Author Topic: The Secret World/Secret World Legends  (Read 159032 times)

saipaman

• Elite Boss
Re: The Secret World
« Reply #200 on: December 06, 2013, 11:58:28 PM »
+1 on the advice regarding skill points.  I squandered some early on and I'm still paying for it a year later.

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #201 on: December 09, 2013, 09:58:17 AM »
So I decided to buy it. LOL! So far I'm liking it, I'm on the Grimm server by the name Helrunar.

I'm going with one of the pre-builds called Gladiator for my first character. Then I'll try to build my next on my own. LOL!

The leveling seems kind of slow at first but what MMO doesn't have alittle grind at that start? :P

Ty and take care. :)

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #202 on: December 09, 2013, 06:41:17 PM »
Two nights ago, I joined my first raid.  The target was the Quarry in the Blue Mountain zone.  In less than 45 minutes, I ran up 7 skill points.

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #203 on: December 09, 2013, 07:58:56 PM »
Nice, I got a feeling I'm going to like this game. :)

It's not City of Heroes but it's unique in it's on way. One thing I noticed that I like so far. Is you can hear gun shots in the distance when someone else is battling a mob. Makes the game feel more alive cause you know there's someone close by.

I like being able to freely move the UI around too and that I don't have to pay a sub. Even though I plan to eventually.

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #204 on: December 14, 2013, 10:13:41 PM »
I've been spending most of what little free time I have right now. Playing Secret World and was thinking about subbing up when I noticed the lifetime sub option.

So I was wondering, is anyone here a lifetime subber? If so, if I sub up that way. Will I get any new content that comes out free, will I have to save monthly points that's given to me to buy the new content or will I have to pay real money for new content when it comes out?

Do I even get a certain amount of points amonth and if so how many?

Thanks for any advice and take care. :)

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #205 on: December 14, 2013, 11:22:47 PM »
Is any game safe enough to justify a lifetime subscription?

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #206 on: December 14, 2013, 11:29:36 PM »
Probably not but it's only $200 and I don't think the servers being shut down in the next year or two (hopefully) So if I was planning on playing for the next say 3-4 years then it'd be a better investment to pay the lifetime sub. Which from what I've played of the game so far. I'm starting to consider it my "summer" home since City of Heroes even though gone is my actual home. LOL!

Now with City of Titans hopefully coming out in 2015. The lifetime sub would be a good option. I can pay it all up front. Play the game and then when City of Titans comes out. If they have a sub option I can sub up to that. Without having to worry about spending to much money each month on various subs.

Besides I'm not going to get the lifetime sub today. It'll be another 4-5 months before I even have the money saved up for it.

*edited to add: I know there are two other projects going on as well but for some reason I'm stuck on City of Titans. I guess cause the name is so similar to City of Heroes. lol. But I do plan to play all three and decide which of the three I'm going to stick with after playing them all.*

davpa

• Underling
    • Entropy Legion VG in Virtue
« Reply #207 on: December 22, 2013, 08:14:51 AM »
I've been spending most of what little free time I have right now. Playing Secret World and was thinking about subbing up when I noticed the lifetime sub option.

So I was wondering, is anyone here a lifetime subber? If so, if I sub up that way. Will I get any new content that comes out free, will I have to save monthly points that's given to me to buy the new content or will I have to pay real money for new content when it comes out?

Do I even get a certain amount of points amonth and if so how many?

Thanks for any advice and take care. :)
I took the lifetime sub. I figured the game would last at least a few years to make the $200 a safe bet.

A Lifer get access to a set of starter gear and weapons that gives you a leg up when starting. Nothing overpowering but better then what you initially find. Beyond the two weapons you can equip, you can gear up 9 types of booster, or what they call Talismans. There is the Head Totem, 3 Major Talismans, and 3 Minor Talismans. Each type comes in 3 different "flavors": focus on Health, focus on Attack stats, or focus on Defensive stats.  So the Lifer gets different flavors of the Head Totem, 3 different flavors of each of the 3 Major Talismans, and the 3 different flavors of the 3 Minor Talismans. You decide what flavor of talisman you want to equip depending on what kind of build you are going for (aka, DPS style builds will favor the talismans with mor attack rating compared to Tank builds going for more Health).

Lifers also get a monthly stipend of Funcom points to spend in the item store. New issues are not automatically free, you still have to buy them from the store, but I've never had an issue with the stipend I get. I get 1200 a month. New issues have been 960. Supposedly the next issue, Issue 9, will be a free one.

One thing about issue cost is that you are not paying for any new game mechanics introduced by that issue, that is free. What you purchase is added missions specific to that issue. These missions reward very well and give a lot of new depth to the already complex storyline. I have not regretted buying issues. But don't feel you have to run off and buy them. There is so much content to go through you just save up your points and buy these extra missions later on.

