Author Topic: MMORPG - COH profitability  (Read 88580 times)

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
Re: MMORPG - COH profitability
« Reply #440 on: January 15, 2013, 09:12:46 PM »
I would like to point out that hypothesizing that it could have been based on cultural differences is the least damning "accusation" we could make for why NCSoft did what they did. I'm not saying that all Koreans, or even all Korean companies, are as blind to international corporate business as NCSoft seems to be. In fact, I haven't really seen anyone come out and say that all Korean companies operate this way. But then, it could just be the way I look at things. It does take some stupidity to totally ignore another business' culture, whether it be in the same country or not.

If we were to remove the cultural differences from the situation, the only options we are left with, are aggressive stupidity, or aggressive malice. Of those two options, I'm really not sure which is worse.

Just a thought to ponder while you attempt to rescue the sanity of the Korean CoHers that are still here.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Knight Light

• Lieutenant
« Reply #441 on: January 15, 2013, 10:27:40 PM »
If we were to remove the cultural differences from the situation, the only options we are left with, are aggressive stupidity, or aggressive malice. Of those two options, I'm really not sure which is worse.

After 5 months of looking into NCSoft and living with this situation, I'm inclined to believe that it's a healthy combination of both these factors.

I believe to my core that there currently isn't any information that can be used as an argument to state that anyone in the higher ranks of NCSoft has even a remote level of intelligence. While their other games may have larger followings, I don't believe any of them would inspire the level of loyalty that CoH has and the manner in which they have gone about treating this tremendously loyal customer base can, at best, be described as hostile.

They should just get it over with and change the company motto.

"NCSoft: We're stupid AND we're evil"

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #442 on: January 15, 2013, 10:47:40 PM »
We have facts and reliable source confirmed information. The only theory (underlined as that's really all we have as to why this has happened) that links all these together in a way that makes sense is the idea of conflicting culture as Segev has put forwards.
I wouldn't call it a theory.

The theory that the primary explanation rests with culture implies that the specific individuals that made the decisions were not particularly important: that the probability was high that anyone in that position within NCsoft would have been sufficiently influenced by cultural factors to make fundamentally similar decisions.

The converse theory is that the decisions made were unique to the individuals involved for specific personally unique and currently unknown reasons.  And there is no evidence to the contrary.  The fact that the cultural narrative *appears* to explain more is an illusion because there exists no evidence to support its implied narrative elements.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #443 on: January 16, 2013, 12:47:10 AM »
I have been asked to share another alternate theory consistent with the facts that contradicts the notion that specific cultural differences endemic to the populace of South Korea contributed in a material fashion to the City of Heroes shutdown.

The gravitational energy density of the universe has a value that can be estimated by general relativity and cosmological evolutionary physics.  These calculations converge on values which are inconsistent with the observable material density of the cosmos but are consistent with projected matter densities based on galactic and supercluster structure.  This value is approximately five times larger than the net observable matter density of the cosmos and suggests a widespread pervasive form of matter which is weakly interacting and radiatively decoupled but gravitationally interacting.  This "dark matter" has by definition significant consequences on overall cosmological structure and large gravitationally bound systems.

Distributed in a manner which follows the linear angular momentum curve of our galaxy, this has the net effect of stabilizing the two spiral arms of the Milky Way which extend from its central bar and the stellar formation wavefront relative to the Sun's orbit.  This reduces the probability of disruptive interactions on its planetary orbits and increases the period of Oort cloud perturbations which can create heightened terrestrial bombardment events.  This stability has a marked effect on the window of opportunity for technological civilizations to arise capable of expending sizeable amounts of computational technology on entertainment avenues.  This combined with the coincident advantageous nature of agrarian optimization generalized into industrial organization of economies around specialization giving rise to capital control of primary economies significantly increased the probability of a south asian entertainment company being in a position to terminate the north american development studio of a massively multiplayer game. 

This being a necessary prerequisite for same leads to the conclusion that there is a significant cosmological connection between dark matter's gravitational coupling of galactic matter and Korean executives' proclivities towards downsizing.

