Author Topic: If we start with no user data  (Read 105277 times)

Waffles

• Elite Boss
Re: If we start with no user data
« Reply #340 on: July 20, 2014, 02:42:27 PM »
One concern I have, is that making character builds is likely going to be much harder, with the reduced population and in the case of a data wipe, a clean slate. (None are going to be floating around)

Levels can be gained fairly easily, but the enhancements/ios not-as much, so i'd much rather a measure be taken to make obtaining these somewhat more in the grasp of reality. Perhaps just a crapload of villain/hero merits when we start out?

That and veteran costume pieces would be nice.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #341 on: July 20, 2014, 05:34:11 PM »
or perhaps seed the auction houses with quite a few and let game economics take its course.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Lava-Lad

• Minion
« Reply #342 on: July 20, 2014, 06:26:12 PM »
As a lot of others have said, getting back to Paragon is what matters most (re rolling be damned).  That being said, allowing folks to pre-order, reserve a name or five and provide a path to recreating the avatars that we all knew each other through appear to this spectator pretty smart moves by whoever can resurrect CoH.  If all of our data is lost (and I'm assuming it is), offering folks the option to get back to normal through some expedited channels (2X XP, more choices in mish rewards or even a single maxed out 50+++) seem like minor issues.  How much impact can a single maxed out 50 per account really have on the market or the game?  No one I played with regularly ever had just one main...we all had a main fill in the blank (scrapper,tank, on Pinn, on Justice, etc.).  I assume that anyone reading this will play the hell out of any 50 they are able to recover or are "given", but wil shortly thereafter be rerolling another alt.

I will play (and pay for) the game when it comes back, regardless of what we start with.  As to the aversion to paying for content, I'm not sure I understand it all that well.  All of us who paid subscriptions or bought from the cash shop were paying for content, and I don't think that was a bad thing (I mean, I like to get paid for my work too). 

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #343 on: July 20, 2014, 07:27:43 PM »
One concern I have, is that making character builds is likely going to be much harder, with the reduced population and in the case of a data wipe, a clean slate. (None are going to be floating around)

Levels can be gained fairly easily, but the enhancements/ios not-as much, so i'd much rather a measure be taken to make obtaining these somewhat more in the grasp of reality. Perhaps just a crapload of villain/hero merits when we start out?

That and veteran costume pieces would be nice.

Or you could just play without optimized builds until the economics restores everything.  I don't think the game was really designed with the intention of everybody instantly having total selection of all possible enhancements -- it just worked out that way over time.

Early restoration will just be kind of like playing in one of those "one-green button" servers ... Liberty, perhaps?
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #344 on: July 20, 2014, 11:08:57 PM »
Or you could just play without optimized builds until the economics restores everything.  I don't think the game was really designed with the intention of everybody instantly having total selection of all possible enhancements -- it just worked out that way over time.

Early restoration will just be kind of like playing in one of those "one-green button" servers ... Liberty, perhaps?

Yeah. It's not like you can't solo AVs using SOs. As for the servers, weren't the markets consolidated across the servers?
In any case... so even the power players with lots of time will have to wait a month or two to get a truly maxed out character or two. Is that really a major problem, considering how long we've waited to play at all?

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #345 on: July 21, 2014, 04:29:27 AM »
Yes it was all one market, all factions, all servers. Same inventory no matter where you were.

Which was awesome if you played redside where the pop was always low.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #346 on: July 22, 2014, 01:18:55 AM »
Yes it was all one market, all factions, all servers. Same inventory no matter where you were.

Which was awesome if you played redside where the pop was always low.

Was that always the case?  I would have sworn I'd seen barren wastelands in low population servers (maybe I'm just delusional)
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Serpine

• Biting Commentarian
  • Boss
  • Telegram force and ready
« Reply #347 on: July 22, 2014, 01:58:59 AM »
Was that always the case?  I would have sworn I'd seen barren wastelands in low population servers (maybe I'm just delusional)
I believe it was Issue 18 things when all consignment houses on all sides were merged, so the wasteland you are recalling could have just been a flashback to the era before that.
Guns don't kill people, meerkats do.

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #348 on: July 22, 2014, 05:47:37 AM »
Since this is not a new game - well it is in the sense that it is new management. I was thinking of ways to give players back some of their stuff quickly. I do know that people feel that I paid for it once why pay again and I don't dismiss that. However the new management has never collected anything yet. Sp how do you fairly administer this?