All in all, while not CoX, I've been very happy to play TSW. If anyone wants to run with Illuminati RPers, give Bureaucrat a ring. We run on Wednesday nights starting at 8pm EST. It is currently a small group, but we were from the Virtue villain group Entropy Legion. Now the Legion is (sorta) in TSW.
If life closes a door, open it back up.  That is how doors work.

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #208 on: December 26, 2013, 03:10:06 AM »
Thanks for the reply Davpa.

It's good to know that it seems. If I do go lifetime, my points will be enough to buy the new issues if I save them. Which shouldn't be too hard since I haven't seen much in the item shop I'm interested in. I don't care for xp potions ect.. and some of the clothes ect.. are nice but nothing I want right away either.

I'm going to wait for my income tax check to come in and I'll lifetime sub. :)

Another question do they have new issues every month? or every few months? Cause if it's every few months, I can start chipping away at back issues on the off months. When new ones aren't coming out.

Namredel

• Underling
« Reply #209 on: January 02, 2014, 11:43:13 PM »
Are people from heroes still playing this game? My buddy and I have been playing it the past few nights and we are enjoying it. I still haven't decided if it's completely got my interest but i'm curious to know if anyone wants to join us? We are on Grimm server. My name is Jeanette "Bremeira"  Voerman. Feel free to message and hopefully we can get some groups going. We're still new to the game so advice is appreciated as well.

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #210 on: January 03, 2014, 02:59:58 AM »
I still play it in between playing Diablo 3. I'm on the Grimm server as well under the name Sugarcult "Helrunar" farmey.

I don't play everyday but I do play 2-3 random days aweek atleast. I'm still pretty new at the game too. In in the Kingsmouth starting area. LOL!

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #211 on: January 03, 2014, 06:34:48 AM »
I've been playing on and off since the game started and I'm still in Blue Mountain.  I am up to final chapter of the main storyline although I can see it will be quite some time before I can complete the final mission.

Namredel

• Underling
« Reply #212 on: January 03, 2014, 07:00:39 PM »
Thanks for the replies back! We are currently on the savage coast. I went ahead and added you Drauger9 if I see you online i'll send you a message and hopefully we can get something going! Any tips or advice on that game is also appreciated :D

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #213 on: January 03, 2014, 08:30:02 PM »
Cool, I'm off tomorrow (Saturday 1/4/14, in the US) so I'm going to try to play all day or most of it. :P

I could probably leave kingsmouth but I've been grinding SP and AP there. I also have one last main story mission to complete there I believe. I'm not a very social person, so I've been grinding in the general area hoping to catch someone else who's trying to complete the same mission. LOL!

Question for any of the vets, is crafting important or can you just ignore it? Cause the crafting system is really meshing with me. LOL!

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #214 on: January 05, 2014, 05:45:33 AM »
My sister came in from Ohio today so I didn't get a chance to log on. :(

Hopefully we'll run into each other soon though.

Namredel

• Underling
« Reply #215 on: January 06, 2014, 03:07:24 AM »
Sounds good!

wyldhunt

• Lieutenant
« Reply #216 on: January 07, 2014, 02:34:15 PM »
I bought TSW a while back, and played through the missions, and loved the storytelling. Unfortunately, my characters couldn't fly, the combat was lackluster, the active abilities were too restrictive, and I found the endgame too much like so many others. So while I really hope that CoX successor projects play TSW and learn from the missions, I've stopped playing TSW myself.
Wyldhunt
Guardianite since I2
Playing as Wyldhaunt on Rebirth

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #217 on: January 07, 2014, 05:52:41 PM »
Cool, I'm off tomorrow (Saturday 1/4/14, in the US) so I'm going to try to play all day or most of it. :P

I could probably leave kingsmouth but I've been grinding SP and AP there. I also have one last main story mission to complete there I believe. I'm not a very social person, so I've been grinding in the general area hoping to catch someone else who's trying to complete the same mission. LOL!

Question for any of the vets, is crafting important or can you just ignore it? Cause the crafting system is really meshing with me. LOL!

I know others might disagree, but I've found that I can completely ignore crafting. I find their system to be a bit more arcane (no pun intended) than necessary.  You are supposed to be able to craft specific looks for weapons but, unless you go looking for user guides, there's no really clear information on how that is supposed to work.
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #218 on: January 08, 2014, 03:04:33 AM »
I have never crafted anything in SW.

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #219 on: January 09, 2014, 08:38:19 AM »
Thanks for the replies, I didn't think it was important but wanted to be sure. Before I completely ignored it. LOL!

Work has been chaotic lately so I haven't been able to log on. I'm off tomorrow so I'm going to "try" to get some game time in. LOL!