Author Topic: TF Hail Mary Package Idea Hub  (Read 5059 times)

Quinch

TF Hail Mary Package Idea Hub
« on: November 26, 2012, 06:16:48 PM »
Hey everyone. Since the main thrust of the campaign will be with petitioning Disney, I thought it would be a good idea to have a spot to exchange ideas as to what to put into those messages. I'll also be editing the OP as new ideas arise, so keep your eyes open for changes - I'll try to make them stand out as they're added for convenience.

Here's some guidelines to start with. Not that you have to stick to'em, just treat them as suggestions - what matters here most of all is honesty.

First, it's personal. Not in the knuckle-cracking "now it's personal" kind of way, but I'm pretty sure that nobody came here because they didn't care about what the game means to us. That's why I'm not going to offer any templates - instead, even if you don't think you're very good at expressing yourself, try to explain why CoH meant to you as much as it did. The initial pitch was meticulously spit-and-polished and {though I might be wrong} sincerity, even rough, might serve us best in driving home the message that while we're all driven by the same purpose towards the same goal, we're doing so as impassioned, independent individuals.

Second, remember to tag your packages with a "SaveCoH" note. Yes, saving CoH is important to us, and yes, we want to make it important to Disney too. That doesn't mean we should come off as overbearing, or even overly demanding. So, while we can't avoid piling extra work onto the mailroom, the least we can do is minimize the collateral damage.

Third, if you can't afford to send a physical letter, I think our best online-only vector is the company's contact page. Like the packages, I would suggest prefacing it with "#savecoh" for easier classification and sorting. Addendum - Altoholic Monkey is offering to act as a relay for those who can't afford cross-continental postage.

Supplementary material:
One thing I can think of is hard copies of character screenshots, or links to YouTube videos, preferably with a short bio written on the back - it would help show just the kind of variety the game allows for, and the kind of creativity it bred in its players.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 07:27:11 PM by Quinch »

Jordan_Lee

• Lieutenant
Re: TF Hail Mary Package Idea Hub
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 06:24:06 PM »

Third, if you can't afford to send a physical letter, I think our best online-only vector is the company's contact page. Like the packages, I would suggest prefacing it with "#savecoh" for easier classification and sorting.

Can I suggest starting a buddy system for those that can't send physical letters? If they live out of the country or for some reason cannot afford $4 worth of stamps, that someone who is sending their letters can print out their letters and include them in the same envelope?

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 06:28:38 PM »
When talking about the community, maybe we should try and bring up Real World Hero as an example of stuff we do?
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Ammon

• Team Wildcard
  • Boss
  • UK marketing guy and City of Heroes addict
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 06:44:59 PM »
Third, if you can't afford to send a physical letter, I think our best online-only vector is the company's contact page. Like the packages, I would suggest prefacing it with "#savecoh" for easier classification and sorting.
I responded elsewhere about sending emails, but it bears repeating.
You can, but don't make the mistake of thinking it is the same.

The whole point here is showing commitment.  Anyone can spend 2 seconds to click a petition, or 30 seconds to write a post, or a minute to write an email.  Sending the mails, in the post, is different, and just as important and meaningful as sending that carefully crafted 31 page pitch document was.  It shows that someone was committed enough to commit it to paper, invest in envelope and stamps, and put it into the mail.  In other words, it shows that you are serious about wanting to continue to be a consumer of CoH.  It shows that CoH has a large, passionate, eager market just begging to be served.

If you have a real problem with postage, (and reading around I see that many of those letters already written today came from Europe), refer to Altaholic Monkey's very generous offer to print out your letter and post it for you.  But please, if you can, put in the investment yourself.  That international postage with its post marks is part of what shows Disney just how committed we are, how serious we are about being prepared to spend money, and how much they'd love to have us as their commited loyal customers.

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 07:04:05 PM »
As somebody who has had a long history with customer service/business relations, a few quick words that will help get the most favorable response.

1. Short-- our friend here is volume of letters not length of letters. Take all of the time you need to explain your case but try not to turn it into a manifesto. If you can keep it to 1-3 pages, that should be good.

2. Polite-- We're asking these people to do us a MAJOR favor. Sure we're trying to convince them it's in their best interests as well, but right now we have to get them on our side.

3. Typewritten-- If you have really good handwriting, by all means feel free to write your letters longhand. It shows a level of committment to your cause. If, however you are handwriting challenged (like myself) then please let the word processor do the work. Nothing gets a letter tosses into the circular file faster than being completely incomprehensible.

4. Thanks-- Be sure to thank them for their time and attention. If we do this correctly, we're going to be making a big dent in their schedule.

