Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7308393 times)

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #7180 on: July 23, 2014, 03:45:44 AM »

Saw this in real life one time.  Had to get a picture.  Tried to get a badge.  :(

DocHornet

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7181 on: July 23, 2014, 04:42:20 AM »
Saw this in real life one time.  Had to get a picture.  Tried to get a badge.  :(

Heh!  Reminds me of Vernal, Utah -- home of Dinosaur National Monument and likely the world capital of fiberglass fake dinosaurs. :)

Neutrio

• Minion
  • Omega neutrinos! Defend us!
    • Heroes Inc
« Reply #7182 on: July 23, 2014, 04:45:06 AM »

Awesome! ... just ... oh Croatoa & Sally (I guess even you Jack & Eochai) are missed ... /e awards_Tibbius_a_Subway_Sally_badge

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
  • Keeper of the Sacred Number
« Reply #7183 on: July 23, 2014, 05:13:04 AM »
Power customization was not limited to recoloring. It also included (later on) granting a number of powers alternate animations: Various blasts could be configured to allow a one hand or two hand attack animation, several martial arts powers had the option to display as either a punch or kick, etc.
The key word there is alternate.  It did not in anyway alter the existing animations, merely called up other existing animations and told the game to use those instead.

I'm not entirely sure of the source of this line of discussion since I haven't visited the thread in a while, but thought making that clear could possibly figure in.

As always, carry on with your speculations.  However, I think the dude you quoted may likely have the right idea in that altering the game or adding anything may likely be somewhere between difficult and full on impossible.

Everfreefire

• Boss
« Reply #7184 on: July 23, 2014, 05:13:25 AM »
That looks familiar...

The Wisconsin Dells, maybe?
/em raises a glass. "Next year in the Ski Chalet!"
"Scrappers might not exist any more, but scrapperlock is forever."   -Kaiser Tarantula

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7185 on: July 23, 2014, 05:15:00 AM »
{Image}
Wow, your character names sure are... ummm... one-dimensional?

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7186 on: July 23, 2014, 05:16:51 AM »
That looks familiar...

The Wisconsin Dells, maybe?
I don't think the Dino in the Dells was quite that big.  One of our first family vacations was to there when I was maybe 5 and we have a photo of me in front of it.  He didn't tower over building IIRC.

Edit:  So I looked it up, there is a way bigger one there than I remember.  The one I recall was way smaller than the one I just saw a picture of!

DocHornet

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7187 on: July 23, 2014, 05:30:18 AM »
Sinclair Dinosaur at Wisconsin Dells:  http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/26861  :)

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7188 on: July 23, 2014, 05:36:01 AM »
I don't think the Dino in the Dells was quite that big.  One of our first family vacations was to there when I was maybe 5 and we have a photo of me in front of it.  He didn't tower over building IIRC.

Edit:  So I looked it up, there is a way bigger one there than I remember.  The one I recall was way smaller than the one I just saw a picture of!
Every Sinclair gas station had (and some of the buyouts still have) a smaller one maybe as tall as a horse. That might be what you have a picture of.

Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Everfreefire

• Boss
« Reply #7189 on: July 23, 2014, 05:37:31 AM »
Ah ha! I have been there. We stayed at a place near that when the family visited the Dells.
/em raises a glass. "Next year in the Ski Chalet!"
"Scrappers might not exist any more, but scrapperlock is forever."   -Kaiser Tarantula

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7190 on: July 23, 2014, 06:05:48 AM »
Every Sinclair gas station had (and some of the buyouts still have) a smaller one maybe as tall as a horse. That might be what you have a picture of.
Yep, that'd be the one!

Serpine

• Biting Commentarian
  • Boss
  • Telegram force and ready
« Reply #7191 on: July 23, 2014, 06:09:59 AM »
The key word there is alternate.  It did not in anyway alter the existing animations, merely called up other existing animations and told the game to use those instead.
I'm not entirely sure of the source of this line of discussion since I haven't visited the thread in a while, but thought making that clear could possibly figure in.
As always, carry on with your speculations.  However, I think the dude you quoted may likely have the right idea in that altering the game or adding anything may likely be somewhere between difficult and full on impossible.
The discussion was about newly created powers potentially using animations from existing powers (an option brought up specifically to avoid having to build new/alter existing animations). I was mainly arguing against some notions brought up that were based on the idea that powers have a single baked in animation. If animations are selectable, even from options specifically intended for a power, then it isn't baked in unless the engine is literally giving you a different copy of the power (and transferring enhancements to it) every time you change animation selection. More likely it is just setting a field that says which of the animations designed for the power are to be used, which makes it conceivably possible that a different power could be pointed to the same animation.

