Author Topic: Looking for anti-Virus, etc. recommendations  (Read 4443 times)

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
Looking for anti-Virus, etc. recommendations
« on: January 08, 2013, 11:11:11 PM »
This was always a popular topic on the old forums. 

I've been using the AVG Free Edition for the past few years.  I'm feeling like trying out something more comprehensive.  What are you opinions?  I'm open to suggestions for paid packages too. 
Teams are the number one killers of Soloists.

Little Green Frog

• Boss
  • @Little Green Frog
Re: Looking for anti-Virus, etc. recommendations
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 11:17:50 PM »
For Windows Vista and 7, Microsoft Security Essentials is a solid choice. Light on system resources, efficient and not as much in-your-face as other free solutions such as AVG.

Windows 8 has a built-in Windows Defender utility that takes over from the above.

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 11:19:43 PM »
I've had good luck with using the Avira software. They have a free version that doesn't clash with Windows onboard tools and it takes up little space.

As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 11:41:41 PM »
I've had good luck with using the Avira software. They have a free version that doesn't clash with Windows onboard tools and it takes up little space.

This.

I've used Avira anti virus free since 2006 or so.

That and a careful, cautious technology/internet informed mind really helps you stay safe, not to sound belittling/condescending.
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 12:43:31 AM »
There is no best.  Pick one.  MSE is a good one, I find.

Internet is like a school full of sick kids... you are going to get something if you go to school long enough.  Such is the intarwebs... such is life.

/Or a USB device... turn Autoplay OFF for EVERYTHING.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 03:33:43 AM »
Avira for AV.  I have it do a full drive scan once a week.  I also scan with Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware once a week (full scan once a month).
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Ice Trix

• Boss
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 08:31:20 AM »
I suggest MSE (Microsoft security essentials - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/security-essentials-download ) for ease of use, and no brainer updating via windows update.
Despite being paid versions, Mcafee and Nortons are both often considered to be worse than any of the free scanners mentioned here.

You also need something to stop malware, which most antivirus products wont do well. Either Malwarebytes antimalware ( http://www.malwarebytes.org/ ) or superantispyware ( http://www.superantispyware.com/ ). I use malwarebyte myself, I find the paid version well worth the cost ($20 USD/lifetime).
Anyone whose computer I work on, I tell them that it will be far cheaper to spend the $20 USD than buy me the beer/dinner it will take for me to fix their computer a second time if the cause is malware.
Paid versions of malware scanners run constantly - so help prevent the malware entering your computer rather than having to do manual scans. Malwarebytes paid version also has an effective block list vs dodgy websites.

I also suggest you don't use Internet explorer. I suggest Firefox ( http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/ ) or Opera ( http://www.opera.com/ ) web browser.
The main (imo) reason to use one of these browsers over Internet Explorer is to install an extension to block ad - which are a common source of crap infecting your computer. AD Block+ is available on firefox and opera and well known for being good.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 08:52:14 AM »
I concur with the suggestion for using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to root out some stuff.  It's served me well.  As for anti-virus - I have no problems with AVG Free.  But when it comes up lately I keep hearing good things (and this thread is no exception, it seems) about Avira and MSE.  I can't personally vouch for them, though.

I also suggest you don't use Internet explorer. I suggest Firefox ( http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/ ) or Opera ( http://www.opera.com/ ) web browser.
The main (imo) reason to use one of these browsers over Internet Explorer is to install an extension to block ad - which are a common source of crap infecting your computer. AD Block+ is available on firefox and opera and well known for being good.

And I really have to agree with this, even if I don't like either of the suggested browsers.  I doggedly stayed with IE for a long time through many ad-created headaches because I just didn't like using Firefox, couldn't stand Opera, Netscape had long since become less than worthless, and various other suggestions weren't appealing.  Eventually, after several updates, I found Chrome to be my browser of choice (and it has its own version of AdBlock+ that works pretty well as long as you make sure to go into its options and uncheck the box that allows 'less intrusive' ads through).  I even ran into something malicious from one of the ads cycling through Best Buy's website (luckily, I was browsing with my XBOX at the time - although, on the other hand, that's probably the only reason I had the issue).  The internet is a hive of scum and villainy.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Samuel Tow

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 10:08:59 AM »
Personally, I favour avast. It's a bit fat in how it handles itself, but it hasn't steered me wrong so far. And unlike a lot of other anti-virus software, you can actually force it to permit a "suspicious" file if you know it's not. I used to run NOD32 on my home PC until it made it completely impossible to play City of Heroes because apparently the loader was a virus. Swapped it out entirely after that.
Of all the things I've lost,
I think I miss my mind the most.

houtex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 07:31:27 AM »
The internet is a hive of scum and villainy.

You got that right.  I have more, but... I just won't, it won't fit here. :|

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 04:03:52 PM »
Get a Mac....  8)

*Sorry, was not able to resist*

On a serious note.... get a mac. :p OK OK I joke! Listen to Little Green Frog's advice. Microsoft's solution is as perfect as it's going to get. Everything else will just cause more headaches than they are worth.

You can always also get a mac...  8)
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

I'm signing off and taking a break, blindly hope things change.

houtex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 03:49:56 AM »
orly?

http://www.webpronews.com/flashback-botnet-infects-over-half-a-million-macs-2012-04

If everyone got a Mac, everyone would be getting malware/viruses on a Mac.  It's a targeting system issue... shotgun is easier with a bigger target, and all that, and WinPCs are still the biggest target around... Business software is probably going to ensure that stays the case... :p

/I too say to people "Might wanna consider a Mac." for that reason, along with the fact that Windows is a house of cards at best sometimes, with the caveat that it's not invulnerable if targeted, so don't get cocky... it's just different.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 04:44:48 AM »
Get a Mac....  8)

*Sorry, was not able to resist*

On a serious note.... get a mac. :p OK OK I joke! Listen to Little Green Frog's advice. Microsoft's solution is as perfect as it's going to get. Everything else will just cause more headaches than they are worth.

You can always also get a mac...  8)

I've used three Apple computers in my life.  In every single case the magic blue smoke escaped.  That's high on my list of reasons why I would never consider getting a Mac.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 04:27:33 PM »
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 04:30:22 PM »
I've used three Apple computers in my life.  In every single case the magic blue smoke escaped.  That's high on my list of reasons why I would never consider getting a Mac.

You got to be the unluckiest man in the world. I never had a mac fail on me. I converted after having every PC (laptop really) I ever got fail on me. Sure, PC laptops are WAY cheaper... but I had to replace them every 5 to 6 months! Ended being cheaper to get a mac laptop that has lived 3 years without any overheating or hardware issues at all.

I still would build my own Gaming PC, though. Mac Towers I can add my pick of video card are indeed insanely expensive (they only come in Xeon varieties) and most games I care for anyways are indeed Windows. So not saying anyone should actually switch for mac if you want to play games at all (unless you are in for a lot of indie games in the App Store.)