Author Topic: In Game Advertisements  (Read 22664 times)

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
Re: In Game Advertisements
« Reply #80 on: September 24, 2012, 12:50:15 PM »
Mild quibble I only bring up because it's caused me to have to double-take a few times:

"add" means to do addition, as in mathematics. Or to "add something on" to something else.

The word we're trying to use here is "ad," which is short for "advertisement."

QuantumHero

• Elite Boss
« Reply #81 on: September 24, 2012, 02:03:40 PM »
Segev is correct the shortened form of advertising should be Ad.  Why was I just repeatedly guilty of usng the mathematical term...not the foggiest clue.  We don't actually use the term much in my branch of the industry ;) but I still know better...just not concentrating on that aspect I guess
If given two roads that lead no where good...stop using roads and carve your own path.

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #82 on: September 24, 2012, 04:01:02 PM »
Why was I just repeatedly guilty of usng the mathematical term...not the foggiest clue.

I suspect many of us can instinctively type something likes "Adds!" very quickly.
@Vulpy
Protector Server

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #83 on: September 24, 2012, 04:10:35 PM »
Is it bad that I forget that is a meaningful one-liner in MMOs? ^^;

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #84 on: September 24, 2012, 04:17:13 PM »
...this gives me another thought. What if in-game ads could be clicked on for in-game adds, paid for as part of the sponsorship by the client? Maybe a shoe ad would give a speed buff when clicked on, or a food ad would give some minor healing.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #85 on: September 24, 2012, 06:10:39 PM »
...this gives me another thought. What if in-game ads could be clicked on for in-game adds, paid for as part of the sponsorship by the client? Maybe a shoe ad would give a speed buff when clicked on, or a food ad would give some minor healing.
Just FYI, buffs are not adds. Adds are additional enemies that are either accidentally drawn into aggro or scripted to be drawn into aggro.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #86 on: September 24, 2012, 06:12:45 PM »
Oh. ^^;

Well, then, my mistake. Sorry for showing my lack-of-knowledge so flagrantly.

Because I like the pun, is there a way to keep the concept of "ads giving adds" without making it something players view as a negative?

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #87 on: September 24, 2012, 06:14:29 PM »
Not really. Adds has a specific meaning and is specifically attached to additional enemies.

You can call them "click buffs" though, we already have that term and it's basically the same thing with a different mechanic behind it.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #88 on: September 24, 2012, 06:19:37 PM »
"Click buffs" from ads are a good idea, I think (and I hope I'm not just tooting my own horn).

I know people will deliberately crank up difficulties in missions in order to get increased exp. (In fact, one of the last things that made me quit playing was one too many groups who couldn't cooperate properly but insisted on maxed-out difficulties...resulting in repeated party wipes. This isn't why I really never returned; I just am not a big MMO guy. CoV has kudos for being the one MMO I kept playing into the teen levels.)

To the point, though: what if some missions had optional difficulty enhancement by clicking on the ad associated with it? It literally adds adds to the fight, possibly with some useful and appropriate Salvage for beating them. But is purely optional; you don't HAVE to click on it. (Probably should have clear markers of what ads are buff ads and which are add ads.)

Ixontes

• Underling
« Reply #89 on: September 24, 2012, 06:19:50 PM »
I think it would be an awesome idea! Make the stores actual stores! If I saw a Pizza Hut or something, I may order a pizza while playing.

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #90 on: September 24, 2012, 06:20:27 PM »
Not really. Adds has a specific meaning and is specifically attached to additional enemies.

You can call them "click buffs" though, we already have that term and it's basically the same thing with a different mechanic behind it.

Makes you wonder if the screens on Rikti portal devices have pop-up commercials, forcing Comm Officers to click ads for their adds...  ;D

QuantumHero

• Elite Boss
« Reply #91 on: September 24, 2012, 06:21:12 PM »

And yet another wonderful thinking outside the box idea from segev  :P

Carefully sneaking over to plug his entire brain into my little idea file...bwaaahha  ;)

Company mascot arena matches sound kinda fun....how about vanity pets from some of the more interesting mascots out there.

Tony the Tiger, Mr. Clean, Chester Cheetah, Toucan Sam, peanut m &m, an animated can of mountain dew, or living pizza box...I would laugh at what this community would do with silly and adorable tag alongs like those.

You could earn these pets with in game missions or clicks, purchase them outright, or else by turnin in real life game codes of some kind. 

Keep the ideas comming
If given two roads that lead no where good...stop using roads and carve your own path.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #92 on: September 24, 2012, 06:34:34 PM »
And yet another wonderful thinking outside the box idea from segev  :P

Carefully sneaking over to plug his entire brain into my little idea file...bwaaahha  ;)
*Assimilating additional resources... Expanding neural net.... Assuming direct control!*

Er, um, I mean, Thanks! ^_^
Makes you wonder if the screens on Rikti portal devices have pop-up commercials, forcing Comm Officers to click ads for their adds...  ;D

Company mascot arena matches sound kinda fun....how about vanity pets from some of the more interesting mascots out there.
Arenas with sponsors...and the ability to gain control of sponsor locations to put adds on the field against your opponents? Keep this strictly in an "arena match" type surrounding, rather than making it a part of missions; don't want to get too obnoxious with it in places where the "wow, that's amusing and fun" would clash with the verisimilitude.

