Author Topic: I was contacted by a Korean Journalist to comment on CoH  (Read 33529 times)

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
  • Keeper of the Sacred Number
Re: I was contacted by a Korean Journalist to comment on CoH
« Reply #100 on: December 05, 2012, 09:46:09 AM »
* DrakeGrimm flees before getting lynched for referencing TSW
Dude, TSW rocks... but, Ms. Geary would like a word with you.  Clearly the Illuminati is where its at.

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #101 on: December 05, 2012, 09:46:55 AM »
I think I'm out of date with my internet slang... What does unicorn actually mean in this context? I know it seems rightly applied to people being 'the one sane man' type jerks, but not sure where it comes from!

This forum autocorrects the world tee arr oh double ell to 'unicorn' :)
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #102 on: December 05, 2012, 09:47:27 AM »
I think I'm out of date with my internet slang... What does unicorn actually mean in this context? I know it seems rightly applied to people being 'the one sane man' type jerks, but not sure where it comes from!

These forums have an automated word filter that turns T R O L L (and the many use of that word with suffixes and such) into unicorn.
So, those hateful creatures that lurk under bridges and leap out to extort some undeserved payment from you via your sanity at trying to talk amongst reasonable people... are kindly automatically referred to as unicorns here.

I know not why (not exactly... other than the juxtaposition humor of it).
--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #103 on: December 05, 2012, 09:49:12 AM »
These forums have an automated word filter that turns u n i c o r n (and the many use of that word with suffixes and such) into unicorn.
So, those hateful creatures that lurk under bridges and leap out to extort some undeserved payment from you via your sanity at trying to talk amongst reasonable people... are kindly automatically referred to as unicorns here.

I know not why (not exactly... other than the juxtaposition humor of it).

Great moogly oogly... the filter even catches the word spelled out with the letters spaced! :D
SDFKJSFDKHTFKJHSDFKJRSFKJHSDFKJHSDFOSDFKJHDSFKHSDFLSDFKJHSDFKHSDFL
:D
--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

Iron-Emerald

• Minion
« Reply #104 on: December 05, 2012, 10:35:28 AM »
Ohhhhhh! Thanks! I was trying to think what about the behaviour was unicorn-like and was feeling a bit dumb since I couldn't think of anything.   :P

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #105 on: December 05, 2012, 12:03:26 PM »
hee hee hee
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #106 on: December 05, 2012, 12:13:31 PM »
 ;D I love it!
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #107 on: December 05, 2012, 12:33:20 PM »
u n i c o r n

Great moogly oogly... the filter even catches the word spelled out with the letters spaced! :D

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #108 on: December 05, 2012, 01:19:54 PM »
I've heard that calling him "Bill" is code for "I HAVE MET WILLIAM SHATNER AND HE IS SUPER COOL!"  Idly wondering if that's at all founded in reality...

William Shatner is barely founded in reality. But he is pretty cool.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #109 on: December 05, 2012, 01:40:06 PM »
I'm not sure what Tony's beef with the word is, but it doesn't really matter. From what I've seen, I suspect he's as amused by this flurry of attempts at getting around the filter, and he's not gonna come down on us for it, or anything. I was always tempted to rotate names of types of a certain villain group found predominantly in Skyway City (Gardvord, Jutal, Caliban, etc.).
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #110 on: December 05, 2012, 01:46:03 PM »
Mild objection: Ayn Randian types - such as myself - do not necessarily think that a company can "do whatever it wants." We just recognize that it is their property, and we did know this going in. I will go so far as to say that the serious and most successful approaches to resolving our issues are ones of which Ms. Rand would have greatly approved - namely, the early efforts to find a buyer or to put together a buy proposal; TF Hail Mary; and the successor-game efforts.

Each of these is firmly rooted in principles wholly in line with objectivism: We, as a community, see value that the current owners either do not see or do not want, and have attempted first to enlighten them, then to find somebody who will share the view and will see enough value to make NCSoft willing to give it up since they don't want it anymore, and then, if that fails, to put our own sweat and tears into filling the niche wherein we see this value.

