Author Topic: MUD?  (Read 3764 times)

Twylite1

• Underling
MUD?
« on: November 20, 2012, 03:04:53 AM »
So, has anyone thought about setting up a CoH MUD? it would at least give us a place to Rp and live until Plan Z or other plans could come together....

avelworldcreator

• Elite Boss
  • Missing Worlds Media co-founder/senior developer.
    • Basketcase Software
Re: MUD?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 04:00:30 AM »
So, has anyone thought about setting up a CoH MUD? it would at least give us a place to Rp and live until Plan Z or other plans could come together....

You have a MUD/MOO/MUSH/etc framework in mind?
Missing World Media primary co-founder, senior developer, UI/UX acting lead, and software toolsmith.

Twylite1

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 04:35:36 AM »
Not really.. was just chatting with friends .. trying to come up with how to save some of the RP relationships and stories.. and then thought.. well.. we could put it in a MUD/MUSH/MOO... we know the world layout, the setting, backstory, etc... why not?

avelworldcreator

• Elite Boss
    • Basketcase Software
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 04:40:49 AM »
Not really.. was just chatting with friends .. trying to come up with how to save some of the RP relationships and stories.. and then thought.. well.. we could put it in a MUD/MUSH/MOO... we know the world layout, the setting, backstory, etc... why not?

Intellectual property issues come to mind. If you base any part of your story on characters and setting unique to the CoX game that spells trouble. And the world layout is part of that property.
Missing World Media primary co-founder, senior developer, UI/UX acting lead, and software toolsmith.

Twylite1

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 04:45:48 AM »
I don't know.. I mean.. there are a ton of MUDs out there based on Star Trek... WWOD.. Star Wars .. and there's sure tons of fan fic...I think they can only C&D or sue if you are make money or charging for it... 

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 04:54:40 AM »
They can C&D for any reason. Making money is not in the picture. Most don't because they like their fans. If they don't, and do things to treat them with disrespect, well...

kerensky914

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 05:10:28 AM »
In this case, cease and desist means move the server.  Play 6 more months until they track you down again, rinse and repeat.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 05:28:42 AM »
For what it's worth, I used to be involved with a CoH fan blog that received a C&D letter from NCSoft. We ignored it, the ISP junked it because they didn't believe it to be sent in good faith. NCSoft didn't follow up.

Might be different for a MUD. YMMV.

LadyWizard

• Minion
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 06:16:49 AM »
wasn't that an april fool's joke one year of coh '80's style on a MUD based code?

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 07:07:28 AM »
I was planning on a MUD, but needed to find one which can run Python code. That way can nail down the mechanics for Plan Z in another environment. (Python for some major coding areas)

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 07:14:28 AM »
I have to ask... a MUD is... what now?

avelworldcreator

• Elite Boss
    • Basketcase Software
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 07:22:24 AM »
I have to ask... a MUD is... what now?
Multi User Dungeon. Text based adventure games.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 10:24:09 AM »

Jetfire99

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 11:39:29 AM »
MUSHes still exist there's a number of them out there where they focus on story. Some have coded combat but it's not really set up in a MMORPG sense. Though a COH mush would be interesting to RP on and lets face it it's a MUSH they are kinda hard to notice in general. They tend to be left alone really. AS I got into COH from a mush in the first place.

avelworldcreator

• Elite Boss
    • Basketcase Software
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 03:31:10 PM »
MUSHes still exist there's a number of them out there where they focus on story. Some have coded combat but it's not really set up in a MMORPG sense. Though a COH mush would be interesting to RP on and lets face it it's a MUSH they are kinda hard to notice in general. They tend to be left alone really. AS I got into COH from a mush in the first place.

MUSH = Multi User Shared Hallucination.
Oldest (and still running) TinyTIM.
I remade a character a while back but support is blah anymore since the mods have begun to drift to other things.

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 03:40:53 PM »
I still log into the same MUD I've logged into for the past 13 years. <3 my mud. :D

Oh, who am I kidding, I <3 muds, and rogue likes.

NeutronPixie

• Underling
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2012, 04:25:03 PM »
Does this mean someone may do a COH one? I'd be SO happy if they did!

avelworldcreator

• Elite Boss
    • Basketcase Software
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2012, 08:03:06 PM »
Does this mean someone may do a COH one? I'd be SO happy if they did!
Under the hood they are all MUDS :)

DrBoston

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2012, 09:25:14 PM »

LadyWizard

• Minion
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2012, 06:41:00 PM »
http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/April_Fools%27_Day/2009_transcription
Yep that'd be the one... if I recall people were begging do it and were disappointed it was only an april fool's joke.  If someone goes ahead with it I do have my legit copy of zMUD ready and waiting
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 07:19:49 PM by LadyWizard »