

LOL... hilarious how you actually made sense of your pseudo homophobia.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2014, 12:59:03 AM »
 Make more Dominators !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2014, 06:12:40 AM »

Just stares...

But that got old.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #85 on: August 14, 2014, 11:32:22 PM »
oops, wrong post.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 12:45:30 AM by Ankhammon »
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
  • Sometimes it's harder to let go than to hold on.
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #86 on: August 26, 2014, 10:57:31 AM »
There's so much that I would do differently if CoH returned.

First off, I would actually get a toon to 50 before letting my altitis take over.

Second, do all the things I never did: inventions, mission architect, and auction house. Maybe have some folks help me understand it better. Which leads me to...

Third, I would team up more, join a SG, stop being such a lone ranger. I loved playing this game, but I solo'd all the time, unless my girlfriend at the time was logged on. When she and I broke up, I only solo'd. I was kind of shy, so I avoided contact with people. On the rare occasions (honestly, I think those occasions can be counted on one hand) that I did team up, my experience was lovely. But I was still too shy to actively team.

Fourth, spend more time on the chat. Be with people. Communicate. Become an active part of a community that I did not even realize, until after the game was gone, was so incredible.
Name: Safehouse     Origin: Magic
Powers: Energy Blast/Electricity Manipulation/Flame Mastery/Teleportation
Security Level: 50+
Last Seen: Wandering the empty streets of the evacuated Paragon City.