Ideas for the games return:

1. Allow every player to get 1 level 50 at the start.
2. Allow either a starter pack with all the Vet rewards or have a same starting setup as the 50 where you get to pick say any 10 rewards.
3. Open all AT including VT's at creation.

Try posting some ways that would be fair to both the new owners and players!

I'd be just happy to have the game back, wouldn't be that bothered if had to start from scratch. Had a few 50's but could get those back after time, I would see it as a new game due to NCSoft closing the game and a new studio starting it up again. Just my two cents!

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #349 on: July 22, 2014, 06:06:44 AM »
I'd rank the following as my priorities for returning / expectations:

I want all powersets available from I23 for free at restart.  The planned I24 sets would have to be purchased.

I want all the ATs available for free.  Exception:  I could see Khelds and SoAs being 'premium' as a concession.  Perhaps you get them free if you unlock at level 50 like the good ole days, but you could buy them earlier.

I want at least 12 character slots per server for free.  If there's a server compression, then I'd like that number bumped to 16 or 24, depending on number of servers.  Extra slots need to be purchased or earned.

I don't need a free level 50.  2x xp would be fine for that.  Purchaseable xp boosters were available with freedom so that's easy to get if I want to level faster.

I can live without my vet rewards to start (I had all of them at time of closure).  However, I'd like to see the vet tree available again in whatever store there is.  This way I can earn points again and move up the tree for the powers I want, or can purchase to get them faster.

Costume sets.  This is a tough one.  I bought my fair share of sets and pieces, so I'd like them available for free.  However, I could concede that some of the major packs are things I'd have to repurchase / earn.

Content.  I think it should all be unlocked.  SSAs.  Incarnate.  Praetoria.  Don't restrict / exclude players from being able to team and have fun with each other.  That will just piss people off.

My demands are based on the simple fact that this game ran on being able to create alts.  That means any new ownership should not include a nickel and dime system that forces players from deciding whether than can create a new alt or not.  The more alts a new player can create with powersets, ATs, and to a degree, costumes, the happier the players would be.  Happy players = supportive players who'll spend money.

I'd suggest that the new ownership would be better off asking for more money upfront than nickel and diming players.  I'd be willing to pay something like a full price box value for total I23 access than a month sub + 5 bucks for this, 5 bucks for that, 10 more for this, and to more to do that.

Furthermore, they could also bump up the monthly fee to 20 and no one would complain if it meant we got all the stuff we had and the team was working toward continuing the game.  If they needed more money after that to finish I24 and /or move on to CoX 2, they can just ask.  Look at the CoT Kickstarter (or the Zombicide 3) for evidence of what a community is willing to pay / donate to get something they want.  Again, don't nickel and dime.

Lava-Lad

• Minion
« Reply #350 on: July 23, 2014, 02:21:09 AM »

I'd suggest that the new ownership would be better off asking for more money upfront than nickel and diming players.  I'd be willing to pay something like a full price box value for total I23 access than a month sub + 5 bucks for this, 5 bucks for that, 10 more for this, and to more to do that.

Furthermore, they could also bump up the monthly fee to 20 and no one would complain if it meant we got all the stuff we had and the team was working toward continuing the game.  If they needed more money after that to finish I24 and /or move on to CoX 2, they can just ask.  Look at the CoT Kickstarter (or the Zombicide 3) for evidence of what a community is willing to pay / donate to get something they want.  Again, don't nickel and dime.

this would be a respectful approach.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #351 on: July 23, 2014, 02:59:34 AM »
$20/month would not be out of line, but i would hope we would get some development for that.
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #352 on: July 23, 2014, 03:09:14 AM »
Definitely would want to be paying for more development.

I'm figuring the 'box' cost up front would cover the purchase of the game and the first year of staffing.  Based upon X users.

Then, the subs would be for continued operation and development.  I don't think there's a ton that needs to be added.  The game and its systems are all there with 8 years of content.  Just a powerset or story arc or trial every few months would be really good.  Extra cash could be put aside for CoX II.  A kickstarter or new box could be pre-sold to cover the rest of the development.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #353 on: July 23, 2014, 03:15:34 AM »
Thing is I will recruit new players, I can assure the new buyers they will get lots of NEW players as well as seasoned vets back cuz I won't relent. :)
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Apex Viper

• Minion
« Reply #354 on: July 23, 2014, 03:36:54 AM »
Thing is I will recruit new players, I can assure the new buyers they will get lots of NEW players as well as seasoned vets back cuz I won't relent. :)

The ripple of a resurrected game, that the community fought to safe alone will grab new players. Then once they are in, they will get hooked like we all did.
In the end, we all are heroes, even the Villains; fighting to save a city that we all love.

