Author Topic: Windows 10 built in spyware stuff  (Read 7786 times)

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
Windows 10 built in spyware stuff
« on: December 01, 2015, 06:07:46 AM »
So windows 10 has been out for awhile and I've checked around seen a few guides and such. Are we at a point now where most of this built in spyware junk can be disabled? This is one of the big reasons keeping me from ever updating windows and I was just curious.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
Re: Windows 10 built in spyware stuff
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 06:31:28 AM »
My resident tech guru says nyet.  Can't be done.

Also that about 1 in 4 upgrades to 10 comes with Unmitigated Disaster and Computer Meltdowns.  He's advising us to stay on good old 7.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 06:35:22 AM »
What built-in spyware junk? You mean the various data collection things in privacy settings for cortana and what not? All that can be turned off as can the automatic wifi sharing with your contacts who show up at your house. Apart from that I'm not aware of anything. Most of the kinks seem to be worked out now as well. I've not had any problems since the first month.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 07:19:46 AM »
Takes about 2 minutes, max, to turn all the data collecting/sharing stuff off, once, when you first load 10. Then you don't ever have to worry about it unless you need to reinstall/reset to factory. Haven't had any trouble with any of the updates. None of my programs stopped working or work differently. It's literally the first Windows version ever I have not had trouble with.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 05:36:07 PM »
I know that I'll come off sounding paranoid, but how can you tell that all of it it IS shut off? We're now living in a surveillance society. Even without that, companies make boatloads of money off of gathering and selling information about you. When you set those settings to OFF, how can you make certain that nothing's being transmitted from your computer, phone, etc., when you're connected? If there's a tech out there who knows, I'd really like the answer.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 07:28:59 PM »
I know that I'll come off sounding paranoid, but how can you tell that all of it it IS shut off? We're now living in a surveillance society. Even without that, companies make boatloads of money off of gathering and selling information about you. When you set those settings to OFF, how can you make certain that nothing's being transmitted from your computer, phone, etc., when you're connected? If there's a tech out there who knows, I'd really like the answer.

Tinfoil.  Everyone knows secret transmissions cannot travel through tinfoil. 

Waffles

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 07:33:35 PM »
I have windows 10, you can disable pretty much all of the spyware through the menus, they are just on by default.

I don't remember the exact process, but all I had to do was google "How to remove Windows 10 tracking" and I got some results.

EDIT: http://www.zdnet.com/article/want-to-limit-windows-10-tracking-there-is-an-app-for-that/

chuckv3

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 09:01:20 PM »
The only thing you need Windows for are games that simply cannot be made to work in Linux (which is very few).

If you are truly paranoid about Microsoft, or paranoid that 99% of PC malware targets Windows, or even if you hate the PC acting like the personal assistant you never asked for and don't want, then use Ubuntu. It is FREE. It can be installed and re-installed ad infinitum, and requires no CD Keys to do so. It's user-friendly, easy to install, updates itself automatically, and has an "app store" with hundreds of world-class applications that can be installed for free. And (at least at this point) it does not collect information or attempt to act as a personal assistant.

chuckv3

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 09:14:46 PM »
The only thing you need Windows for are games that simply cannot be made to work in Linux (which is very few).

If you are truly paranoid about Microsoft, or paranoid that 99% of PC malware targets Windows, or even if you hate the PC acting like the personal assistant you never asked for and don't want, then use Ubuntu. It is FREE. It can be installed and re-installed ad infinitum, and requires no CD Keys to do so. It's user-friendly, easy to install, updates itself automatically, and has an "app store" with hundreds of world-class applications that can be installed for free. And (at least at this point) it does not collect information or attempt to act as a personal assistant.

There are downsides, of course. Commercial software (if you absolutely must use it) tends to be Windows or Mac-specific, and much of it takes real skill to get working in Ubuntu, and sometimes simply will not work.

