Author Topic: Recipe sharing  (Read 8997 times)

Merseine

• Boss
Recipe sharing
« on: September 25, 2013, 12:16:01 AM »
This thread is not my fault. Really. I blame it all on Crymsin Lilly and Healix.  Well, mostly Healix.

You see, Crymsin Lilly started a thread called "Sad Anniversary" (http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,9137.msg130588.html#msg130588 and during the discussion, Healix passed around cookies and milk to everyone. 

See for yourself.
*passes around warm cookies and cold milk*

*Drool* is the only appropriate response (unless you're lactose intolerant or diabetic...we understand and Healix stepped up and took care of those folks too). 

When that picture hit the screen, Crymsin Lilly said:
(snip)

And omg those cookies!  Or are they some kind of mutant cupcake?  All I know is that I need the recipe.  *drools*

(snip)

So I searched this forum for any recipe sharing threads.  And you know what, with this post, I've tripled the occurrence of the word "recipe" (and now quadrupled) on this site.  That word hadn't even been here before Crymsin Lilly saw Healix's cookies. 

That last bit just sounds wrong....

...ah well, going on.

SO - here's a new thread. We'll see how well it goes.  Here's the rules.

If you so wish, share your recipes.
If you see one you like, feel free to copy it to your own electronic storage (I swear by the program "Living Cookbook" but that's another story for another time.)
If you take one, please share one.  (but if you don't have one, just say thanks and post pics of your creation if you can)

Easy, huh?

Oh, and I'm sure discussion of the posted recipes and such will happen and that's all to the good.  Tweaks, additions, suggestions...go for it.

Sound good?

/em holdtorch

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
Re: Recipe sharing
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 03:02:29 PM »

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 03:21:44 PM »
I'll have to dig out the recipe I use for Gen. Tso's chicken later today.  It's based on a recipe I found on AllRecipes, but I modified it a bit to better suit my own tastes.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 05:05:25 PM »
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 12:41:30 AM »
All right, I'm a day later than I thought I'd be, but here we go.

In case anyone else wants to play around with it, I started with two recipes (1)(2) and sort of mixed and matched the parts I liked best from each.  Then I modified a few of the ingredients and added some other vegetable options based on previous cooking experiments.

Now, I generally tend not to fry much and I usually reduce or just leave most oil out of the foods I make, so to begin with, I don't actually bread or deep fry the chicken I use in the recipe.  That being said, if you want to do so, the original recipes have that covered.  The chicken tastes just fine all by itself in the sauce, though.

Ingredients in bold are deviations from the original recipes.

2 tablespoons sunflower oil
2 teaspoons hot chili sesame oil
2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup dry sherry
2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons minced garlic
6 dried whole red chilies, or to taste - alternately, red pepper flakes or cayenne
2 tablespoons ginger, or to taste (fresh usually goes to waste in my fridge, so I usually just use dried powder)
cornstarch (see below)
fresh ground pepper (just a dusting, not much)
chopped green onions*
baby carrots (sliced or whole)*
broccoli florets*
snow peas*

Directions

Heat oils in a large saucepan or wok to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

Carefully drop the pieces of chicken into the hot oil one by one, cooking until the chicken turns golden brown, about 3 minutes.

As the chicken cooks, combine the sugar, vinegar, sherry, soy sauce, garlic, dried chilies, ginger, and (optional) ground pepper with the chicken.  Stir constantly until the sugar has dissolved and the sauce thickens to the consistency of light pancake syrup (about 3 minutes).  Cooking the sauce in the same pan as the chicken will allow the chicken to soak up some of the sauce.

As the chicken nears completion, add vegetables to the pan/wok.  Continue cooking until onions begin to turn translucent.  (You sort of have to use your best judgement on when to add the vegetables.  If you're cooking in a wok, this is easier since you can move anything that finishes early to the outside and keep the part that still needs to continue cooking in the center.) 

Assuming the sauce is pretty much a thin liquid at this point, mix some cornstarch and water in bowl, cup, whatever - just not directly in the pan.  Once the cornstarch mixture is smooth, slowly stir it into the sauce in the pan.  Add a little at a time and stir in completely.  If the sauce is still liquid, add a bit more.  The sauce should be ready when it begins to cling to the chicken and vegetables.

Remove from heat.

I usually serve this either with steamed or fried rice (with more veggies), but it's pretty good all by itself, too.

* I tend to just use whatever vegetables I have around at the time, but if I plan ahead, I like to include all of the vegetables I have listed above.  You may substitute or add any other veggies as suits your individual taste.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 04:21:42 PM by eabrace »
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Merseine

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 01:43:05 AM »
/em holdtorch

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 01:32:00 PM »
Instead of a MacDonalds frappe of chemicals make this at home and be far healthier!

1/2 glass of ice
Fill glass 3/4 with milk over the ice (skimmed or lowfat if you like or even Silkmilk soy)
A small shot of flavouring (I like Hersheys Special Dark)
1/2 teaspoon of instant coffee
1/2 scoop of protein powder

Mix in a blender on high and you have a Frappe far better and healthier than any fast food joint. I have this every day before I workout.

goodtime

• Boss
    • my videos
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 11:07:04 PM »

Merseine

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 12:07:16 PM »
/em holdtorch

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 04:00:22 PM »
My favorite recipe.