Tony the Tiger, Mr. Clean, Chester Cheetah, Toucan Sam, peanut m &m, an animated can of mountain dew, or living pizza box...I would laugh at what this community would do with silly and adorable tag alongs like those.

You could earn these pets with in game missions or clicks, purchase them outright, or else by turnin in real life game codes of some kind. 

Keep the ideas comming
We'd need to be mildly careful with permitting them to be obtainable pets. This is where the advertisers would probably have a feeling that they should have "creative control" levers, and we want to minimize the justified desire for that. I say this because, when their mascots are out there under player control, they will be very concerned that their mascots are not being used in some way that reflects "negatively" (as they see it based on their own desired image) on their company.

For instance, PepsiCo. might object fiercely to somebody making a "hero" or "villain" called "The Diabetic" that was made as slovenly and unattractive and as close to overweight as possible that had the Mountain Dew Can pet cheerfully following him around. (We avoid some of this by not having it possible to make The Blob with the CoH hero generator, but...you see where this could be a problem, I hope.)

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #93 on: September 25, 2012, 09:19:59 PM »
Another thought for something that could work as an in-game "store" type thing:

Movie theaters. (Yes, I just suggested somebody see if they could make a mock-up of one in the base-building contest thread; this is why.) As an example of how to do it without risking "I'll just record the movie with my game-recording software," it could interface with Netflix software. Players could either pay-per-movie from Netflix (or a proprietary) database, or use their Netflix (or proprietary) account to access the menu. Options to have your hero or party silhouetted, MST3k style, or have them not visible would be available, depending on how you want your movie-going experience to play out.

In-game movie theater screens could play actual movie trailers, or the like. There's no risk of those being recorded in a way that would be copyright-violating; the whole point of trailers is for people to see them.

Liz_Bathory

• Underling
« Reply #94 on: September 25, 2012, 09:33:54 PM »
Always liked this idea...

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #95 on: September 25, 2012, 09:43:56 PM »
Honestly, I think what I'm proposing is transforming into creating a possibility for entire civilian life in the CoH zones. Put your hero in civvies, and he can go shopping for books, catch a movie, hang out in the mall with some friends...and advertisers are paying CoH for the privilege of having things he's using be there to use.

You want more, deeper role-play possibilities? "Secret Identity" missions where the plot of the mission revolves around aspects of daily life, made larger-than-life by the need to hide your powers or the ability to turn your powers towards their resolution. For villains, have some Task Force that has a side-mission when you "die" and wind up at the hospital: you were arrested, and now you have to break out or farce your way through a trial to "prove your innocence."

Obviously not something you'll want to do every time you die, but it could be interesting every once in a while, especially if it's a random rota. As a hero, you might even need to do some "secret identity" missions that build your secret identity's persona in the setting, getting a job and the like. Said jobs determine which "lifestyle"-related missions you can take later on. The "lawyer" job might let you prosecute (or even, perversely, have to defend) a supervillain. The "waitress" one might have you fighting Vazhilock's (sorry if that's misspelled) efforts to introduce an experimental mutagen into your restaurant's food supply. That sort of thing.

Sponsors could even ask to pay to be the company that's the "victim" or otherwise plays a prominent role; they'd have to agree to take the risks associated with marketing campaigns that put them in the line of fire of supers, but many would likely still leap at the opportunity.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #96 on: September 25, 2012, 09:46:38 PM »
Sponsors could even ask to pay to be the company that's the "victim" or otherwise plays a prominent role; they'd have to agree to take the risks associated with marketing campaigns that put them in the line of fire of supers, but many would likely still leap at the opportunity.

If Pizza Hut was cool with having ads on the TMNT films, I don't see why this wouldn't work.

Easy on the mascot thing though. While I don't mind when I see players doing homage characters, the idea of actual Tony the Tiger pets would somehow terribly kill the immersion for me.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #97 on: September 25, 2012, 09:49:38 PM »
If Pizza Hut was cool with having ads on the TMNT films, I don't see why this wouldn't work.
Sure, but you'd have to be careful to keep all parties aware at all times. If Pizza Hut were sponsoring the "waitress fights the mutagen in the food" mission, they might be leery of the visual of their food making people sick and turning them into monsters, even if it wasn't actually Pizza Hut's fault.

By the same token, they might be fine with it if their food were depicted giving them super-powers, even if they also went nuts and turned evil. After all, super-powers are cool. And the reward from that mission could be a limited-use "infected pizza" that somehow doesn't make your hero go crazy, just gives a brief super-transformation. But it only has a few slices...

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #98 on: September 25, 2012, 09:54:03 PM »
Sponsored temp power items ala Popeye spinach?

Random example: A shot of Redbull to reduce recharge time on powers.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #99 on: September 25, 2012, 09:55:50 PM »
Pretty much. I would generally suggest that it should be something that comes as part of the standard "sponsor a mission" package, because we don't want it to replace standard inspirations. And "having to earn" the sponsored reward will actually make the advertisement slightly more effective by making it more memorable, which will in turn make the experience of "earning" it more fun for the player and make it more desirable as a marketing device to the paying purveyor. Win-win all around.