Author Topic: Tony I spoke to Taek Jin Kim  (Read 7234 times)

Ionmatrix

• Minion
Tony I spoke to Taek Jin Kim
« on: October 20, 2012, 02:31:30 AM »
ok guys I called the main number of NCsoft redacted and  I freaked when they let me speak to Taek Jin Kim of NCsoft lol mean it was crazy. I asked him why they would not sell coh and he said they are coming out with coh2, I asked how is that possible without the paragon studios and he said that they have a different team to implement the new engine and all that coh2 has to offer. after that I was cut off!!!! I had a ton of questions but no matter.
I was really dumb founded as to why they would allow me, a no body, to speak with the big guy and not Tony, but hey apparently they want a new type coh2 and it is in the works. I asked if he felt that coh was worth saving and he said "Why bother, we are going ahead with coh2 why sell?" I was taken back and at that point and let go. V

[EDIT: Take this with a grain of salt, guys...also, I removed the telephone number ~Agge]
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 03:14:52 AM by Aggelakis »

avelworldcreator

• Elite Boss
  • Missing Worlds Media co-founder/senior developer.
    • Basketcase Software
Re: Tony I spoke to Taek Jin Kim
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 02:32:58 AM »
Ok This explains a LOT!!
Plan Z is still good though in case this doesn't work out.
Missing World Media primary co-founder, senior developer, UI/UX acting lead, and software toolsmith.

Patribot

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 02:37:58 AM »
Color me skeptical.  8)

avelworldcreator

• Elite Boss
    • Basketcase Software
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 02:39:28 AM »
Color me skeptical.  8)
Exactly. Unfortunately, this makes sense in context.
Missing World Media primary co-founder, senior developer, UI/UX acting lead, and software toolsmith.

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 02:39:43 AM »
Trust him about as far as I can throw his car.

avelworldcreator

• Elite Boss
    • Basketcase Software
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 02:41:51 AM »
Trust him about as far as I can throw his car.
In game or out? Otherwise that is pretty trusting!  :P

gandales

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 02:44:49 AM »
ok guys I called the main number of NCsoft (Redacted) and  I freaked when they let me speak to Taek Jin Kim of NCsoft lol mean it was crazy. I asked him why they would not sell coh and he said they are coming out with coh2, I asked how is that possible without the paragon studios and he said that they have a different team to implement the new engine and all that coh2 has to offer. after that I was cut off!!!! I had a ton of questions but no matter.
I was really dumb founded as to why they would allow me, a no body, to speak with the big guy and not Tony, but hey apparently they want a new type coh2 and it is in the works. I asked if he felt that coh was worth saving and he said "Why bother, we are going ahead with coh2 why sell?" I was taken back and at that point and let go. V

I don't mean to rain on your parade but this is not consistent with closing CoH given it was profitable. Keeping captive subscriptors in CoH to later moving them to CoH 2 was imho the natural course of action. This means that either you were punked, giving that to decrease the pressue, or if it is true then the game is barely on the drawing table so it means 4-5 years before release.

Edit: Removed phone number from quote. --TV
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 05:20:58 AM by TonyV »

downix

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 02:45:44 AM »
I don't mean to rain on your parade but this is not consistent with closing CoH given it was profitable. Keeping captive subscriptors in CoH to later moving them to CoH 2 was imho the natural course of action. This means that either you were punked, giving that to decrease the pressue, or if it is true then the game is barely on the drawing table so it means 4-5 years before release.
*or* they are re-skinning another game (such as Blade and Soul) and calling it CoH2.

Jetfire99

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 02:46:24 AM »
This is the company that faked Lord British's I quit letter to kill his game. Unless the company acts you can not trust what they say I'm afraid.

Ionmatrix

• Minion
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 02:51:00 AM »
as far as I can tell coh 2 has been in the works for a cpl of years meaning they intended to bring and end to our home,

avelworldcreator

• Elite Boss
    • Basketcase Software
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 02:55:15 AM »
I'm afraid that also makes some sense. Lying sacks of shit does not mean they are entirely stupid.

Patribot

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 02:55:31 AM »
But if it's release isn't over the horizon, it would have been moronic in the extreem to kick their player base out the door, loose the revenue that was funding the development and Royally Piss-off their paying customers. This entire scenerio smells of Unicorn Horn.  ???

avelworldcreator

• Elite Boss
    • Basketcase Software
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 02:58:19 AM »
I say stick to Plan Z until other facts emerge.

tripthicket

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2012, 02:59:59 AM »
I desperately want this to be true, but it just doesn't pass the believability test for me.

epawtows

• Elite Boss
  • Mechanical Engineer
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2012, 03:00:55 AM »
But if it's release isn't over the horizon, it would have been moronic in the extreem to kick their player base out the door, loose the revenue that was funding the development and Royally Piss-off their paying customers. This entire scenerio smells of Unicorn Horn.  ???

Taking them at their word for the moment:

If they didn't even bother to consult Paragon Studios about a replacement, that would imply that it's supposed to be *radically* different.  As someone already suggested, possibly a modification of one of their other MMO's with Paragon City characters in it.  Or a 2D game for phones/tablets, or a console game.  Anything like that would likely make a poor substitute;  a replacement in name only. 

downix

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2012, 03:01:24 AM »
I say stick to Plan Z until other facts emerge.
I say stick to Plan Z regardless. Their management of this has killed any hope for CoH2 to work regardless. Not having Paragon Studio == bad.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2012, 03:10:23 AM »
As far as I can tell, PARAGON STUDIOS was working on CoH2. So yeah... um... sorry, OP. I doubt you actually talked to TJK.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Luna Eclypse

• New Efforts # 9,000!
  • Boss
  • Follow my on Twitter @LunaEclypse
    • Luna Eclypse on VirtueVerse
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2012, 03:11:24 AM »
Well... the first thing I thought reading this topic, my troll alarm went off. And I'm extremely skeptical that if you somehow were put through to the CEO for whatever reason, he would just blurt out the creation of a sequel. I have to call BS on this until I see otherwise.
"The Remarkable Dazzling"
Luna Eclypse

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2012, 03:13:55 AM »
I'm sorry. I couldn't hear you over my BULLSHIT DETECTORS RINGING IN MY EARS.

avelworldcreator

• Elite Boss
    • Basketcase Software
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2012, 03:14:04 AM »
Unicorns of the invisible pink variety I assume?  ;D