Actually, Goodtime has what I had in mind when I first saw the title of this thread.  Silly me!  It didn't occur to me to share cooking recipes.  (Believe me, you're better off without mine.)    But given this is about edibles, I'll not post a favorite MIDS build here....   ;)
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

healix

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 06:02:05 PM »
Yah, JR....your Snakehip and chickenlip stew might not appeal to everyone
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Merseine

• Boss
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 07:02:00 PM »
Actually, Goodtime has what I had in mind when I first saw the title of this thread.  Silly me!  It didn't occur to me to share cooking recipes.  (Believe me, you're better off without mine.)    But given this is about edibles, I'll not post a favorite MIDS build here....   ;)

How about we do "Wentworth Recipes" as the next topic over on the Alphabet Game thread?
/em holdtorch

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 08:46:14 PM »
Hi Merseine!  That sounds like an Entropically Chaotically good time to me!  (obscure minor reference to the Entropic Chaos IO set.)   ;)

And as to recipes for edible food, well, "Wok a la Jacques" is pretty much identical to Wok du Jour; i.e. whatever I have on hand that sounds good stir-fried. 
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 08:55:57 PM »
Yah, JR....your Snakehip and chickenlip stew might not appeal to everyone
My Snakehip and Chickenlip stew appeals to those who enjoy extreme dieting; that is, so extreme as to be FASTING!  I can prepare other dishes that more filling than Snakehip and Chickenlip stew - since that dish is practically nothing but color, spices, and sound vibration - however when needed to keep others fasting, I can prepare other concoctions have even less appeal to the taste buds (assuming that's even possible)!!!!

Hi Healix!  Good to see you here!  :)

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 02:40:29 AM »
I love a good recipe.
And when I find one, I like tweaking them, to make them better. For example - I'm sure you've all heard of Nutella, even if you haven't tried it. (and if you haven't, don't! Never try it, unless you're seriously underweight, or have the metabolism of a teenager on cocaine and methamphetamines.)

Make your chocolate chip cookies the way you normally would - only before you add the chocolate chips, take a large spoonful of it and mix it in with it. It provides an incredibly chocolatey flavor, in addition to the chocolate chips.

You can also smear some on some parchment paper and freeze it. Then break pieces off and shove them in the middle of some dough and bake as normal. It's like getting a nutella filled cookie. Very yummy. Freezing isn't necessary - it just makes it easier to work with.

Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Brightfires

• Elite Boss
  • ... is *NOT* Groot
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2013, 04:48:28 PM »
My best cookie experiment so far...

Mixed Chip Cookies (aka 'The Cookies of Doom')

2 1/4 cups      All-Purpose Flour (Or you can use 2 cups of Flour and 1/4 cup of Almond meal, if you happen to have it around-)
1 tsp         Baking Soda
1 tsp         Salt
2 sticks    Butter (softened)
3/4 cup    White Sugar
3/4 cup   Brown Sugar (light or dark)
2 tsp    Vanilla
1 tsp    Almond Extract
2    Eggs (large, room temp)
1 3/4 cups   Semi-Sweet Chocolate (chips or chunks... I like chunks)
1 1/2 cup                  Walnuts or Almonds (chopped)
1 3/4 cups   Toffee bits

1)    Preheat your oven to 375.

2)    Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda. (Cut in the almond meal after sifting, if you're using it-)

3)   Cream the brown sugar, white sugar, butter, vanilla, and almond extract together.
   (Use a mixer, this stuff gets thick once the flour and "stuff" goes in!)

4)    Add the eggs one at a time.

5)    Add the flour mixture a little at a time until it's all incorporated.

6)   Add the chocolate, the nuts, and the toffee a cup at a time, mixing well after each.

7)    Let the dough rest at room temp for about ten minutes.

8 )    Drop by the tablespoon onto parchment-paper lined cookie sheets.
   (Definitely use the parchment! These get REALLY sticky as the toffee melts-)

9)   Bake for around 9 minutes.
   Let them cool on the pan for a minute or two, then move them to a baking rack.
   - One batch of dough will make about 50 cookies.

I've completely silenced a room full of (very) chatty journalists with these cookies. If the Slate crew was too busy munching to say anything, imagine what they'll do to any average pack of office-mates. XD
Taker of screenshots. Player of bird-things.

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2013, 03:54:59 PM »
My best cookie experiment so far...

Mixed Chip Cookies (aka 'The Cookies of Doom')

If you're interested in why choices in the recipe for the fat and the ratio between white and brown sugar work to control the characteristics of the resulting cookie, I point you at the 'Good Eats' episode "Three Chips for Sister Marsha" (episode transcript and recipe links).

healix

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2013, 08:27:56 PM »

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2013, 10:12:46 PM »

I might need to make these cookies for an acquaintance of mine who is afraid of spiders...
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Merseine

• Boss
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2013, 01:48:44 AM »
If you're interested in why choices in the recipe for the fat and the ratio between white and brown sugar work to control the characteristics of the resulting cookie, I point you at the 'Good Eats' episode "Three Chips for Sister Marsha" (episode transcript and recipe links).

Or, you can pick up Shirley Corriher's book Bakewise.  The important cookie page is here (it's not really a recipe, but it's good stuff to know):

Shirley was the older, short-grey-hair scientist who sometimes was a guest on Good Eats.

The reason it was Alton's show and not Shirley's was because Alton made good TV.  He presented a ton of her concepts in ways that people could understand and totally credited her for her contributions. 

Bakewise and Cookwise are THE BEST cookbooks around.  Seriously.  Reading about the difference that protein content makes in flour is practically a religious experience.
/em holdtorch