As to the challenge / efficiency of actually doing such things, it very well may be outside the options available to the new team. I certainly would not argue that point... though I'd love a chance to see where on the continuum of difficult through impossible such an operation actually falls. :)
Guns don't kill people, meerkats do.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #7192 on: July 23, 2014, 06:37:04 AM »
Pointless argument is pointless.  Ironwolf has already said, many many times, that the focus is on getting i24 back online and in maintenance mode (which means NO new development), and then start work on CoH2.

So anyone arguing for new powersets might as well be peeing into the wind.  All that gets you is wet legs.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7193 on: July 23, 2014, 06:50:24 AM »
One thing i'm missing now, the badges, how they were so...consistent.

When you got to a badge location you weren't subject to an RNG role as to whether you got anything.  I was trying to get collectables for a set in DCUO and holy cow is it a horrible, un-fun and tedious, hate filling grind.  I am trying to get the kryptonite samples and the stupid nodes just don't drop the damn things, theres no consistency with it.  I know where to look and got half the bloody things so far, but I feel some @#$@#%^ is camping in the area with a node scanner, and sucking them up before I ever get them to begin with.  It's not fun, at all.  In two hours, two nodes that gave me peices I needed hadnt respawned, I'm betting reality is someone took them as I was away each time they had respawned.

Badges in CoX were so consistent, "Want the badge?  Just go find it, ok you found it, there!".  You didn't automatically get them and the game didn't just tell you where but once you found it, you were done looking.  DCUO, the stupid collectables get complaints for far to many of the wrong reasons, I miss CoX so much.

(If your wondering, yes, playing DCUO over CO, cause i'm bored of CO, at least DCUO gets some things here and there).
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Apex Viper

• Minion
« Reply #7194 on: July 23, 2014, 06:52:59 AM »
So anyone arguing for new powersets might as well be peeing into the wind.  All that gets you is wet legs.

hahaha i thought i was the only one who said that.
In the end, we all are heroes, even the Villains; fighting to save a city that we all love.

Serpine

• Biting Commentarian
  • Boss
  • Telegram force and ready
« Reply #7195 on: July 23, 2014, 06:57:45 AM »
Pointless argument is pointless.
Pointlessness is in the eye of the beholder. I find the discussion of such topics to be far more stimulating (and slightly more relevant) then, for example, posts about the merits of pastry.
Guns don't kill people, meerkats do.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #7196 on: July 23, 2014, 07:03:36 AM »
(If your wondering, yes, playing DCUO over CO, cause i'm bored of CO, at least DCUO gets some things here and there).

So am I.  Man, I love the flight animation and banking... We had that once, too... In Issue 8 beta... it got pulled and then forgotten about. :(

Something else for the CoH2 wishlist!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 07:12:35 AM by FloatingFatMan »

kiario

• Boss
  • CoH Fanboy
« Reply #7197 on: July 23, 2014, 07:32:45 AM »
So let's say everythiing goes the way we'd want, and a deal is made and the New Devs get the property by the end of August.

Assuming that NcSoft isn't able to cough up a working copy of the game and the New Devs only get a disk image of the game, the snapshot, how long would it take them to make a working copy of the game out of that?

Would it be plausible to have something up and running in six months? A year? Somewhere in between or maybe longer?

I'm just curious. :D

I would say a few months. Perhaps an image can be run very quickly. It would be in the highest interest of the new owners to get it running as quickly as possible and make money on it.

Ouul

• Minion
« Reply #7198 on: July 23, 2014, 07:40:54 AM »
I'm being patient but...

Are we there yet?

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #7199 on: July 23, 2014, 07:56:27 AM »
There needs to be some obnoxiously hard to get, time consuming badge in CoH2 named "Are we there yet?"
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com