5. Personal-- the best way to show that this is 'you' talking is to keep the letter personal. Phrases like I think, I feel, I Believe show that you haven't just copy/pasted a form letter.

6. Swift-- we need a shock and awe level of letters to show just how determined we are. One or two trickling in over a week or two just screams 'meh'.

just a few thoughts here. remember, We are Heroes... this is what we do.

edit: Another thought occurs to me. Remember that Disney is a family friendly company. Using a line or two to explain just how much the game means to your family might (might) be a nudge in the right direction. In my own letter I complare CoH to Star Wars and PoTC in regards to the family friendly angle.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 07:12:51 PM by JWBullfrog »
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Quinch

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 07:08:29 PM »
When talking about the community, maybe we should try and bring up Real World Hero as an example of stuff we do?

It's been brought up in the pitch, but if you personally contributed to the charity drives, it's always a good point to bring up.

Altoholic Monkey

• Lieutenant
    • Repeat Offenders Network - Making the stupidly difficult easy since 2005
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 07:21:00 PM »
I'll just repost my own offer again.  If you live outside of the United States or you simply cannot afford to send a letter and you're inside of the US (either case doesn't matter to me)

I live in Los Angeles, very close to Burbank. Mailing something to them would cost me very little and it would most certainly arrive in 1 day.  So that would be overnight service for the cost of 1st Class postage :)

Please feel free to send me your letters via email: altoholic.monkey@gmail.com and I'll be happy to print them out and mail them in blue or red envelopes.

Also if there any concerns, such as who is this Alty Monkey person and what's she like anyway?...I'll be happy to share my full name and POB with those who want to use my mail by proxy offer.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 07:26:45 PM by Altoholic Monkey »

QuantumHero

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 07:25:22 PM »
Um some of you know I write original songs...it has been suggested that I send either one of the exiting ones about coh or a new one to disney...how would I realistically send it and to who?  It has been suggested I might be able to get one of my simple sweet little efforts caught in the right person's head ... ;)  But first they would have to hear it.

Thoughts?
If given two roads that lead no where good...stop using roads and carve your own path.

Quinch

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 07:28:07 PM »
Record it, upload it, send a link? It's all I can think of.

World's getting blurry. Time to pass out.

QuantumHero

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 07:44:58 PM »
http://www.fragglerockforever.com/CoX/WeAreHeroes.mp3
This is the main one that is already online ...I'm playing with a new one that begins "we are heroes, searching for a home, a world filled with dreamers..."
If given two roads that lead no where good...stop using roads and carve your own path.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 08:47:23 PM »
Wait! Alty Monkey is a girl? I am getting worse and worse at this...

Seriously, I'll be starting with the Interactive division, but that's a prioritization of time, more than anything. I will be stressing the family aspect, as I had just set my ten year old son up with an account, this summer. Aside from gifting my teenager a WoW account a couple of years ago (which was so he could play with his friends; he didn't stick with it), this is the only MMO I've spent money on, and I was about to add a second paid subscription for the younger boy when Black Friday hit.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 08:51:59 PM »
Something that came to me while I was writing my letter- I basically ended it with "We are Heroes, this is what we do. We are Parents, this is what we do. We are Children, this is what we do. We are Families, this is what we do."  A lot of my letter was about my daughter and I playing the game together.  Anyway, I thought that maybe other people might want to put something similar. Take our tag line, and turn it into something that would be appealing to Disney.

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 09:35:39 PM »
Wait! Alty Monkey is a girl? I am getting worse and worse at this...

I thought she was a guy, too. I have no idea why. Sorry Monkey!
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

Altoholic Monkey

• Lieutenant
    • Repeat Offenders Network - Making the stupidly difficult easy since 2005
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 09:48:39 PM »
No worries I get gender mixed up all the time. I don't have an easy gender identifiable name. And my avatar was always just Inspirations on the Cox forum. I'm a bit seasoned to be a girl though...
I think being 40 means I get to be called a woman now... LOL

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 11:13:24 PM »
No worries I get gender mixed up all the time. I don't have an easy gender identifiable name. And my avatar was always just Inspirations on the Cox forum. I'm a bit seasoned to be a girl though...
I think being 40 means I get to be called a woman now... LOL

OMG! Like, a gamer girl woman that's, like, my age, like, in my neck of the woods?!? Why haven't I heard about this before now?   ???
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Ammon

• Team Wildcard
  • Boss
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 12:04:48 AM »
One of the most frequent questions I'm seeing around is:

Disney own Marvel, why would they want CoH?

Well, most corporations buy multiple companies in the same 'vertical' (market) because that way, they can be their own competition, so when one of their properties/companies doesn't get the deal, another one they own probably does.  It allows you to re-target your marketing so that for people to whom one of your businesses wasn't appealing, or a match, you have another bite of the cherry, with something aimed at another demographic.