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #355 on: July 23, 2014, 04:54:29 AM »
I would like to see the following:

City Of Heroes: Basic Edition $25 - This includes the entire game CoH/CoV/Going Rogue. You would start out as a brand new player.. no vet rewards etc + 2000 Paragon points total

City Of Heroes: Revival Edition $45 - This includes everything from Basic Edition plus 50 costume unlock pieces and all the vet rewards + 3,600 Paragon points total

City Of Heroes: Revival Deluxe Edition - $65 Everything from Basic and Revival Editions and... all costumes unlocked + 5,200 Paragon points total

In the paragon market I would like to see ALL the previous enhancements offered at a SERIOUSLY reduced rate (Think 20%) as well as the sale of Alignment Merits at a VERY reasonable price. This will allow for an influx of enhancements in the beginning which will help stimulate the economy.

Both the Revival Edition and the Revival Deluxe Edition would award your first 10 toons X amount of reward merits (9,999 seems like a fair number to me) this will allow for players to buy recipes to start the market off as well as their toons.

I don't think there should be ANY free players. but I think it should be a two tier system

$9.99/month  is a Premium player who has access to everything.
$14.99/month is a VIP who has access to everything and gets 800 Paragon points a month (So basically you are getting 400 free paragon points a month since 400 costs $5) and.....

Members who are VIP at least 1 year (does not have to be consecutive months) will gain closed beta access to CoH2 as well as a special badge to signify their commitment; which is account bound and granted to every character in CoH2.

Members who are VIP more than 1 year (does not have to be consecutive months) will gain closed beta access to CoH2 and have a 1 week head start on CoH2 as well as a special badge to signify their commitment which is account bound and granted to every character in CoH2 AND have access to a variety of in-game titles to celebrate their devotion.

Members who are VIP from re-launch to CoH2 with no lapse in status will gain closed beta access to CoH2, a 1 week head start on CoH2, the previous 2 perks (badge and title), AND a hand signed boxed edition of CoH2 from the devs.

Just my thoughts now that I have been up for 26 hours... :)

Apex Viper

• Minion
« Reply #356 on: July 23, 2014, 05:58:39 AM »
I would like to see the following:

City Of Heroes: Basic Edition $25 - This includes the entire game CoH/CoV/Going Rogue. You would start out as a brand new player.. no vet rewards etc + 2000 Paragon points total

City Of Heroes: Revival Edition $45 - This includes everything from Basic Edition plus 50 costume unlock pieces and all the vet rewards + 3,600 Paragon points total

City Of Heroes: Revival Deluxe Edition - $65 Everything from Basic and Revival Editions and... all costumes unlocked + 5,200 Paragon points total

These seem like fair prices to me....shut up and take my $65.
In the end, we all are heroes, even the Villains; fighting to save a city that we all love.

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #357 on: July 23, 2014, 02:44:29 PM »

Yeah I would totally buy the Deluxe Revival Edition AND be VIP until CoH2 :)

These seem like fair prices to me....shut up and take my $65.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #358 on: July 23, 2014, 02:51:37 PM »
Burnt Toast, I like some of your ideas. However, I don't like the idea that people who are VIP in CoH get advanced perks for CoH2. I'm sure I will purchase at least some time in CoH, and hopefully I'll be able to play for free after that. But assuming that CoH2 is announced fairly soon after CoH is bought, I will likely save money for that. While I understand the idea behind rewarding people who are committed to the franchise as a whole, I don't know that people like me who are committed but want to save money up front to spend on CoH 2 later should be "penalized" (in quotes since I'm not really being penalized, it's just that others are being elevated above me). I just have mixed feelings about it.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #359 on: July 23, 2014, 03:19:04 PM »
If the game comes back as I24 essentially in maintenance mode don't you think there ought to be some perk for staying subscribed to 10 year old game that is going to have no new content or powers developed for it? What if CoH2 takes 2 years to develop?

They will need the money and I think it's plenty fair that people supporting CoH get the stupid tote bag because none of the money they pay is going to fund development in the game they are playing. They are essentially supporting the development of CoH2 and so yeah, I think they should get perks in it.

You should always find a way to reward your most loyal customers.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!