Author Topic: What game has your favorite community team?  (Read 4644 times)

Peregrine Falcon

• Lieutenant
What game has your favorite community team?
« on: March 16, 2013, 02:38:07 PM »
Eliot Lefebvre, the Massively journalist who covered the community's effort to save City of Heroes extensively, wrote and article asking people about their favorite community team.

Massively: What game has your favorite community team?

One person has already commented on Hitstreak and how he treated the players during The End Days. But I thought that others might want to read and/or comment on this topic.
Paragon City refugee - "We're heroes, it's what we do."

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
Re: What game has your favorite community team?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 03:13:18 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up.  ;)

Epelesker

• Boss
  • One fix at a time!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 05:33:22 PM »
I was juuuuuust about to post this!

Anyway, if you want to sound off about it, there it is.

Peregrine Falcon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 03:18:23 PM »
It's nice seeing people post comments about the City of Heroes community managers.

Now I'm even more bummed out that I can't get Massively's account creation system to work for me.
Paragon City refugee - "We're heroes, it's what we do."

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 03:27:28 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up.  ;)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hWfkHa4cBI

Oh sure! just tear me up again with that youtube video "Memories" @Evangel.  No, I can't just not watch it.  That would take self-control and besides it's been weeks and MONTHS since last I saw my beloved pixelated City; so thanks for the memories, and grrrrr, NCSoft - happily I am reminded I need do nothing, indeed ought to do nothing, as their corporate karma unfolds.   /em holdtorch!  And in all seriousness, THANK YOU once again for the glimpse of our City.   8)
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 04:58:38 AM »
Everyone has their favorite City of Heroes tribute video or videos. I have a few, including ones from well-knowns like Dark Respite, to those made by people who didn't even start learning /demorecord until the shutdown notice--or the person who made a video that does nothing but just slowly flies through various zones around Paragon City and beyond for a while (now that was a person who thought ahead).

But Evangel's "Memories" is above all my favorite tribute (I was also a fan of his Architect Entertainment work in the year before the closure--those other videos on his channel were cutscenes that were designed to be watched at certain points during his arcs; ingenius!). In a time when many tributes were envisioning a sea of flames and destruction for Paragon City, Memories resonated with me because NCSoft's dick move was not at all related to Paragon Studios' canon, nor my vision of Paragon City. When I log into Champions Online and run into some joe who says Paragon City was most definitely destroyed, I don't argue with them; I secretly feel sorry for their character, who obviously lived in some screwed up parallel world.

Unlike Evangel, I imagine some of my characters as still living there. And then some others, I logged off in front of a Portal Corp gate for the last time--their destinations to be determined, or remain forever mysterious. But they weren't fleeing some doomed world. Say what you like about the Battalion as they were planned for Issue 25 and beyond, but we would have beaten them, we would have wiped the cosmic battlefield with their sorry planet-devouring asses. AS IT SHOULD BE.

And, you're not supposed to think about it too much, but the Battalion didn't stand a chance. Speaking of video editing, my one experience with it was when I edited a movie so that the credits actually started rolling about halfway through, when it was supposed to look like the protagonist had bit the dust. That pissed off a whole room of friends! They didn't appreciate the joke! See? What the hell kind of ending is that? (Answer: it's an NCSoft ending!)

And just think--NCSoft didn't make nearly as much effort as I did! Here is what NCSoft did to put a bow on our closure, about 50 lines of HTML code including the stylesheet, and probably less than 100 words of readable text.

And the developers who had spent years thinking up appropriate ways to do a proper send-off? They were no longer allowed in the building.

Crap. What was this thread about again? Oh, right. Here's a link to my comment on the Massively article.  :P

P.S. Just a note to anyone who watches that Evangel video, you need to run it fullscreen in HD so you can read the speech bubbles.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 05:33:02 AM by Captain Electric »

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 08:50:23 AM »
Howdy hey, Captain Electric.  You are so right about each of us having our own special favorite CoH videos.  While I love Dark_Respite/Samuraiko's tribute videos (especially the one commissioned by or for V.V.) my own personal kryptonite is gonna be "The Last ITF Ever" by Septipheran.  Well blah!  Either I have mangled the title of the video or the youtube poster's name, but I see I have two deleted youtubes in my CoH Video folder, so maybe it was taken down for whatever reason.  Maybe it's just as well, since I'd have been crying my eyes out again over Mr. Bunny and the rest of the team struggling to finish ITF before the final Game Down.  Meanwhile here is a somewhat different ITF with very different music that I just found:  "Our Last ITF" by Lily B.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHdVKvuANiw

With apologies to Sept. since I cannot find his moving video.  Maybe my computer or the fates are tired with me weeping over losing CoH.

Oh, as to the OP, the game that has my favorite community team is called City of Heroes.   /em holdtorch
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 09:59:22 AM »
Thanks for linking to that! I was expecting them not to make it, or to barely just make it, but nope. They didn't barely just make it; they steamrolled it. They'd been teaming with each other for so long, they knew exactly what to do. I've had the pleasure of meeting up with City of Heroes friends in other games now, and even though the worlds and rules change, we still know how to fall into step with each other. I'm not a 100% teamer, I solo a lot too. But there's nothing quite like a group of friends, there's nothing else in gaming that matches how cool that is, to fight alongside people you know, enjoy, and respect; to have their back and to have yours covered too.

I played MMOs long before City of Heroes and didn't stop when City of Heroes closed. But the game, the players, the devs, I've never seen a better game. I've found bits and pieces, even large chunks of other games that do some things right. Champions Online is a great place to recreate your heroes and see them fly again, the Secret World tells really great stories and the NPCs are very memorable (and I've found the best mission-based RP here), the Lord of the Rings has that feeling of being so filled with variety and content that you could never run out, the Neverwinter beta has some of that classic City of Heroes teamup feeling to it, the Marvel Heroes Online beta has that really good heroic feeling, wading into [NDA  ;)] and [NDA  :P ] their [NDA  ;D]. But City of Heroes was a place where you could have all of these things in one place. It was the complete package.

NCSoft, you're...dumb. :-\

Oh, but I'd be remiss not to mention a tribute video that features death and destruction that gets a straight up pass from me (regardless of what I said in my post above), because of just...how...awesome and perfect and memorable it is. I can't really even call this a close second to Evangel's video, because in my mind, they're both tied, right up at the top of the heap of awesomeness: City of Heroes Remains, by Leandro. I think I'm gonna put it in my signature with Evangel's. :'(

I'm going to have to do like a top ten or something. But, that's for another thread. Dark Respite would probably need a separate list because I've been impressed by her videos for years (it was one of her videos that helped one of my brothers convince me the game was worth checking out).

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 07:42:45 PM »
Thanks for linking to that! I was expecting them not to make it, or to barely just make it, but nope. They didn't barely just make it; they steamrolled it. They'd been teaming with each other for so long, they knew exactly what to do. I've had the pleasure of meeting up with City of Heroes friends in other games now, and even though the worlds and rules change, we still know how to fall into step with each other. I'm not a 100% teamer, I solo a lot too. But there's nothing quite like a group of friends, there's nothing else in gaming that matches how cool that is, to fight alongside people you know, enjoy, and respect; to have their back and to have yours covered too.

I played MMOs long before City of Heroes and didn't stop when City of Heroes closed. But the game, the players, the devs, I've never seen a better game. I've found bits and pieces, even large chunks of other games that do some things right. Champions Online is a great place to recreate your heroes and see them fly again, the Secret World tells really great stories and the NPCs are very memorable (and I've found the best mission-based RP here), the Lord of the Rings has that feeling of being so filled with variety and content that you could never run out, the Neverwinter beta has some of that classic City of Heroes teamup feeling to it, the Marvel Heroes Online beta has that really good heroic feeling, wading into [NDA  ;)] and [NDA  :P ] their [NDA  ;D]. But City of Heroes was a place where you could have all of these things in one place. It was the complete package.

NCSoft, you're...dumb. :-\

Oh, but I'd be remiss not to mention a tribute video that features death and destruction that gets a straight up pass from me (regardless of what I said in my post above), because of just...how...awesome and perfect and memorable it is. I can't really even call this a close second to Evangel's video, because in my mind, they're both tied, right up at the top of the heap of awesomeness: City of Heroes Remains, by Leandro. I think I'm gonna put it in my signature with Evangel's. :'(

I'm going to have to do like a top ten or something. But, that's for another thread. Dark Respite would probably need a separate list because I've been impressed by her videos for years (it was one of her videos that helped one of my brothers convince me the game was worth checking out).
Dear Captain Electric,  You are most welcome!  I saw on another thread that Septipheran is back.  Yay!  I've no idea what the fracas (if any) was about but maybe his awesome tribute vid(s) can come back.   I couldn't agree with you more re: Dark_Respite/Samuraiko and her genius with CoH and other video; ditto for Leandro and no doubt other equally talented artists presently unknown to me (or whose names are presently not in memory, like the one who brought us the Holiday Greeting in Pocket D/Winter Land around Xmas Time.)

