Author Topic: CIT Account Privacy Settings  (Read 5103 times)

welshtroll

• Underling
CIT Account Privacy Settings
« on: August 06, 2008, 06:41:07 PM »
Character Influence account setting has no effect on my characters public profile as it still shows the amount of influence for all my characters  >:(

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
Re: CIT Account Privacy Settings
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 06:47:31 PM »
Sorry about that, I'll get a fix in for this shortly.

welshtroll

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 06:50:06 PM »
woo quick reply,
thank you Suckerpunch :)

Voltaic Shock

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 07:02:20 PM »
Can I ask why it's such a big deal to hide influence?
@Voltaic Shock[/b]
TN Admin, CIT Co-Creator, CGT Developer, Obsolete
---------------------------

http://www.motorcyclistsunited.com/  http://www.YourFreeiPhone.com/index.php?ref=5292707

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 07:03:31 PM »
It's fixed.

Tazhyngarth

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 08:25:04 PM »

Some people just want to do it, it's a personal preference thing.  Sort of how you and I Logout of our stuff when we are done with it for that moment, but no one else seems to :P.

Culach

• Minion
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 09:47:02 PM »

I like to hide it now because when I first started using the original site I didn't hide it and I discovered that there are individuals who used your site and then came and begged me for influence.  When I said that I didn't have any to give them they said that CGT said I had plenty.

Being as there was an option to hide that info I chose to do so rather than complain.

Luckily it only happened twice, but that was enough for me.

Artax:  What happened?

Yeagar:  He didn't have the allergy to sharp metal I usually exploit in my opponents.

Lady Thanatos

• Minion
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 11:52:55 PM »
I like to hide it now because when I first started using the original site I didn't hide it and I discovered that there are individuals who used your site and then came and begged me for influence.  When I said that I didn't have any to give them they said that CGT said I had plenty.

That's precisely the reason I chose to hide my inf(luence/famy) levels on the new site. I previously didn't use CGT, but I'm aiming to be proactive than reactive.

-- Lady T

Fallen Angel Eyes

• Minion
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 02:57:03 PM »
Is there a way that we could still have this displayed for our own personal viewing? I shut it off for public viewing, but it would be kind of handy to be able to see when you're logged into your own account on your own characters. It'd be nice to have a way to see that without having to go into your privacy settings and switch them.

Second Chances

• Minion
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 02:36:37 PM »

heh... when I first read this I thought you were asking SP why it wasn't working already. :3  In case the other folks are correct, and you are in fact asking why someone might want to hide how much moniez they have from strangers, here is my take....

What it comes down to for me is the answer to "What is the purpose of CIT for me?" or, I guess you could say, "Why would I want to go through the trouble of using CIT?"

On the one hand, it is a way to share information about my characters with other people. For that purpose, organizing the information that is otherwise available in game is desirable: level, powersets, bio, picture, server, and so on. It is nice to have options for displaying that information in various ways that might be helpful in sharing or coordinating with other people, like a URL I could share with them that would only show my characters from one server, or sort the list in a particular way, etc.

Another use is as a reference that helps me keep track of my characters. In that regard it is useful to have another view that collects and displays, to me, all the limited extra info the game exposes to your client software. I may decide to make some or all of that info generally-available to others, but the default should be to hide it since, by default, people cannot see it ingame.

Merging those two purposes also creates some additional interface needs. There are characters that I want to keep track of, but that I am not looking to share. I may have made them for future use, or I may have made them for some specific themed team, or maybe ED messed up their playstyle and I am just not ready to play them again yet. Regardless, that is where the hidden character feature comes in.

So, CIT needs to have two views to cover those purposes: what I see, which is everything, and what everyone else sees, which is the information I want to share (and that should give no hint of the existence of whatever it is I have chosen not to share).

I can think of a third purpose, which I guess could be described as displaying accomplishments... how many alts you have, say, or how many 50s, or how many badges a character has, whatever. That isn't a particular interest of mine, but I don't see any reason that there shouldn't be display options to facilitate that, too.