My recent experience with Guitar Pro 6 is representative. They claim to have a Linux version, but to install it under Ubuntu, I had to unpack their installation file, rename the app to all lower-case, remove a dependency that was stated incorrectly, install version 0.9.8 of openSSL into the usr directory to make it happy (even though Ubuntu includes openSSL 1.0.0, which would work perfectly fine), and install a few other unstated dependencies. It was a nightmare 5 or 6-hour struggle, all because my stepson bought a $59 software package that my wife REALLY wanted to use. There is a "tuxGuitar" work-alike that is free, and even imports and exports Guitar Pro files, but she refused to go that route. I did eventually get it all working, but for them to say that their product works in Linux borders on dishonesty. It looks as if they had it working for one version of Linux, without following any of the proper best practices for packaging a product for distribution, or even bothering to learn what those practices might be.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 09:37:56 PM »
Tinfoil.  Everyone knows secret transmissions cannot travel through tinfoil.

A lot of people make the mistake of using aluminum foil. While it will provide limited protection the more savvy tracking software, government agencies and alien mind control waves can penetrate it with ease.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 09:49:18 PM »
Keep in mind that Microsoft can reset your privacy settings at any time without your consent.

That was demonstrated with the initial release of Build 1511.   You could say the privacy resetting in that release was an accident or you could be more cynical and assume it became an accident after Microsoft got caught at it.

Given the amount of money that a unique marketing id on every PC represents, it is going to be very hard for even an honest man to avoid the temptation to silently turn that feature back on.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 03:30:31 PM »
A lot of people make the mistake of using aluminum foil. While it will provide limited protection the more savvy tracking software, government agencies and alien mind control waves can penetrate it with ease.

Tinfoil lined with duct tape?

RGladden

• Boss
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 04:51:57 PM »
Tinfoil lined with duct tape?

Nah....it doesn't work that way.  You have to line it with lead.

RGladden

• Boss
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2015, 04:56:16 PM »
Oh...and be sure not to lick your fingers after installing it...

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2015, 08:12:38 PM »
Oh...and be sure not to lick your fingers after installing it...

Which reminds me... I need to check prices on the Complete Red Green DVD set...

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2015, 04:05:19 AM »
I've been looking, since I'm getting a new laptop soon. It looks to me like using a local account is a first step that should help (rather than a Microsoft account). Then disabling everything.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2015, 04:25:13 AM »
Kinda curious as to what sort of dire effects people think having these privacy settings turned on will have. I'm guessing somewhere on the scale between slightly more appropriate banner ads that you're going to ignore anyway and the emanation of an odorless gas which will deteriorate tin and lead to the point where mind control waves can pass through them as easily as through an unset blancmange?

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2015, 05:57:42 AM »
Takes about 2 minutes, max, to turn all the data collecting/sharing stuff off, once, when you first load 10. Then you don't ever have to worry about it unless you need to reinstall/reset to factory. Haven't had any trouble with any of the updates. None of my programs stopped working or work differently. It's literally the first Windows version ever I have not had trouble with.

Gratz on being part of the 75%.  I personally know several IT techs who work in large offices where the upgrades are going on that will stand by that 1 in 4 has unmitigated disaster figure.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2015, 07:09:34 AM »
IT folks in large businesses are smart to be conservative. They're not just doing this for themselves but for every person in their company who can barely send an email without crashing something.

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2015, 09:38:53 PM »
Kinda curious as to what sort of dire effects people think having these privacy settings turned on will have. I'm guessing somewhere on the scale between slightly more appropriate banner ads that you're going to ignore anyway and the emanation of an odorless gas which will deteriorate tin and lead to the point where mind control waves can pass through them as easily as through an unset blancmange?

Google search "why does privacy matter".
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2015, 10:07:32 PM »

I would, but i don't want such things screwing up my well-tailored google searches :P

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2015, 10:10:42 PM »

And also search "Irony" while you're at it.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2015, 05:02:18 AM »

Translating: "Tell Google that you don't know why privacy matters."
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2015, 05:52:55 PM »

So bloody true.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2015, 08:51:36 PM »

...but also that you're finding out. What google search would you suggest to guide folks to articles about why seemingly innocuous data are not as benign as they seem?

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2015, 08:58:16 PM »
...but also that you're finding out. What google search would you suggest to guide folks to articles about why seemingly innocuous data are not as benign as they seem?
I wouldn't. If you're really interested in why security, privacy, etc., matters - don't google anything. Googling things (or using any other search engine) is giving away your privacy. lol

Go ask a person why it matters. Go to the library (yes, they still exist!). Contact companies who specialize in security and privacy.

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal