Author Topic: fan trailer film: Wonder Woman  (Read 6627 times)

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
fan trailer film: Wonder Woman
« on: March 04, 2013, 11:58:38 PM »
versus Nazis. 

http://vimeo.com/60594348

Pretty neat. 
Teams are the number one killers of Soloists.

BobMc

• Lieutenant
Re: fan trailer film: Wonder Woman
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 02:39:24 AM »
Wow

Very well done!

I'd watch that if it ever got made into something feature length.
The final line of a post  by Sweet_Sarah on Liberty
"Together we entered a city of strangers, we made it a city of friends, and we leave it a City of Heroes."

WolfSoul

• Lieutenant
    • Writing portfolio
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 05:18:29 PM »
Very good. Hollywood should take note. No, wait, they'd just turn it into crap.

Lothic

• Lieutenant
  • Like tears in rain...
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 06:30:18 PM »
Apparently this "fan film" was made by one of the stunt team guys who worked on the failed Kelley-based Wonder Woman pilot.  He probably got a bunch of his Hollywood friends to work on it during their spare time which explains its relative good quality.

This is just another example of how cool a new live-action Wonder Woman movie/TV show might be if it was handled the right way and had a decent budget to work with. ;)
CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 06:39:24 PM »
The costume could use a little work (kinda WWEish... especially the laced boots), but great action sequence and plot is pretty clear.

Lothic

• Lieutenant
  • Like tears in rain...
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 07:04:32 PM »
The costume could use a little work (kinda WWEish... especially the laced boots), but great action sequence and plot is pretty clear.

I suspect they probably went with a vaguely "generic" looking costume just to avoid any copyright/trademark issues.  It's surprisingly easy to get a good looking Wonder Woman cosplay outfit made for just a few hundred dollars so if the makers of this fan film had -actually- wanted her costume to look very much closer to a "real" Wonder Woman outfit they could have done it relatively cheaply.

Kyriani

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 12:48:26 PM »
An artist actually designed a Wonder Woman costume that I always thought was really nice looking... it feels like something a real modern wonder woman would wear.

Lothic

• Lieutenant
  • Like tears in rain...
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 06:56:39 PM »
Yeah that outfit definitely looks more "realistic" from the point of view that if Wonder Woman was a real live person from a real island of super-powered amazons inspired from actual Greek myth/culture then that's the kind of outfit you might expect to see her wear.

But given the "post-millennial" direction Kelley's show tried to go (and presumably the direction CW's potential TV show or even a JLA movie might try in the future) I highly doubt we'll see any historically accurate 'Xena' versions of Wonder Woman.  We'll more likely get something loosely based on the classic Lynda Carter outfits with shiny gold metallics, bold colors and heavy use of vinyl/PVC.  It'll be the Wonder Woman equivalent of what they did to "update" the Superman and Batman outfits in the last few movies.

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 12:22:26 AM »
I'm not sure amazons would even consider whether they're dressing provocatively.

Lothic

• Lieutenant
  • Like tears in rain...
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 02:44:13 PM »
I'm not sure amazons would even consider whether they're dressing provocatively.

Well there's always the happy-fun stories about what real life Greek Amazons supposedly did to themselves to allow them to be better archers.  As the famous stories go they would willingly remove one of their own breasts so that they'd be able to draw back their bowstrings without anything getting in the way.  So yeah I don't think dressing provocatively was high on their list of priorities. ;)

I also think its safe to say that we'll never see a version of Wonder Woman, regardless of costume design, ever be fully historically accurate as far as the self-mutilation thing goes.  Being a comic book superheroine we all know that at least part of her appeal is the fact that she has an ample pair of "floatation devices".  This is why it'll never bother me to see Wonder Woman in a modern, non-historical swimsuit-type outfit because she's far from being an anatomically proper Amazon to begin with.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 05:39:33 PM »
That trailer is neat, and when I first saw it, I thought, "Wow, that would make a great movie!"...

But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that it's mostly just a bunch of action scenes strung together.  The only words she speaks in the whole trailer are, "I don't think so."  We don't get any sense of what such a movie is about, other than she's captured by Nazis and escapes.  As far as movie trailers go, there's not much of a hook to make me want to go see it, other than the fact that it's about Wonder Woman.  A real Wonder Woman movie would have to convey a lot more about her character and what it's about than just, "She's a badass fighter," because I already know that.

As for the costume, meh.  In spite of the grief a lot of artists get about impossibly impractical women's superhero costumes, there's no getting around an expectation of what they should be like.  Still, it needs to be at least semi-practical.  Comfortable boots that she can run in, something that's tight enough to be recognizable as Wonder Woman but not so skin-tight that it restricts her movement or that would involve using glue or tape to wear.  Being more of a hand-to-hand warrior type, I think any kind of armor would be sort of silly.  In spite of everyone having a cow about it, I actually thought that the Adrianne Palicki costume was pretty good (the later one, not the shiny disco one), though the top was a bit impractical.  Maybe if it came up a bit higher and had straps over the shoulders or something, I dunno.

But one thing I absolutely think is that it is WAY past a Wonder Woman movie and/or updated television series.  I hope that DC is kicking themselves after turning down Joss Whedon's script, and then he went on to write The Avengers, a best-selling blockbuster that beat all kinds of records.

Lothic

• Lieutenant
  • Like tears in rain...
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 02:00:35 PM »
That trailer is neat, and when I first saw it, I thought, "Wow, that would make a great movie!"...