WildFire15

• Lieutenant
« Reply #444 on: January 16, 2013, 12:52:04 AM »
I wouldn't call it a theory.

The theory that the primary explanation rests with culture implies that the specific individuals that made the decisions were not particularly important: that the probability was high that anyone in that position within NCsoft would have been sufficiently influenced by cultural factors to make fundamentally similar decisions.

The converse theory is that the decisions made were unique to the individuals involved for specific personally unique and currently unknown reasons.  And there is no evidence to the contrary.  The fact that the cultural narrative *appears* to explain more is an illusion because there exists no evidence to support its implied narrative elements.

I think you're right there.

chasearcanum

• Boss
« Reply #445 on: January 16, 2013, 03:02:08 PM »
I have been asked to share another alternate theory consistent with the facts that contradicts the notion that specific cultural differences endemic to the populace of South Korea contributed in a material fashion to the City of Heroes shutdown.

The gravitational energy density of the universe has a value that can be estimated by general relativity and cosmological evolutionary physics.  These calculations converge on values which are inconsistent with the observable material density of the cosmos but are consistent with projected matter densities based on galactic and supercluster structure.  This value is approximately five times larger than the net observable matter density of the cosmos and suggests a widespread pervasive form of matter which is weakly interacting and radiatively decoupled but gravitationally interacting.  This "dark matter" has by definition significant consequences on overall cosmological structure and large gravitationally bound systems.

Distributed in a manner which follows the linear angular momentum curve of our galaxy, this has the net effect of stabilizing the two spiral arms of the Milky Way which extend from its central bar and the stellar formation wavefront relative to the Sun's orbit.  This reduces the probability of disruptive interactions on its planetary orbits and increases the period of Oort cloud perturbations which can create heightened terrestrial bombardment events.  This stability has a marked effect on the window of opportunity for technological civilizations to arise capable of expending sizeable amounts of computational technology on entertainment avenues.  This combined with the coincident advantageous nature of agrarian optimization generalized into industrial organization of economies around specialization giving rise to capital control of primary economies significantly increased the probability of a south asian entertainment company being in a position to terminate the north american development studio of a massively multiplayer game. 

This being a necessary prerequisite for same leads to the conclusion that there is a significant cosmological connection between dark matter's gravitational coupling of galactic matter and Korean executives' proclivities towards downsizing.

Well, based on that, it seems clear that Dark Matter is, indeed, a major contributor here. 

If only we had known sooner, we could have used our own dark/dark controllers to fight back.

No wonder they were so determined to take CoH down.

Blackbird71

• Minion
« Reply #446 on: January 16, 2013, 06:27:51 PM »

Now you're just being ridiculous.

I believe it is perfectly reasonable, even necessary, to consider cultural differences as a potential factor in international business relations, and it is entirely possible to do so without being offensive.  To dismiss this differences as a factor altogether, especially to the point that they cannot even be discussed without accusations of "racism" is willful ignorance, for which I have no tolerance.

Frankly, the immediate shouting down of anyone who even mentions "Korea", or who dares to propose that there might be a cultural difference at play, is turning me off of these forums much faster than one or two idiots who can't contain their personal feelings on other cultures.  I can ignore a couple of loudmouths, but the entire atmosphere on these forums has been turning into one of overreaction and calling "racist" towards anyone who holds a different opinion, and that is not an environment conducive to a healthy discussion and investigation of the facts.

JetFlash

• Boss
« Reply #447 on: January 16, 2013, 06:47:38 PM »
Now you're just being ridiculous.

I believe that to have been her goal.

/foghornleghorn

It's a joke, son!!!

;D

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #448 on: January 16, 2013, 07:12:34 PM »
I believe it is perfectly reasonable, even necessary, to consider cultural differences as a potential factor in international business relations, and it is entirely possible to do so without being offensive.  To dismiss this differences as a factor altogether, especially to the point that they cannot even be discussed without accusations of "racism" is willful ignorance, for which I have no tolerance.
That would be true if the people doing the discussing were sufficiently knowledgeable about both international business in general and the specifics of cultural influence on business culture in the specific.

