Community > City of Heroes

The state of the community

(1/6) > >>

Goddangit:
Those that were always ready to share "you're doing it wrong", "that costume sucks", and of course the kill-stealer were always present, although the majority of the community were decent people and would speak strongly against such actions.  It has been my recent experience that is no longer the case.  Was my experience an isolated thing or has the CoH community, and indeed all of the gaming community become that bad?  Are the kill-stealer, the rude, the self-entitled now the norm?  I'm coming to the conclusion things have changed.  (And I take comfort in the fact there is no longer one single place; I can choose who I associate with.)  I departed SecondLife and formed an Open Simulator grid with friends I value for similar reasons.  What is your experience?  What is your opinion?

Castegyre:
MMOs in general have become more rude and selfish, yeah. There are a ton of reasons for this and I doubt it's going to change much for any larger title any time in the foreseeable future. This isn't new, it's just more convenient for people to behave that way now. That's not to say there aren't a ton of good people out there playing these games or that all of the other players who seem to be snubbing you are actually bad, but the genre is what is.

Tahquitz:
The groups I ran in tended to be more insular and less "open to the public" (not that "in with the in crowd" sense, but the "our group's drama is enough, pick-up groups don't need to add to it" sense).  I've dealt with (and at times been the source of) plenty of it myself when the game was live, over things that ultimately didn't matter compared with the shutdown.  It's easier to dismiss bad behavior when it happens, as "it's just a game" is a far lighter admission to me now than it was 10 years ago.

That's made me less of a curmudgeon in this new era, as when I run with people in the larger community through a mission...  If they're immature, I finish the run, and say farewell.  If they're mature and seem cool, I engage further. 

Vee:
kill stealers? that's not been a problem in coh since i don't even know what issue.

that said it seems about the same as it was once ftp hit to me, though i've not been able to team much lately and when i do it's with my group of friends. help chan seems about the same. a couple trolls i've /ignored. more racist names than on live but it's volunteer modded and it's a different world than 2012 too. and it's still leagues short of swtor hubchat levels of racism. still seems to be overall the friendliest community i've come across.

Tahquitz:

--- Quote from: Vee on July 21, 2019, 05:53:55 AM ---kill stealers? that's not been a problem in coh since i don't even know what issue.

--- End quote ---

Not in the WOW sense, as loot drops aren't a thing in COH.  But in places where the mobs are in short supply like Atlas Park, and someone who is clearly well past Level 5 starts sweeping the streets leaving nothing for the new characters. (Hard to arrest five skulls when there aren't none, and when they respawn, he's back wiping them out again.)

Things like that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version