Serious bonus points if there are more tiers of access control than just "me" and "everyone else". CIT friends should be an access category, at least. But, like I said, that is "bonus points" territory... I can live without that and still use CIT for the basic purposes I listed.

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 02:58:56 PM »
Would you say we handle those 2 basic scenarios decently now?  If not, what would you change?

Even though I personally don't hide anything or have a reason to, I see why others do and so privacy is an important issue to me.  It's part of why I've limited searching the characters to logged-in users, and scaled down the search so you at least have to use SOME kind of string to search for.  No more spammers-delight of server lists, at lists, etc.

I like your additional layers of privacy "wishlist", especially the friends bit.

Second Chances

• Minion
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 02:06:46 PM »
Would you say we handle those 2 basic scenarios decently now?  If not, what would you change?

I was hoping I could just play with the site a bit yesterday to answer that, but it looks like I will need to get a new client going in order to test some parts, so I will do that tonight.

Even though I personally don't hide anything or have a reason to,

Well, my point is that I don't want to hide my influence and experience from the public view... I want the option of displaying it if I have some reason to do so. I have hung out in the Suggestions forum on the official boards at times, and have seen a lot of recurring suggestions, but I don't recall seeing people suggest that their influence and experience numbers be available to everyone. I have no problem with the idea of adding an option to let people do that, of course, just in case there were people who had some reason to do it. In my case, I expect I would display my experience, since I think that would be useful in the "coordinating teaming with other folks" purpose, above.

I like your additional layers of privacy "wishlist", especially the friends bit.

It would mean replacing the Visible/Hidden menus with something else, though, like a checklist. Anyway, didn't CGT friends get special privileges in the last iteration of the site? It would be nice if that was settable, as opposed to a given for every character, since I know the last implementation caused awkwardness for some folks I know.

I guess my dreamy-dream scenario would be that people could make up their own friends lists and, if they did, that list would be listed in the access checklists, along with an "Everyone" box. If they don't make any, then the checklist would just be "Everyone". "Everyone" could default to checked for some things and unchecked for others.

In deciding that default, I would use what people can already see in the game as the rule-of-thumb. If you want to deviate from that, I'd suggest putting the deviation up for a vote here to see if there is some strong feelings against it. In any case, if you add something to the account settings to let people change the Everyone defaults for any new characters of theirs, that would help a lot. I'd probably want to set my default to display the experience numbers to Everyone, for instance. Bonus points if you add a way for people to change the settings for all of their existing characters at once, as well, but I guess not everyone here has a zillion characters to manage, so whatevah.

Second Chances

• Minion
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 03:44:44 PM »

Now that I have an updated character entry to look at, I can confirm that opting to hide influence from the public view hides it from me, as well. That is fine for the "sharing information" purpose, but doesn't work for the "keeping track of" purpose. I'd prefer the old behavior of the option just hiding it from the public and not from me.

Perhaps you could just add influence to http://cit.cohtitan.com/manage ... that would leave the profile page as is, and since that page is only seen by the CIT user, it would automagically be private so no additional test would need to be made there. It would also be a useful feature for people who wanted to see who had what influence on a given server, if they were trying to pool monies for some crafting, etc.

Fallen Angel Eyes

• Minion
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2008, 12:13:13 PM »
Sorry to bump,  but I was wondering if there's been any more thought/discussion regarding this issue? I'm still really wishing I could see the total influence across all my characters redside/blueside and do so privately. In order to check my total influence, I have to:

1. Change my profile setting so influence is set to visible
2. Go the profile page for a character to see that character's individual amount of inf
3. Start up calculator and add in that char's inf amount
4. Repeat steps 2 & 3 for all blueside chars then all redside chars
5. Hope I didn't screw up the #'s  :P
6. Re-set my influence in my profile setting to non-visible

This is a bit time consuming :( I really wish we at least had the old total feature back, even if I do have to change my privacy options for it (which I'd rather not have to do)

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2008, 02:01:23 PM »
The "manage" characters page is definitely in need of an overhaul.  We've been in bugfix mode in CIT and relaunching Faces so I have to admit we didn't really put much time into new features for CIT, but it's due :)