Author Topic: Asherons Call 2 Coming back. Never, EVER give up hope.  (Read 12411 times)

Randomvector

• Lieutenant
Asherons Call 2 Coming back. Never, EVER give up hope.
« on: December 13, 2012, 09:34:27 PM »
Asherons call which was closed in 2005 is returning.

What does this mean for us?

It measn there is ALWAYS hope.

Keep your spirits up.

Source:
http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12/13/turbine-brings-back-asherons-call-2/

Starsman

• Elite Boss
Re: Asherons Call 2 Coming back. Never, EVER give up hope.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 09:47:07 PM »
 :o
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

I'm signing off and taking a break, blindly hope things change.

PartyKake

• Minion
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 09:48:31 PM »
Grr! You beat me to the punch! Hang on I'll delete my thread and re-post it here.

------------\

massively.joystiq.com/2012/12/13/turbine-brings-back-asherons-call-2/

Granted it's not City of Heroes related PER SE, but I think we can all take a little time out of our day to offer some congratulations to a developer who made the fantastic leap to restore the existence of a game that was killed back in the day - there are quite a few AC2 players who will be very excited to hear this, and others who might need to get the word.

If City of Heroes is restored soon (as we all hope) I'd want to get the same treatment myself. So let's foster some good karma and channel some positive energy into the gaming community and spread the word that...

When a game company restores an MMO to working status they should be rewarded!

-----------------/

Okay now how do I delete a thread?

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 09:50:53 PM »
Think only way to delete your thread will be to "report" yourself and ask for a mod to remove it or lock it.
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 09:58:24 PM »
I think this goes without saying, but with the huge success Turbine had with F2P in Lord of The Rings Online and D&D Online, I figured this was something they should have aimed for next. It's an "easy" way to do many things at once:

• Please old fans
  • Add another MMO to their catalog
  • Profits!!!

My guess is it will be in beta for a while longer, tied in to AC1 for billing, and once they feel they got their toolset in place to update/maintain/expand the game they will get working on fremiunize the game. Once that is through they will relaunch as a full F2P title.

In the process, I think AC1 will see a spike in activations but drop in activity :P

Nafaustu

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 10:08:47 PM »
I was one of these players.   I -liked- AC2...it was soloable and the crafting was decent, if a bit grindy.   I might have to sprinkle this ressurection team with reward for good behaviour money.   I -like- voting with my wallet.

EDIT:
I found a link from AC2's closure, it struck a familiar cord.   I thought i'd share it with you all.
http://www.wired.com/gaming/gamingreviews/commentary/games/2005/12/69848?currentPage=all
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 10:21:37 PM by Nafaustu »

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 10:57:58 PM »
Woo! I recomend someone who feels like they have the time and knows AC2 and CoH go over to their community site once its all set up and welcome them into our movement.
Woo! - Argent Girl

Yoru-hime

• Minion
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 12:06:23 AM »
I saw this and assumed it was a badly mistimed April Fools Joke at first.

I'm actually subscribed to AC at the moment (I ran back to an old game rather than looking for a new one when the apocalypse hit), so I'll probably DL it and try it out. Haven't played since beta and I know a lot has changed.

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 04:04:39 AM »
Haven't played it, but I remember reading about the closure, a transcript of the final moments of the server. It made me feel sad, and dread the day it might happen to City of Heroes.

This is a very good omen! In fact, y'know what, folks...? We're gonna win this.  :D
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 04:22:21 AM by Colette »

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 05:50:56 AM »
Haven't played it, but I remember reading about the closure, a transcript of the final moments of the server. It made me feel sad, and dread the day it might happen to City of Heroes.

This is a very good omen! In fact, y'know what, folks...? We're gonna win this.  :D

Yip, if this is any indication, CoH should be back on track 7 years from now!  :P

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 06:37:31 AM »
I'll take that over "never."

Ice Knight

• Underling
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 10:00:17 PM »
I just got home from work saw the news about AC2 in my inbox, decided to stop lurking and make a post here and its already up.  So instead I will stop lurking and post anyway  :)  There is always hope, hopefully it wont be nearly as long for COH. 

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 10:19:28 PM »
This is awesome news. I'm going to reach out to the publisher and the community and express my well wishes.

(and maybe slip a little #SaveCoH stuff in there somewhere... of course...)

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 10:27:34 PM »
Cool stuff. That goes to show, even after 7 going on 8 years, never give p hope. Stick it out through thick and thin and we'll get there. This is not going to be a sprint but an endurance race, or not even a race per se for that matter. No matter how long it takes, cross that finish line and it will be well worth it. The greatest form of defeat is quitting.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 10:30:45 PM »
Meanwhile, I think it would be a worthy investment of whatever their monthly subscription fee is for Save CoHers to subscribe to the first month of AC2, and log in to congratulate the dedicated fans thereof and help them have as wonderful an experience as the CoH community was for us. Be supportive, be friendly, and above all, let the people running that game know how much we appreciate this sign of hope that an MMO can be revived.

Des_Tructive

• Lieutenant
  • SLAP!
    • Meta - Superhuman Covert Ops (german)
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2012, 12:25:27 PM »
I was even thinking of paying the subscription fee for one month and not even logging in. I'm sure there's some sort of feedback form that allows us to explain why we did it.
CoX: @DeS Tructive
TSW: BloodyCarrie; HrFaust; TheContact

Lucretia MacEvil

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2012, 04:42:58 PM »
Yip, if this is any indication, CoH should be back on track 7 years from now!  :P

And I will most definitely be there!

So let's foster some good karma and channel some positive energy into the gaming community and spread the word that...

When a game company restores an MMO to working status they should be rewarded!

Definitely.
And by that I mean both "we should spread the word" and "we should help reward this company".

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2012, 04:32:14 PM »
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2012, 08:19:53 PM »
This is completely different.  The company that owned and closed down AC2 is opening it back up again but only to players who are subscribing to AC.

How many of you diehards who want "To crush NCSoft, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their stockholders" would return to CoH if they reopen it but only to subscribers of say Blade & Soul?  Any of you?  Of course not, the hate is too strong in all of you.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Yoru-hime

• Minion
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2012, 09:04:46 PM »
My dislike of NCSoft is based entirely on their business practices. If those change to the point that they'd reactivate CoH, why wouldn't I reconsider my position?

I deem your scenario very unlikely, of course, and really supporting AC2 does more to show other investors that the CoH IP still has value, but if there was a major shakeup at NCSoft and an effort was made to correct past mistakes, I'd at least be listening.

Sorry, you're clearly spoiling for a fight, but maybe not everyone is as unreasonable as you seem to think.

Moving the thread back on topic:

Does anyone who has ever played this game know of a good site for information on it? I'm hopelessly lost without a decent wiki.