"Could it be because they are Koreans" is not a cultural analysis.  When the CEO of Hyundai starts burning down Kentucky Fried Chickens to make space for new car showrooms, I'll reconsider.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #449 on: January 16, 2013, 07:15:32 PM »
It's a joke, son!!!
I should have made it more American: less necessary punctuation, more unnecessary punctuation.

Little Green Frog

• Boss
  • @Little Green Frog
« Reply #450 on: January 16, 2013, 07:19:24 PM »
I believe it is perfectly reasonable, even necessary, to consider cultural differences as a potential factor in international business relations,

Why exactly is it necessary to consider those cultural differences? We have no substantial evidence that they have played any role in the whole situation. In fact we have no evidence of any factor playing any role. We know nothing. The theory of involvement of cultural differences can be replaced with dozens others. The only reason this one keeps being so pervasive is because it helps to paint certain people as black-and-white villains and then channel all the vitriol you contain towards that image. It's a practical replacement for a witch. Just like with her you can lay all blame on it and burn it. Instant relief.

And just like the poor witch, the accused has no say in their defence. There were some Korean players that tried to explain this whole thing is ridiculous, but they were shouted down.

and it is entirely possible to do so without being offensive.

This I agree with. Unfortunately, to do so, you need to thread carefully and be wary as to avoid any prejudice. People who engage in arguing that kibun was possibly the key factor in game closure, even though they have no way of proving that, with almost no exception lack these qualities. They prance into threads and start shouting how these Koreans, being Korean, did this clearly Korean thing to us. Because they are Koreans, duh! You say that you have no tolerance for ignorance. Doesn't that offend you then?

To dismiss this differences as a factor altogether, especially to the point that they cannot even be discussed without accusations of "racism" is willful ignorance, for which I have no tolerance.

And how do you call insistence on arguing some theory that can't be neither proven, nor disproven? Give us proof that your cultural based claims are based on facts and no one will say a word. But start with that nonsense about Asians closing the game out of spite, because they must hate our guts and you'll get a reaction.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 07:24:44 PM by Little Green Frog »

chasearcanum

• Boss
« Reply #451 on: January 16, 2013, 07:23:54 PM »
I should have made it more American: less necessary punctuation, more unnecessary punctuation.

I put your original post through the redneck dialectizer to see if it helped:

ah have been axed t'share t'other alternate theo'y cornsissent wif th' facks thet corntradicks th' noshun thet specific cultural differences indemic t'th' populace of South Ko'ea corntributed in a material fashion t'th' City of Heroes shetdown, as enny fool kin plainly see.

Th' gravitashunal inergy density of th' unyverse has a value thet kin be estimated by juneral relativity an' cosmological evolushunary physics. These calculashuns cornvahge on values which is inconsissent wif th' observable material density of th' cosmos but is consissent wif projecked matter densities based on galackic an' superclester struckure. This hyar value is approximately five times larger than th' net observable matter density of th' cosmos an' suggests a widespread pervasive fo'm of matter which is weakly interackin' an' radiatively decoupled but gravitashunally interackin'. This hyar "dark matter" has by definishun significant cornsequences on on overall cosmological struckure an' large gravitashunally boun' systems.

Distributed in a manner which follers th' linear angular momentum curve of our galaxy, this hyar has th' net effeck of stabilizin' th' two spiral arms of th' Milky Way which extend fum its central bar an' th' stellar fo'mashun wavefront relative t'th' Sun's o'bit. This hyar redooces th' probability of disruppive interackshuns on its planetary o'bits an' increases th' period of Oo't cloud perturbashuns which kin create heightened terrestrial bombardment events. This hyar stability has a marked effeck on th' window of oppo'tunity fo' technological civilizashuns t'arise capable of expendin' sizeable amounts of compeetayshunal technology on intertainment avenues. This hyar combined wif th' coincident advantageous nature of agrarian oppimizashun juneralized into indestrial o'ganizashun of economies aroun' specializashun givin' rise t'capital corntrol of primary economies significantly increased th' probability of a south asian intertainment compenny bein' in a posishun t'terminate th' no'th South Car'linan development studio of a massively multiplayer game.