Rand's hero in Atlas Shrugged, Hank Rearden, refuses to sell a product he owns: the patent to a new metal formula that the book tells us is stronger and lighter than steel (and apparently uses copper as a primary component). One might try to draw a parallel to NCSoft's refusal to sell CoH's IP, but one would be mistaken. Rearden, like Tony Stark in Iron Man 2, refuses to sell his property "because it's [his]," but also because he wants to see it USED. He sees value in it, and he wants to exploit it. (In Rearden's case, the express purpose of the buyer - the government - wanting to buy it is to make sure it's never used.)

What is ethical, to a true Ayn Randian, is to respect life, liberty, and property. To respect that one who owns the property is the only one who has a right to decide how it is used, so long as he is not using it to deprive others of the use of theirs. It is not ethical to demand another use his property in a way to help you; you can only demand inaction of another without impinging his liberty, not action.

What is moral, to a true Ayn Randian, is to use your life, liberty, and property to seek excellence and exploit one's resources to produce more excellence. To give of your productivity in exchange for value you otherwise could not have, but only with those who will pay for it of their own free will. In this, you enrich yourself with that value you couldn't get otherwise and them with your product they valued more than what they paid you.

What NCSoft has done is ethical, but stupid. What they have done may, to a Randian, be immoral, depending on why they did it. (We've been told there are legal issues at play of which we know nothing; NCSoft may, to an extent, be a victim here. They have not handled themselves in a responsible fashion wrt trying to deal with their customers, so "may be a victim" doesn't absolve them of that, but it might mean they weren't "sinning" in an objectivist sense.)

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #111 on: December 05, 2012, 02:09:26 PM »
I'm not sure what Tony's beef with the word is, but it doesn't really matter. From what I've seen, I suspect he's as amused by this flurry of attempts at getting around the filter, and he's not gonna come down on us for it, or anything. I was always tempted to rotate names of types of a certain villain group found predominantly in Skyway City (Gardvord, Jutal, Caliban, etc.).

I just refer to one of the CoH ATs shortened forms as unicorner to make the point I think it's silly.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 03:26:33 PM by Minotaur »

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #112 on: December 05, 2012, 02:14:42 PM »
Hmm. The filter used to let that one through, too.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #113 on: December 05, 2012, 02:16:58 PM »
Hmm. The filter used to let that one through, too.
It's worth noting that, the way filters work, it has to be a wholly different one since it filters the t-space-r-space-o-space-l-space-l to "u n i c o r n s" and not "unicorns."

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #114 on: December 05, 2012, 02:52:46 PM »
It's worth noting that, the way filters work, it has to be a wholly different one since it filters the t-space-r-space-o-space-l-space-l to "u n i c o r n s" and not "unicorns."

He used to have one for it that changed it to just "unicorn".

Obviously that was a bug, so I fixed it to correctly reproduce the spacing. :P

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #115 on: December 05, 2012, 02:56:07 PM »
It is pleasing to know that such bugs are hunted down and ruthlessly cut into p i e c e s.

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #116 on: December 06, 2012, 01:29:55 PM »
well....it seems that 'troal' works. (Those Rotten Overbearing Argumentative Loudmouths)

Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #117 on: December 06, 2012, 08:34:50 PM »
The butt-shaped mouse is the keystone of that image.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

zoser

• Lieutenant
« Reply #118 on: December 07, 2012, 04:06:27 AM »
Amazing as always - I salute thee!
Even after the servers went dark, I said to myself: "We WILL be back!"
Admittedly that was more to keep up some semblance of spirit, but I feel that it really will happen now. :)
Once this is proven true, we need to add a statue somewhere nice in our City

We love you, VV.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 05:35:29 AM by zoser »

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
  • Keeper of the Sacred Number
« Reply #119 on: December 13, 2012, 05:48:19 PM »
hee hee hee

I first read that as:

"Golf tee, pirate, oh, train train."  Which didn't help me any.