But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that it's mostly just a bunch of action scenes strung together.  The only words she speaks in the whole trailer are, "I don't think so."  We don't get any sense of what such a movie is about, other than she's captured by Nazis and escapes.  As far as movie trailers go, there's not much of a hook to make me want to go see it, other than the fact that it's about Wonder Woman.  A real Wonder Woman movie would have to convey a lot more about her character and what it's about than just, "She's a badass fighter," because I already know that.
I never thought they intended to make an actual movie based directly on this low-budget fan film.  Like you say it was only meant to be a short sequence of action shots to generate interest.  It was more like a Wonder Woman "music video" in that respect as far as being an advertisement for the character.  Remember that despite the Kelley pilot the only mental concept most people still have of a "live action" Wonder Woman is Lynda Carter.  Not that Lynda was bad but sooner or later the die-hards are going to have to accept the idea that someone else will need to play the character if we're ever going to get new shows.

As for the costume, meh.  In spite of the grief a lot of artists get about impossibly impractical women's superhero costumes, there's no getting around an expectation of what they should be like.  Still, it needs to be at least semi-practical.  Comfortable boots that she can run in, something that's tight enough to be recognizable as Wonder Woman but not so skin-tight that it restricts her movement or that would involve using glue or tape to wear.  Being more of a hand-to-hand warrior type, I think any kind of armor would be sort of silly.  In spite of everyone having a cow about it, I actually thought that the Adrianne Palicki costume was pretty good (the later one, not the shiny disco one), though the top was a bit impractical.  Maybe if it came up a bit higher and had straps over the shoulders or something, I dunno.
I'm pretty sure no one will ever argue that Wonder Woman's outfits have been "practical" and I'm sure that's actually been at least part of the problem with creating a workable live action version of the character.  If this new CW show happens then they may side-step those issues much the same way they avoided showing Clark in his outfit in Smallville.  At this point I'd probably be willing to accept reasonable Kelley-esque costume compromises for the sake of practicality in order to get some kind of TV show made.  Kelley's plot/story ideas were weak, but I never had -that- much trouble with his updated costume designs.

But one thing I absolutely think is that it is WAY past a Wonder Woman movie and/or updated television series.  I hope that DC is kicking themselves after turning down Joss Whedon's script, and then he went on to write The Avengers, a best-selling blockbuster that beat all kinds of records.
I think it's fairly reasonable to claim that Joss Whedon was the guy literally born to create the next live-action Wonder Woman.  Most of his professional career had dealt with projects/shows that featured bold, well-defined female characters who were all pseudo-superheroines in their own right.  I really can't think of another person off-hand who was (or still is) better suited to helm a Wonder Woman project.  As fate would have it it didn't happen, and I'm certainly not upset with what he went on to do with the Avengers.  Still, I think the holy grail of a "Whedon-based Wonder Woman show" will be one of the biggest missed opportunities talked about in the future of live-action comics.

wei yau

• Boss
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 06:14:54 PM »
...it's mostly just a bunch of action scenes strung together.

a.ka. "Sucker Punch"

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 06:47:26 PM »
a.ka. "Sucker Punch"

Maybe, but I wasn't (and still am not) familiar with the Sucker Punch comic.  I actually liked the movie, though at times it felt a bit creepy because Emily Browning just looked so young in it (even though she was either 22 or 23 when it was being filmed).  At any rate, watching the previews, it was pitched as a pretty straight-up action movie, and that's what I expected it to be.  When I watched it, I actually did find the backstory kind of interesting, so it ended up surpassing my expectations.

I didn't say that I didn't like the Terminator movies, just that Wonder Woman isn't (or shouldn't be, in my opinion) like a Terminator movie.  The video really just kind of seemed to be a woman showing off her moves and/or someone who wants to make it in the action movie industry showing that they can make action scenes.  In that context, the video is successful--she's got some good moves, and the fight sequences look good.  All I'm saying is that if they were shooting to make a film trailer, they failed to make a very compelling one as it was lacking an essential quality of what makes a good film trailer--a hook that would convince an audience that the movie would actually be good.  And I think that's what they were shooting for, given the fake MPAA notice at the beginning and the typical movie trailer format they chose to use.

Lothic

• Lieutenant
  • Like tears in rain...
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 01:44:33 PM »
a.ka. "Sucker Punch"
Sucker Punch (the movie at least) was simply 4 or 5 loosely related anime-styled music videos strung together by a very irksome and completely forgettable "real world" plotline filled with bad acting and extremely unsympathetic characters.  I totally understood the surreal "fantasy dancing" escapist idea they going for - I'm just saying that it was handled so badly that towards the end of the movie I found myself impatiently waiting for the next music video without even really caring about the inane talky-talk parts anymore.  As far as I'm concerned they could release a re-edited Blu-ray with just the 20 minutes of fantasy-dance scenes one after the other without any attempt to string them together with a ham-fisted plot and I'd consider that a better 'movie' than what they subjected us to in the theaters. :(

Needless to say I hope that whenever a new live-action Wonder Woman happens that it -doesn't- follow in Sucker Punch's footsteps.

At any rate, watching the previews, it was pitched as a pretty straight-up action movie, and that's what I expected it to be.  When I watched it, I actually did find the backstory kind of interesting, so it ended up surpassing my expectations.
The previews focused on the fantasy/action scenes because they knew those were the "cool" parts of the movie that would get butts into movie theater seats.  Again I understood what they were trying to accomplish with the asylum plotline and the girls using their dancing as a way to escape and empower themselves in an otherwise desperate and hopeless situation.  I just found the actual presentation of that story to be fairly annoying and far less compelling than it could have been.  The key failure of the movie was that I found myself not really caring whether any of the girls escaped or not.  All the real-life characters (girls and the asylum villains) were badly acted cookie-cutter caricatures.  For a movie that was trying to be full of character depth everything about it came off as shallow and semi-pointless.  At least I can resign myself to fast-forwarding through it to enjoy the cool music video bits. *shrugs*