This hyar bein' a necessary prerequisite fo' same leads t'th' conclushun thet thar is a significant cosmological cornneckshun between dark matter's gravitashunal couplin' of galackic matter an' Ko'ean executives' proclivities towards downsizin'.

WildFire15

• Lieutenant
« Reply #452 on: January 16, 2013, 07:31:31 PM »
I think it might be time to take a bigger step away from 'defiantly because of Korean business ideas' as I recall the independent analyst mentioned in the Korean Times article couldn't work out any good reasons for CoH's closure from NC's side either.
Having thought on it more, with the clear lack of interest in sustaining City of Heroes, NCsoft probably planned on waiting for it to fail and keeping the IP to wave around as just another number to investors, but when Paragon asked to go independent, NCsoft shot them down and had to do something to make CoH fail, likely leading them to approve the Lost/Minecraft idea and loading the studio with employees so it went into the red so they could shut it down without the investors asking too many questions.
If anything, it's extremely short sighted and greedy business more then anything else with it's eyes so fixed on that throne that even a solid chair will not do.

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #453 on: January 16, 2013, 07:33:23 PM »
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

I'm signing off and taking a break, blindly hope things change.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #454 on: January 16, 2013, 07:35:23 PM »
"Could it be because they are Koreans" is not a cultural analysis.  When the CEO of Hyundai starts burning down Kentucky Fried Chickens to make space for new car showrooms, I'll reconsider.

This is not an accurate analogy. Your average KFC, never mind one that has been standing for more than ten years, is so saturated, and therefore held together by, grease, the only safe way to take it down, for any reason, is to burn it.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #455 on: January 16, 2013, 07:38:01 PM »
This is not an accurate analogy. Your average KFC, never mind one that has been standing for more than ten years, is so saturated, and therefore held together by, grease, the only safe way to take it down, for any reason, is to burn it.

I'd argue the saturation is such, that burning it would be the most dangerous approach.
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

I'm signing off and taking a break, blindly hope things change.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #456 on: January 16, 2013, 07:43:20 PM »
Maybe NCsoft thought Paragon Studios was held together by an equal amount of crazy.  They did let us tweet their soft drink machine, after all.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #457 on: January 16, 2013, 07:54:46 PM »
I have to say it is fun having your motives being slammed as your being a loudmouthed redneck.

Not a single solitary person here knows the true reason for NCSoft shutting the game down. However I can point openly and obviously to the fact that NCSoft has pulled out of most of the West and is acting in a protectionist manner by pushing a mostly Asian agenda.

However the politically correct squad dares you to take a step out of line - you are then a racist and ignorant and hateful. When they are as clueless as the rest of us are as to what happened and why. When the very Devs themselves don't know what happened or why and so I will say my theory of cultural differences influencing the outcome we see now are every bit as possible as your utopian dreams of bunnies and ponies make everyone happy theories of NCSoft just saving us from being sold to a meanie company who just wanted to make money.

The ridiculous amounts of hyperbole in the thread where you have someone who questions the motives of NCSoft and suddenly becomes evil is not the community I wish to be a member of. Good luck saving the game as the community appears to be already gone.

Arctic Force.

• Lieutenant
  • I am A Blaster.....Floors Fear Me!!
« Reply #458 on: January 16, 2013, 08:16:51 PM »
I do believe everyone is suffering from CoX Detox.
They closed the game, we want it back. Keep your eyes on the prize and stop trying to point fingers as to why. That does not matter anymore, what does matter is that we find a way to get CoX back.
One the biggest entertainment franchises was saved by a letter writing campaign. Now it has 4 spin-off tv shows an animated series, eleven movies plus 1 in the works, multiple games And pretty much started "Fan-Cons". Thanks Mr. Roddenberry  Earn free bitcoin

chasearcanum

• Boss
« Reply #459 on: January 16, 2013, 08:17:21 PM »
Ironwolf,  if my dialectizer joke fueled your reply, it wasn't intentionally calling you a redneck.   I just have fun with the site and "elmer fudd" didnt' make a very readable result).  As an american living in the rural pa, "rednecK" is pretty commonly used around here.