Here in the UK, most of the big department stores, and clothing stores are owned by one of three corporations.  I mean that between those three, they own about 80% of that style of store in every high street. 

To give a better example though, let me tell you about 2 of the Dixon group of electronic stores, Dixons and Currys.  The weird thing about these two is that they were owned by the same corporation, yet the stores would almost always be placed within 50 yards of each other, frequently right across the street, or just a couple of doors along.  I mean they went way out of their way to deliberately make these stores compete with each other.  Do you know why?

Its because consumer electronics are a market where people always want to look around, shop around, and compare prices.  There was never any doubt that the customers were going to look at more than one store, ever.  What the Dixons group were doing was brilliant.  They were making it so easy to shop around and compare both of their stores together, that you may well not bother at all looking at a third store several blocks away.  But you would always go to where you could so easily compare 2 stores in one go.

Marvel is never going to appeal to everyone.  One of the major limitations with Marvel is that its lore is so well known, so studied, and so passionately cared about that it just can't be opened to everyone to re-write.  Marvel can never let you kill off Spiderman, nor let you write a history for your character that impacts on one of their icons that is worth billions in film and publishing to them.  So, with Marvel you always have to either play their characters in their way, fixed to their story ... or you have to be some character so insignificant to the actual lore of Marvel that you won't change anything.  Like how DCUO makes you a sidekick to the iconic characters, but ultimately rather impotent to the story/setting.

CoH doesn't have that limitation, and indeed, killing off Statesman was a brilliant message that your character can be the ultimate hero, or ultimate nemesis.  You can prove to Recluse that you can kill him, and you can out-live Statesman, becoming the leading character of your own version of the world.  That is phenomenal, and we know it.

People who don't like Marvel charcaters, lore, or simply dislike being so limited by existing lore, currently go to a competitor of Disney.  By buying up CoH, Disney can effectively own the entire spectrum of superhero gaming other than the most ardent DC fans.  The fact they own Marvel is not a flaw in our plan, its the added strength to it.  It actually makes more sense to buy CoH because they already own Marvel.

Ammon

• Team Wildcard
  • Boss
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 02:46:12 AM »
About the dixons/Currys thing... they are both still owned by the DSG group, along with PC world.

But the thing is that at the *start* they did have different markets. Currys was the "White goods" side of the company, Dixons was the TV/Electrical side, and PC World was self explanatory.
I didn't know that about at the start them having different markets.  I'm only going back as far as from the 1970's and the transistor age, when both sold stereos and Hi-fi stuff for the mass market. :)

You aren't thinking of Comet are you?  They started off as white goods only.  I'm not old enough to remember when Curry's didn't sell AV stuff, and I'm sure I'm older than you are, more's the pity. :)

Point remains the same.  I could mention all the different 'Makes' of car that are really the same few manufacturers.  Often a corporation creates or aquires multiple companies to attack different demographics of the same basic market.  Perhaps the most perfect example then is JVC and Panasonic.  Not only are these 2 rival companies actually parts of the same corporation, but they even share many of the same exact components, and designs, where JVC gets the 'higher grade' versions of components, and Panasonic is basically a cheap version of JVC stuff.

Basically, owning many different companies in the same market is an advantage.  So much so that if you go too far, you risk being accused of having a monopoly.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2012, 03:13:36 AM »
Another reason why Disney would want CoH when they already own Marvel is that the Marvel games are nothing like CoH, though they are all superhero MMOs.

Marvel Heroes and Marvel Arena are both based on the Diablo engine, optimized for solo and PvP.  Marvel Heroes and Marvel Arena do not allow you to create your own character--you must use one of the pregenerated signature Marvel characters.  Marvel Arena is strictly PvP/Arcade-style combat in an arena setting.

Neither game has the library of missions, lore, and settings that CoH has.  Neither are particularly good for slowl leisurely playing.  Neither game allows you to create your own character, in a character generator that permits you to create something absolutely unique, so much so that we actually hold costume contests.  Neither game allows you to create your own missions and mission arcs.  I don't *think* either game allows you to pick and customize your powers--you get what the signature character gets, and that's that. 

By having all three games, Disney would cover every style of MMO under a single umbrella.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Quinch

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 04:12:46 AM »
Hey guys, I hate to be a buzzkill, but can we rerail this thread?

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2012, 04:18:49 AM »
Hey guys, I hate to be a buzzkill, but can we rerail this thread?

What? Have you forgotten the first law of Paragon forums already?

"Any thread can and will be derailed at the first possible opportunity."
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.