Well, NCSoft always did seem to enjoy playing the aloof, silent (dumb = not speaking) type.   I infer that's either inherent to their selected character-class, or else is just a major Role-Playing quirk;e.g., I once had a friend, a rather loquacious and gregarious lady, who decided for grins and the RP challenge to play a mute for an entire weekend.  Long before the weekend was out, she let us know (Out Of Character) that playing this role was far more difficult than she had imagined, and IIRC she retired that character as soon as the event was over.   :D

Modifying my post to include my omission.  I wanted to RAVE in PRAISE once again about Leandro's City of Heroes Remains both in terms of the dreadful yet enduring pun on "remains" as well as the very, very apt music he concludes that video with.  Shout out of Thanks! once more to Leandro.   8)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 07:47:56 PM by johnrobey »

Samuraiko

• Honorary Paragon Dev and
  • Elite Boss
  • EVERYONE LOOK AWESOME - I'M FILMING!
    • The Wandering Crane
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 02:51:12 AM »

Please, mix me in with them! There have been several brilliant COH videographers over the years, whose work I admire TREMENDOUSLY. (Aralcox, AngelusAnimi, Leandro, 8Baller, Neutra, SentaiSage, and so many more.)

Which is why I was SOOO glad I saved the Fan Videos thread off the COH forums. :D THE LINKS LIVE ON, PEOPLE!

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite
The game may be gone, but the videos are still here...
http://www.youtube.com/samuraiko
http://cohtube.blogspot.com

Gideon Cross

• Underling
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 08:31:33 PM »
Cuppajo if any of you remember her.
"In the end, there can be only one"

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 09:58:36 PM »
Can't really say in definate answer. Really haven't personally interacted with them or any game dev or forum until I came here. But out of all games it seemed the ones if coh was more in touch with players. Most devs put on air as if they are water walking gods that knows how to build a game and don't need to.listen to the peons that play the game about what is fun or not.

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 05:28:33 AM »
Cuppajo if any of you remember her.
Well, I started late compared with most here, under Issue 15, yet I remember Cuppajo (either her or remembrance of her) on the old Official CoH Forums.

Reiraku

• Boss
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 05:37:27 AM »
Ex Libris had always been my favorite community team member. She was amazing and fought her hardest for the smallest parts of the community that no one else would even look at.

Samuraiko

• Honorary Paragon Dev and
  • Elite Boss
  • EVERYONE LOOK AWESOME - I'M FILMING!
    • The Wandering Crane
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 06:35:12 PM »
Ex Libris had always been my favorite community team member. She was amazing and fought her hardest for the smallest parts of the community that no one else would even look at.

I owe Ex big time. First she got me a presenter slot at the first HeroCon, and then even after she left Paragon, she got me my first paying gig doing machinima at Sparkplay.

I also owe Lighthouse... for ages he was my biggest supporter among the redname community, and now that he's at Spacetime Studios, I've done several videos for them for the Legends series.

I miss our rednames. :(

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite
The game may be gone, but the videos are still here...
http://www.youtube.com/samuraiko
http://cohtube.blogspot.com

MindBlender

• Boss
  • My Main was a healer, wish he was here now.
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 06:48:20 AM »
Please, mix me in with them! There have been several brilliant COH videographers over the years, whose work I admire TREMENDOUSLY. (Aralcox, AngelusAnimi, Leandro, 8Baller, Neutra, SentaiSage, and so many more.)

Which is why I was SOOO glad I saved the Fan Videos thread off the COH forums. :D THE LINKS LIVE ON, PEOPLE!

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite

You young lady, with your "ONE LAST DAY" Video are the ONLY one that brought this big burley 41 y/o man to tears, so you are at the top of that list imo!  :gonk:
All my computer skill was used up on my Commodore 64 decades ago...